Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riding with mistmatched tires... is it really bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riding with mistmatched tires... is it really bad?

Hi,
    So, my rear tire is worn out, but the front tire is good to go (60%). My question is, is it really that bad to buy another tire with different tread patterns, and ride around? I want to get a tire that is very well priced off of ebay and a good performer (according to the threads on the forum), but it doesn't match the front. The Dunlop website claims this... however, I am pretty sure I remember in the 4 years I have been riding, seeing people with mismatched tires. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
    Thank you,
    Drin
    You know your a hawkaddict when you check ebay and craigslist every hour for parts to upgrade

In my opinion it doesn't really matter awfully - for road riding anyway. Brand new & matched tyres always seems best. I've tried all sorts of combinations of Michelins/Bridgestones/Pirellis and after half a dozen miles I can't tell the difference really. I've never had the opportunity to test brand new mismatched tyres so my testing isn't exactly conclusive. I think the Hawk/Bros is fairly forgiving, tyre-wise.

No-one. especially tyre companies, are going to advise you to do this, mind.
    '95 ShaftHawk 650P>
    Front: Bros Mk2 front wheel; Mk1 forks; MetalGear disc; NC30 caliper; cb1 yoke.
    Breathing: Hacked up and shortened ART tri-can on collector and link pipe from DemonTweeks.
    Other: RGV bars; DefT dash; modded subframe; modded rearsets; relocated ignition.

'91 Bros 650 Mk1>
    Currently off the road.

Comment

the bike will feel diffrent with diffrent front/rear tire combos...just like any tire brand/model change..... although no modern tire front and rear is going to be unridable... like anytime you try new tires, just be careful at first and get a feel for it.

Comment

What you don't want to do is mismatch radials with biasply. That could present handling problems.
        '88 Hawk GT
        '89 Harley FXSTC
        2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

I'd also be a little more cautious in the rain, as the tread patterns of matched front/rear are designed to work together to improve grip in the wet, mis-matched tires won't
          Mike/Kilter
          They smile because I'm different--I laugh because they are all the same

Comment

Originally Posted by motorcycleman
            What you don't want to do is mismatch radials with biasply. That could present handling problems.
            +1

I've done it on my Concours and had no problems. When they wore out and I changed to a matched set (bias/bias) I immediately wondered "What was I thinking?!". It's a much better "feel" with the same construction tire on both front and back. My Concours does highway duty and 2 up most of the time.
            Mark
            88 HawkGT (original owner)
            99 Concours
            02 VFR800

Comment

I've mixed tires and even radials/bias. I don't ride very hard but haven't really noticed any problems. The only problem I have ever had tire-wise was a Metzeler that didn't grip very well but that had nothing to do with the fact that I mixed tires.
              Brian - Richland, WA
              1991 Hawk GT
              1997 VFR

Comment

i have always stuck with one brand but for every front i go throu two rears.
                1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

Working...
                X