Tips on cleaning bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on cleaning bike

I'm looking to give my Bros a good wash and polish over the next week now I've finished laying a new driveway as I've another week off work.

I'm specifically looking for advice on the best materials / products to use to clean:

+ Rust on the chrome on the inside of the stock exhaust

+ Blotchy patches on the crank case which I can't seen to shift with elbow grease. Not sure if these have been caused by road salt/grit.

Overall, I'd like to get a high polished shine on most of the bike like on some of the hawks on here. Does anyone recommend using dremmel type buffing/polishing tools or is elbow grease the best way to go?
    '88 Bros NT650J
    Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
    Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
    Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

I used an angle grinder with a polishing wheel on it and some polishing compounds. I removed the clear coat on the fork tubes and the paint on the wheels with Low Odor Aircraft stripper. It works great. There is also a metal polish that uses what smells like kerosene and looks like it is on cotton, which seems to polish uncoated but relatively clear (no corrosion) aluminum, which uses elbow grease. Somewhere on this site there is a tread about polishing and how to do it like a pro. If I find it I'll stick the link in here for you.
    '88 Hawk GT
    '89 Harley FXSTC
    2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

I found some all purpose cleaning paste that is good for most surfaces including chrome and metals. It brings up my chrome taps great. So I applied a little to one of the blotchy patches (almost like something had been spilt on it) on the crack case. It has removed the offending blotch but I also noticed it has removed the surface coat from the crank, resulting in a slightly lighter coloured patch underneath, i.e. the bare metal.

I have a question... Is the crank case painted or laquered and is it ok to go the whole hog and polish the whole area removing this suface coat? If I do go ahead and do this could it weather to an odd colour or become dull over time without this coating? Any input from anyone who has specifically polished their crank case would be great. I also tried a small patch of the paste on one the exhaust header pipe and it brought it up great and required much less elbow grease than the crank case.
      '88 Bros NT650J
      Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
      Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals

Comment

Should be fine- just keep it waxed and clean it regularly. I polished the engine cases on an fj 1100 and there were no long term problems. You can also apply new clear coat to your polished surfaces if you want to protect them without waxing occasionally.
        '88 Hawk GT
        '89 Harley FXSTC
        2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

Originally Posted by motorcycleman
          Should be fine- just keep it waxed and clean it regularly. I polished the engine cases on an fj 1100 and there were no long term problems. You can also apply new clear coat to your polished surfaces if you want to protect them without waxing occasionally.
          zoopseal works great.... but it costs alot.

Comment

btw, for grease removal.. SimpleGreen kicks butt.... it will make even the greasyist, nastyist, grime ground into the pores of a cast part clean.
            down side is, if you let it sit on the bike for a few days, it will eventually stain/eat the alum..... so you have to rinse it good.

but it works very well.. especially for that initial clean when you first start cleaning her up.

Comment

Thanks for the tips Mr Dude. I think I may have to get one of those polishing wheels for my drill otherwise it will take a very long time.
              '88 Bros NT650J

Comment

Working...
              X