Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

took a msf (motorcycle safty class) and passed

I took a motorcylce safty class and passed im happy
    A Link to the pics I have taken for the 2007 Scavenger hunt.

http://bikepics.com/members/deadlego/p2/

Good job! Is that Gixxer on the road yet?

Comment

no Im getting tires on tue and picking the bike up on weds. So im looking to get it taged on thurs
      A Link to the pics I have taken for the 2007 Scavenger hunt.

http://bikepics.com/members/deadlego/p2/

Comment

Re: took a msf (motorcycle safty class) and passed

Originally Posted by Deadlego
        I took a motorcylce safty class and passed im happy
        passings good... but did ya learn much? lol.

i didnt realize how helpful it was until i was almost rearended a couple weeks later.
        without that course, i wouldnt have ever thought to be looking in my mirrors like that

Comment

yup even when i dive a car, im allways scanning.
          1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

I always make a habit to flash my brakes, a lot, anyone else do this?

Comment

Rear ending is a real danger.... something I learned the hard way when a ford bronco nailed me while I was making a left u-turn. Suddenly I was flipping over the bars and had no idea what happened because I wasn't aware the guy was there. To be fair to me there were two lanes heading in the direction I was going before making the turn. There weren't any other vehicles around so he could have easily made it past me. When he hit me I was actually already partially over the center line. This happened about 15 years ago on my fj1100. The bike suffered about $2000 damage and I had to have physical therapy on my neck. Thankfully I had a full faced helmet on or my jaw probably would have been broken. To my astonishment the police investigator pinned the accident on me (Vermont law has some weird twists) - I am in full view of the guy the whole time and he rear ends me? How could it be my fault when he had so much room to pass? Because of the police report the guys insurance company wouldn't pay. But my lawyer corrected their thinking

I still feel some residual pain in my neck after 15 years. Which is why I sometimes bitch about the fact that car drivers can get away with hitting and or killing motorcyclists with little more than a fine. I don't think the guy that hit me even got that.
              '88 Hawk GT
              '89 Harley FXSTC
              2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

man I might has well tell my story.

I was driving down the street and two or three cars in front of me a guy is making a right hand turn into a driveway. the cars in front of me slow and I do the same. well I suddenly hear a screeching from behind me. my gut reaction was to get out of the way. I quickly pulled over to the shoulder, from a dead stop, popped it into first and moved it. so I basically pulled up next to the car in front of me. then I looked back to figure out what was going on. turns out a guy locked up his brakes wile slowing down. didn't hit anyone and it really was no big deal.

but the thing that made me feel real good was that my first reaction was to move. I didn't even have to think about it I just did it. I have had a few "close calls" but fallowing a safe riding technique all the time got me out of them.

one other time I was just riding around and had the engine ceased up on me (I think) wile doing about 70-80mph. the tire locked up and the back started to slide back and fourth. I came so close to getting bucked off. I still wasn't sure what was going on at that point so I brake and just for the hell of it I pulled the clutch in also. well that disengaged the motor from the back wheel and I started to role smoothly again. if I didn't pull the clutch in I would have been going to the hospital for sure. I had my helmet but no gloves and no jacket. bad thing is if I had just stayed on top of my maintenance of the bike I would have known that I was about a quart low on oil. also I was going full blast at about 100-110mph less than 500 yards back. idiot light came on after I stopped.

a story im not proud of but if shearing it helps keep one of you from making the same mistake im glad to shear. just because you got a few years of riding under your belt don't think your not a rookie and are above making rookie mistake still. that was the lesson I learned on that one.
                1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

Working...
                X