Best tires yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tires yet

Just got a set of Pirelli Scorpion SYNC and I have to say they are the best tires yet, I have put on the hawk. I had a set of Dunlop Qualifiers and I hated the things, they were the worst tires ever for city riding. They were cracking after less than a year with around 3500 mile on them (Junk). Who else here commutes and what tires do you run.

Re: Best tires yet

Originally Posted by Texhawk
    Just got a set of Pirelli Scorpion SYNC and I have to say they are the best tires yet, I have put on the hawk. I had a set of Dunlop Qualifiers and I hated the things, they were the worst tires ever for city riding. They were cracking after less than a year with around 3500 mile on them (Junk). Who else here commutes and what tires do you run.
    yea, to love the qualifiers, you're going to have to leave the city.

i commute... and mess around... and i guess i just accept the fact that i'll be buying new tires ever 3,000 miles or so.

Comment

I was thinking of putting some Pirelli Diablo Stradas on my S2R. One of the Ducati mechanics looked at the wear patterns of my current Diablos and suggested that the stradas will give me mileage because of its tougher center and the outer edges are made of stickier stuff. This will accomodate my riding habits just fine since I do mainly 500 miles of street riding for every 100 miles of canyon riding.
      It's scary how slow I am!

'88 HawkGT - crashed as all hell - Hiperform subframe, VFR rear wheel, F3 front end, Penske shock.

'05 Ducati S2R - Monstrack mirrors, CRG levers, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder, ProItalia tail chop, Arrow damper, Nichols flywheel, Suburban Machinery bars

Comment

I commute, on bendy country roads

Currently running Diablos 110/70, 170/60 which are great in the dry, horrifyingly vague in the wet.

Previously had Metzeler Sportec M-1 110/70, 160/70 which were good. I felt they were not quite so grippy in the dry, but miles better in the wet, and longer lasting. I felt the 160 rear was too "tippy" for me. I felt the back was dropping into turns and didn't like it. I really like the planted feel of the 170 rear.

I've also run MEZ1/MEZ4 combination and MEZ3 in the past both in 110/70, 170/60 and remember them fondly and got plenty of miles on them. I think you can still get Z4s...

Eric

Comment

z4's are not a good tire on the hawk IMHO. the profile is too flat. better for commuting but doesn't make the handling any fun. try the Z6 or better yet the diablo strada if you want more mileage but still good stick. I use the stradas on my FJR and get 10k miles out of them (including track days riding two up). Strada for mileage, M3 for sport riding (better than the M1 in all ways including mileage). supercorsa for track/racing.

Comment

Hmmm,
            maybe folding the 170mm Z4 onto the stock rim made it round? I seemed to do ok on it. That was the set up I rode down to the ECHR on, and I don't recall holding anyone up

That was a long time ago, and in all honesty, at that point I probably wouldn't have been able to tell if the tyres were cack. Ahh to have that ratio of ignorance/speed again... I suppose it's moot really, as I was running the stickier Z1 on the front, and can't vouch for a Z4 front... I have to defer to your superior insider knowledge anyway, Jeff.

If you say the new M3 is superior to the M1, that sounds excellent, for something on the sporty side. I liked the M1, but if it could have lasted longer, and had better dry grip while keeping the wet grip, that would be ace.

Did you say you're doing two-up track days on an FJR!?

Comment

FJR

of course??? isnt' that what it's all about? sharing the ride with others???

seriously it's a pretty fun bike but I'm going ot have to get rid of it and move back to a sport bike. I can't keep enough corner speed for the twisty roads around here and the wife doesn't like it either.

might be a GSXR1k in my near future.

Jeff

Comment

FJR

double post.

Comment

ive always thought of the FJR as one of the best daily driver and long trip bikes out there.... id own one if they didnt cost as much as a damn car.. lol.

Comment

anyone out there want a good deal on an 05 FJR? let me know. around $8k. 24k miles 2005 with a few nice additions..

Comment

ME Z4s, etc

I've been commuting on MEZ4s for a couple of years now. My commute takes me over Topanga Canyon Road every day, and I have no complaints. I'm no knee-dragger, but I'll scrape the pegs here and there and these tires have been consistently solid and responsive and completely confidence-inspiring. I've put thousands of miles on them and they're not dead yet.

For my next tires, I'm looking at Metzeler Roadtec Z6s or Conti Road Attacks. Again, I'm not a racer and I know I'm not near the performance limits of the bike or most decent tires, but the Z4s have definitely helped me become a much better rider. I would recommend them to anybody from a pure city-street commuter to a weekend canyon carver.

Comment

Working...
                      X