Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is so great about the hawk?

Why do you own a Hawk?

Some of you have more or less a totally stock Hawk while others have done everything they can to change the bike into something totally different.

Why have you kept it stock? If that is the case.

Why have to totally changed the bike? If that is the case.

why stock? because im broke
    Avatar courtesy of http://www.elizabethraab.com/
    1988 Honda Hawk NT650 GT

Comment

Stock is boring especially if you are longer in bikes.
      I don't own a Hawk only to ride it. That for I got a BMW
      I own a Hawk for doing mods. If you're sitting on a computer the whole day it's fun doing something real like rebuilding a bike. I also like the Hawk because of the Hawk-Community. And it's much cheaper than customizing Harleys

bye, M.
      --- memento mori ---

Comment

I wouldn't call stock boring. I like to call it "classic". Its amazing how much attention my bike gets when I have it out, and its completely stock. modified hawks are gorgeous too, its just a personal choice. probably the only way I'd change something is if I crashed it & was unable to get replacement parts.

I'm the same way about cars, except for the engines. muscle cars with huge blown engines, I love to hear them scream. guess thats why I'm a drag race fan, raw horsepower. I spend most of my free time at the race track.
        1988 Honda Hawk
        mcra track crash truck

Comment

Mine is mostly stock. I have a hard time justifying thousands of dollars in mods to a bike that is only worth a couple of thousand. Besides, no matter what you do it is still going to be slow in comparison to other bikes. The stock handling while a little soft is still better than many other bikes. I am perfectly happy with it the way it is. I only replace things when they need replacing, like sticking in a k&N filter when it was time to replace the filter anyway.
          Brian - Richland, WA
          1991 Hawk GT
          1997 VFR

Comment

if nothing ever wore out or broke, it would have stayed stock....

but why fix when you can upgrade??

Comment

mine was downed a few times before I got it, so my stock hawk was alittle ugly, plus making changes to it a so much fun, you can make it totally your own, nooone will have a bike like yours. If I could have two hawks I would keep one completely stock and have my modded toy bike to play around on
              -NEVER LET YOUR FEARS STAND IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS-
              Most of the pics I have of my Hawk/Mods: http://gallery.me.com/stevenhowell

"Arseing about with my bikes will end in tears." -Keno04

"Dress for the slide, not the ride" - ParcNHawk

Comment

Stock is its own kind of beautiful, like a time capsule, when your bike is nearly 20 years old.

But, I love the Hawk because I'm able to (piece by piece) create my absolute dream bike out of it... I don't know if I could do what I've done with another bike and have quite the same result. Beautiful frame, and the first production SSSA I believe... skinny profile for lanesplitting... in my opinion, the Hawk's lines are just beautiful. And it's a V-twin with a beautiful exhaust note.
                1988 "BlackHawk" project
                1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
                1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
                People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

i was lucky that the hawkgt was my first bike

im a creative person at heart so me and the hawk are a perfect match

but if money was no object i would have three to my collection

1 track
                  2 full custom
                  3 100% stocker

thats the order im working on them too
                  1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

I am actually quite torn about the issue as far as stock or modded out. Mine is still quite stock looking sans the bars, rearsets and supertrapp. My goal was to make kind of a 'sleeper' and keep it as stock-looking as possible while modding the performance aspects.
                    Besides, look at that a$$... I think she has the best lines stock.

A little over a year ago, I picked up my Hawk at the Honda Shop after having seen it in there several times over about 6 months. The bike was actually privately owned by one of the salesman there and he gave me quite the quiz about Hawks before selling it to me. Luckily, I had been on the net looking around a good bit at the Hawk and was able to answer enough questions to convince him he was turning this bike over to a worthy owner. As an '89 with 9k miles, he wanted $3000, but took $2800. Now a year later with over 14k miles on the ticker, I couldn't imagine having bought something else. It hasn't coughed, spit, or sputtered even once and has always started on the first try. Always.
                    So far everyone that has had one says, "well, that's a Honda."

I've owned a 91 GSX-r750 and a gs550es and this bike is my favorite hands down. Mostly because of how it rides.

I catch a lot of hell from my friends about my Hawk, actually. I am 6'3"+ and at about 275 lbs I look like and elephant riding a peanut (so I've been told). They are all sick of me talking about bikes and shooting them emails with videos from my gas tank or new pics from the latest ride.

And like I said, she's got a great a$$.

THATS why a Hawk.
                    “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used”

- Hunter S. Thompson

1989 Hawk GT - As a whole, it is gone, but it now lives vicariously as a small part of several other Hawks on this website.
                    1997 VFR 750 - D&D exhaust

Comment

Almost completely stock, except for ss brake lines and a Corbin.

I'd like to update the turn signals, suspension, wiring harness (relay), headlight, and add VFR800 clipons and bar-end mirrors. I'd also love to paint it screaming yellow. But the Hawk is my first bike ever and I promised I'd wait until I'd ridden a year to make any mods.
                      '89 Hawk GT

Comment

But then, when I see something like this:

All kinds of crazy ideas go through my head about what I COULD do with my Hawk.

Sigh.
                        “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used”

- Hunter S. Thompson

1989 Hawk GT - As a whole, it is gone, but it now lives vicariously as a small part of several other Hawks on this website.
                        1997 VFR 750 - D&D exhaust

Comment

That sure is sweet!
                          '88 Hawk GT
                          '89 Harley FXSTC
                          2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

The Hawk is the concept bike that Honda would never consider greenlighting today. It's the Honda NAS of 1988, the equivalent of a Bimota Tesi 3D ridden to a Poison concert. It's the only 20-year-old bike I can think of that, if Honda produced it today exactly as it was, could sit next to everything else that's new on the showroom floor and look like a 2008 model. Forget "retro."

Can't say that of the '88 Hurricane, can you?
                            1988 "BlackHawk" project
                            1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
                            1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
                            People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

And like I said, she's got a great a$$.
                              She certainly does have a nice tushy
                              -NEVER LET YOUR FEARS STAND IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS-
                              Most of the pics I have of my Hawk/Mods: http://gallery.me.com/stevenhowell

"Arseing about with my bikes will end in tears." -Keno04

"Dress for the slide, not the ride" - ParcNHawk

Comment

Working...
                              X