dumbass "stunter" question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumbass "stunter" question..

lol, im almost embaressed for admitting it, but... i kinda like doing stoppies...
    the other, non hawk bikes ive had, could do them, but they didnt WANT to do them.. you had to try, and really, thats just silly.... i almost never did them.

but my hawk.... well, we all know how easy-going and nice they are... and now that i have big brakes and a sticky front tire on her.. what once was hard to do, can now be done easily..
    its like she almost wants to dance on the front wheel.. its just so easy to do.... and im giggling in my helmet like an idiot while doing it.. i still cant believe how quick she stops. or how easily.

and now for the stupid question... how do you put the back wheel down softly?
    i noticed if i roll off the brake before im fully stopped, its softER.. but man, its still dropping the back of the hawk straight down... i know slamming down wheelies wrecks headbearings.. and im sure slamming down the tail is beating the crap out of something.... id like to know how to set it down a bit softer.... any ideas?

Re: maybe?

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
    id like to know how to set it down a bit softer.... any ideas?

'95 ShaftHawk 650P>
    Front: Bros Mk2 front wheel; Mk1 forks; MetalGear disc; NC30 caliper; cb1 yoke.
    Breathing: Hacked up and shortened ART tri-can on collector and link pipe from DemonTweeks.
    Other: RGV bars; DefT dash; modded subframe; modded rearsets; relocated ignition.

'91 Bros 650 Mk1>
    Currently off the road.

Comment

Re: maybe?

Originally Posted by DefTrap
      id like to know how to set it down a bit softer.... any ideas?

good idea.. you hold it.

OH and before anyone gets any ideas.. the reason i want a new shock is not for my wannabe stunter tendencies lol... my current shock really is letting the spring bounce and waller around while cornering.. not the most setteling feeling....especially since the front end is PLANTED and the bike doesnt do it all together... just the back moves...

i just really dont want to be associated with the retarded stunter crowd.. even if i like having a little idiotic fun myself...

Comment

Let off the brake sooner. you'll start doing some nice rolling endos...

Seriously Mine come down hard too. I think you just have to lean forward more as it starts to come down to slow the decent.

http://www.cbr600f4.com/secondary_pages/phuzzy3.html

http://www.superstreetbike.com/stunt...k_street_bike/

FWIW a stoppie is one of the most important tricks to master. It really give you a feel for just how much power you have in a front brake. I don't think people can effectively use the front brake for 50% of its worth unless they practice panic stops and stoppies.

My ERC instructor was NOT impressed with my stoppie ability during the panic braking part. The rest of the class was and I stopped shorter than anyone else, but the instructor wasn't.
        BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
        Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
        "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Originally Posted by Doc
          Let off the brake sooner. you'll start doing some nice rolling endos...
          heh, only for a couple feet... im no where up near the balance point, and i dont intend to try to get there.. of all the stupid ways to dump my hawk, that ranks right up there with "forgetting to put the kickstand down"..

Originally Posted by Doc
          Seriously Mine come down hard too. I think you just have to lean forward more as it starts to come down to slow the decent.

http://www.cbr600f4.com/secondary_pages/phuzzy3.html

http://www.superstreetbike.com/stunt...k_street_bike/
          thanks for the links...

good places to practice stoppies include clean parking lots, roads fronting co-ed dorms, and the streets adjacent to hospitals.
          OOOH! i know of a parkinglot between a co-ed doorm and a hospital!!!

Comment

Best laugh I had all day
            1988 "BlackHawk" project
            1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
            1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
            People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Originally Posted by douglas.thompson
              Best laugh I had all day
              lol, best part is.. im not lying.. one of the dorms for charleston southern university is next to Trident medical center...

Originally Posted by Doc
              My ERC instructor was NOT impressed with my stoppie ability during the panic braking part. The rest of the class was and I stopped shorter than anyone else, but the instructor wasn't.
              yea, im probably going to take an MSF refresher in the near future here.. i know i will loft the rear under the "stop as fast as you can" part... question is... how will they react to it.

i can see it now:
              stop with your front brake: 5ft... yelled at for lifting the rear.
              stop with your rear brake: 15ft.
              stop with both brakes (trying to show that two are better then one)... 10ft with the rear skidding.. because im trying to keep the rear on the ground and stop fast.

Comment

lol
                A Link to the pics I have taken for the 2007 Scavenger hunt.

http://bikepics.com/members/deadlego/p2/

Comment

Working...
                X