Rumours of a Hawk death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rumours of a Hawk death

So on my way home from work tonight I was playing a "spirited" game tag with a guy on a late model CBR. After he exited, I was cruising home and my motor lost all power!
    I have been doing alot of carb work lately in addition to the new exhaust and Unipod installations - so I had a moment of panick.
    As I was coasting to a stop on one of the main arteries that lead into NYC I had my ears tuned to the motor - you know you've done it - trying to listen for parts falling off or gears grinding...
    When I coasted to a stop I planted my feet and turned to see how far I'ld have to schlep this thing to safety - to far.
    After stopping and looking over the bike for obvious issues, I realized that I had run out of fuel!
    Der.
    Been in a cage to much lately and forgot about the short range of the Hawk.
    Anyway, turned to reserve and fired up after a few minutes of trying.

"Rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."
    Jeremy
    '88 grey

Honda Hawk GT NT650...photo blog
    "...you gonna bark all day little doggie. . .or are you gonna bite?"

sorry to hear about that... My petcock only really works in reserve so I tend to be extra paranoid about fuel. It'll be nice to get one of them fancy kiyo carbon tanks, but i think it costs more than my bike's worth.

Perhaps you should start carrying around a ziplock bag filled with gasoline!
    It's scary how slow I am!

'88 HawkGT - crashed as all hell - Hiperform subframe, VFR rear wheel, F3 front end, Penske shock.

'05 Ducati S2R - Monstrack mirrors, CRG levers, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder, ProItalia tail chop, Arrow damper, Nichols flywheel, Suburban Machinery bars

Comment

Your problem's not your tank, it's the petcock assembly. The whole thing costs $25, get your local shop to order it. Doesn't take much to replace, either - just DON'T over-torque the nut, don't even use a wrench! You'll chew up the o-ring gasket (ask me how I know) if you screw it down any tighter than you can do with your fingers.
      1988 "BlackHawk" project
      1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
      1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
      People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

sorry, let me clarify, my total range on my hawk gets me paranoid. The kiyo tank has at least a gallon more capacity than the standard hawk tank. Thanks for the petcock tip... I eventually have to swap out the petcock and gas cap to my spare tank, since my original has about 2 pints of storage dented outta it.
        It's scary how slow I am!

'88 HawkGT - crashed as all hell - Hiperform subframe, VFR rear wheel, F3 front end, Penske shock.

'05 Ducati S2R - Monstrack mirrors, CRG levers, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder, ProItalia tail chop, Arrow damper, Nichols flywheel, Suburban Machinery bars

Comment

Working...
        X