When does your bike need to be switched to reserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When does your bike need to be switched to reserve

I did a search and see some people said 150 miles I had to switch to reserve at 100 miles the other day, what gives? When I filled up I think I put 2.3 gallons in...I wasn't geting on it I don't think, and there was NO highway driving, all in town, does that make that big of a difference? I am not leaking fuel or anything, let me know if this is normal, thanks,

Jason
    Damn right it's a Hawk GT

Mine hits reserve between 100 and 110 miles
    '88 Bros NT650J
    Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
    Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
    Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

I've got a Pingle petcock, therefore no reserve. If i'm riding pretty hard, 100 miles is pushing it. I've ran out @ 99.7 miles. I had to stop, lean the bike over to the petcock side, then restart it, and go like hell to coast as far as I could. I ended up pushing it across an intersection to the gas station. I'd have made it if it wasn't for the traffic light, dammit.
      A Honda amongst a sea of Harleys

Comment

100 to 100, for me too. I think I can go to 130 on reserve maybe?
        1988 "BlackHawk" project
        1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
        1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
        People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

100 is about the norm I think. I have run completely out before. A couple of us at work who ride like to pull pranks and turn each others gas to reserve, or off. I can go about 3/4 mile if it gets turned to off while sitting.
          -God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me.

Comment

ya when you ride in a group and anyone knows the hawk they always say:
            "ahh not a hawk we are going to be stoping every 30 minutes for gas"

but since most people dont know what it is you hardly ever hear that.
            1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

Hey all sup, Ive been riding a while and Ive almost always left the petcock on constant flow petcocks(They dont require a vacuum line to get the gas flowing)on reserve why keep stressing the O-rings with the twisting action of turning back and forth. I say just leave it on reserve and fuggit about it.

Comment

Oh and the hawks range is about 120-140 miles stock(depending on ambient conditions and octane).......

Comment

Best I have done is 120km before reserve.

Comment

I can go 120 before reserve but I usually fill up at 90-100 miles.
                    Brian - Richland, WA
                    1991 Hawk GT
                    1997 VFR

Comment

Comment

Originally Posted by hawksonfire
                        Hey all sup, Ive been riding a while and Ive almost always left the petcock on constant flow petcocks(They dont require a vacuum line to get the gas flowing)on reserve why keep stressing the O-rings with the twisting action of turning back and forth. I say just leave it on reserve and fuggit about it.
                        man calm down

many of us have modified bikes that lower fuel economy and increase performance. also some of us dont have a fuel gauge to look at. has a matter of fact my hawk that i road as a daily rider for more than five years only had the tach and temp gauge. so i would run it down and switch over to my reserve wile rolling down the road and that was my only indication i would be needing fuel soon.

so before you open your mouth again and start calling me stupid has well. maybe you should do some reading.

Originally Posted by hawksonfire
                        not cool
                        1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

yeah i still find out the hard way when im out of gas...
                          Avatar courtesy of http://www.elizabethraab.com/
                          1988 Honda Hawk NT650 GT

Comment

Mine gets probably 100miles, though I always get scared and fill at about 70 to 80, cause out here, some gas stations are 30 - 50 miles apart...

One time, the Hawk died on me on my way home. I had stopped at the usual gas station on the 60 mile stretch home I always hit and there was this freak thunderstorm rolling through and their electric was out. I took off without filling and as I started up a hill some miles down the road - in the rain - the bike sputters and dies just as I crest. I thought maybe the fuse box or spark had gotten wet at first then realized I'd gone past the gas station without getting gas. I coasted down the other side to try to kick it and no luck. Then, realized I'd rolled myself into a valley where the cell phone reception was nonexistant. After standing next to my bike in the rain - hardly any traffic (like one car every 10 minutes passes) for about an hour a guy offers me a ride to get gas and I took him up on it. We go to his house and he apparently loves watersports as he had seadoos, boats, etc... but no gas. So we go to his buddy's house and he gives me some gas. I give him $10 for his hospitality and we're on our way. Mind you we have driven to about 15 minutes from my bike. The guy took me back and wouldn't take anything for the ride so I thanked him graciously and put the gas into my tank. I put the key in and gave it a try to no avail. I figured the carbs might need to prime so I tried it once more. Then I felt a pit fall through my stomach to the ground below. I am not one who ever uses the engine on/off switch. Ever. Don't know why. But I flipped it to "on" and hit the start button. Broarrrr she roared like she's supposed to. I had never felt so embarrassed/pissed/depressed all at the same time. Somewhere along that hill, I killed the motor, not realizing it.

"There she goes!" he yelled.

I hadn't the heart to tell him what I'd just discovered. I should have had my motorcycle operator's permit taken away right then and there.

I turned and thanked him again as he jumped into his minivan and drove off. I lumbered onto the bike, sat down, hit 1st and took off, laughing at myself.

Whoever that guy who gave me a lift for gas was, he was good people.

Whoever this Murphy guy is, his laws suck.
                            “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used”

- Hunter S. Thompson

1989 Hawk GT - As a whole, it is gone, but it now lives vicariously as a small part of several other Hawks on this website.
                            1997 VFR 750 - D&D exhaust

Comment

110 on average then I got to switch to reserve
                              You know your a hawkaddict when you check ebay and craigslist every hour for parts to upgrade

Comment

Working...
                              X