No announcement yet.

aluminium hawk tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a new tank is made, it would have to be an OEM replacement. Work with OEM airbox and seat.
    OEM fuel cap mount a must. You can replace the OEM gas cap if you want. Or buy a lightweight keyless. That's not part of the tank anyways.

It's probably going to be expensive, so I'm not imagining a lot of people whipping out their checkbook for a new tank, other than those who are desperate for a replacement. But I haven't heard about or seen my tank for a while now, so already working on plan B.
    Last edited by Yoshihns; 09-14-2021, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Yoshihns View Post
      If a new tank is made, it would have to be an OEM replacement. Work with OEM airbox and seat.
      OEM fuel cap mount a must. You can replace the OEM gas cap if you want. Or buy a lightweight keyless. That's not part of the tank anyways.

It's probably going to be expensive, so I'm not imagining a lot of people whipping out their checkbook for a new tank, other than those who are desperate for a replacement. But I haven't heard about or seen my tank for a while now, so already working on plan B.
      You are the craftsman; I'm just a potential customer.

In my particular case, I would like a larger, improved tank, because I have a modified Hawk that I would like to ride on longer trips. I can handle the price for a trick tank.

In the case of a restoration, I don't know if it pencils out. That is, if one buys a $2000 Hawk with a rusted tank, is it worth another $2000 to get an aluminum replacement? You and the marketplace will have to decide that one.

Comment

I think its a lot of extra work for the OEM fuel cap... the seal surface and the look mechanism is between cap and tank if I remember right
        I like the Newton equipment aero gas caps easier to install and with option like vented or keys to close...

Comment

hard to put a price on a tank that will never rust, as rare as tanks are now.. a rusty tank means a limited lifespan on our bikes unless you use one off another bike that doesn't look quite right.. part of why I love the hawk is it's shape. I think Kiyo still makes the carbon tanks, but personally.. i'm not a fan of the humpback look it gives the bike.

luis is probably right, utilizing an OEM style cap would be pretty hard and i'm sure add considerable cost..

sorry i'm just over here dreaming of not worrying about my tank anymore

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

I did na f2 tank with a 748 tail once time.. the tank doesn't fit the frame well but looks great with the tail. So next bike I built was an f3 with a 748 tail.. loved it.
            Was that the tank that was on the track bike in your old ID photo ?

I picked up a bros/hawk with a diff sub frame and a 748 seat - free to anyone who wants it for shipping costs, its a bit rough, not one to show the mega good fabricators here, can send photos if anyones interested - its just sitting on a shelf in the garage - but I'm in Australia so shipping might be $100- 200

Comment

Was it red/white and black?

If so, yes.
              Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Working...
              X