Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bones
    replied
    I'm real late to the party but I want to express my most sincere congratulations to your son for being accepted to West Point and for doing well in attendance there.

Leave a comment:

• stpierre
    replied
    Congratulations so cool the hard work paid off.

Leave a comment:

• eyhonda
    replied
    Job well done to you and your sons!

Leave a comment:

• behindthetimes
    replied
    I have a photo of my Pop at TMI in 1945........looks just like your kid.Never met yer boyz.......but there's a lot to like.

Leave a comment:

• ricksax
    replied
    Sincerest congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• wildwhl
    replied
    Both boys are finishing school via distance learning, and doing well. The WP version is still quite rigorous. The school district version not so much.

Thanks for the kind words.

WW

Leave a comment:

replied
    That's pretty awesome man. At 16 i would have told you that I was going to be a pro bmx'er, moto x'er, or maybe drug kingpin as my life long career. So it seems your dudes are living in a far more realistic world.

Congrats again.

Do they have to repeat this year? All 4 of my kids school got canceled for the rest of the year. They are getting the option to repeat the grade or to finish virtually. We are hoping our oldest repeats (he is the youngest in his class and struggling) the rest should move on.

Leave a comment:

• riot
    replied
    Congrats on your parenting success so far WW. One of the most important an difficult achievements!

When they coined the term Long Grey Line, they may have been looking at a photo of your son!

Leave a comment:

• 69Falcon
    replied
    West Point is an impressive institution, in many different aspects. Glad to hear your young men are doing well.

Leave a comment:

• wildwhl
    replied
    Sooo...the world is a very strange place right now.

Early March we traveled to the USMA and attended Plebe Parent Weekend. Our DS traveled home with us after, and has been here since due to Covid19 stuff (but that parts boring - and yes, I'm happy to have him around).

The weekend was an incredible event, and I'm grateful that we were able to attend. The campus is extraordinary and sitting in on the classroom setting was great- because I'm 100% confident Spencer is exactly where he wants to be, and should be, at this point in his career.

Riley (younger brother) not only found a piano to play while there, but also had the balls to coin the Sup after one of his presentations. Turns out Lieutenant General Darryl A. Williams and much of his staff at WP were involved with controlling the Ebola outbreak a few years back. His medical officer (yeah, I'll get names/ranks/titles wrong) is an epidemiologist - and that is what my youngest son intends to do with his life. Short version is after coining the Sup (they swapped coins - Hug Hawks Regimental coin for a WP Sup coin is pretty legit I think) Riley spent 20-30 minutes talking with said medical officer. They discussed this outbreak before it became as serious as it has, as well as available pathways through the military for Riley to achieve his goals. Kid sort of turned a 180 after our weekend to WP and now thinks one of the academies might be his path. He's also an extremely talented musician so can be somewhat fickle, but what do you want for 16? We shall see where it goes.

Anyway, here are a few photos of our visit.

WW/R

IMG_1118.jpg

60521408035__4780A848-8B84-4E62-AEBC-DA8837A4A0E0.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

Leave a comment:

• nozzle
    replied
    If you are interested in how the West Point Graduates find the job they are guaranteed to have at the end of their four years, this may be of interest...

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...l-soon-follow/

Leave a comment:

• dagus
    replied
    I'm in awe. Much respect. I wish I'd had my head screwed on that straight at his age.

Leave a comment:

• SPA
    replied
    Outstanding !

Leave a comment:

• wildwhl
    replied
    Originally Posted by 6 View Post

So after this is all done will he still have to go through basic to join the army?

I know i asked this, and you kind of answered, but.. here i go again..
    Can he fly Jets? You said he is good at math... You need math to fly... He obviously has a good idea about airborne physics if he can shoot well.

I joined the air-force under the false idea that you can work your way from e-1 through the ranks and fly jets (that's happened like once in the history of the air-force, they don't tell you that part at the recruiter). I can not imagine a better job in the world.. Most guys that get rich enough then go buy a jet.... The really ballsy ones buy a fighter jet and pay to learn and fly it. Imagine if you can get PAID to fly REAL fighter jets.. Cummon, it has to be a thought in the back of his brain,. no?

Just imagine. He may even learn if UFO's are really from another world/dimension... .

Ya, i'm retarded. But its an exciting thought. I have never known anyone to actually do what he is doing. Just heard of those types of guys in books and documentaries. The ones that actually take the GOOD hard road from an early age.
    He went through 5 weeks of basic last summer before entering West Point (they call it Beast). He will continue with training in the summers until he is done, and then will enter the Army for 5-7 years to fulfill his commitment. Spencer actually has no interest in flying at all. He declared his major last week for Mechanical Engineering which sort of makes sense, though I expect he will eventually go down a mathematics specific pathway. A lot can happen to these cadets as they gain their education and work their way through West Point (true at all the academies) so it is hard to say exactly where he will land in 4 years.

More realistic flying these days is piloting drone (remote piloting). While unlikely, I'm hopeful that he lands an advanced education gig paid for by the military after his 4 years. Doesn't happen too often but does happen. His greatest asset is his brain for certain and that's where he can do the rest of us the most good.

WW

PS - he has a great smile, but honestly looks serious most of the time.

Screen Shot 2020-02-06 at 1.20.01 PM.png

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post

He was more mature for sure. Army does that I suppose. Basically West Point is hard core academics mixed with rifle team and a lot of military training thrown in during the summers (in his case, at least). Carried over 20 credits 1st semester and managed a 3.5 GPA which isn't bad at all (Most Plebes are around a 2.5 GPA their first year). I think he has 21.5 credits right now.

It's a rigorous life, and I'll be glad to see him a month from today for Parent Plebe Weekend. He will come home for a few days with us after that weekend and we intend to go blow off some steam together at that time.

Thanks for asking 6.

WW
    So after this is all done will he still have to go through basic to join the army?

I know i asked this, and you kind of answered, but.. here i go again..
    Can he fly Jets? You said he is good at math... You need math to fly... He obviously has a good idea about airborne physics if he can shoot well.

I joined the air-force under the false idea that you can work your way from e-1 through the ranks and fly jets (that's happened like once in the history of the air-force, they don't tell you that part at the recruiter). I can not imagine a better job in the world.. Most guys that get rich enough then go buy a jet.... The really ballsy ones buy a fighter jet and pay to learn and fly it. Imagine if you can get PAID to fly REAL fighter jets.. Cummon, it has to be a thought in the back of his brain,. no?

Just imagine. He may even learn if UFO's are really from another world/dimension... .

Ya, i'm retarded. But its an exciting thought. I have never known anyone to actually do what he is doing. Just heard of those types of guys in books and documentaries. The ones that actually take the GOOD hard road from an early age.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X