Helmet speakers vs. earbuds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmet speakers vs. earbuds

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with helmet speakers as opposed to earbuds. I would love to listen to music while I ride but my ears don't enjoy earbuds very much. If anyone has had luck with any speakers or any other method of listening without earbuds please let me know how and where you picked it up. Thanks guys.
    1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650
    - Two Brothers slip-on
    - Race Tech High Performance Fork Springs
    - Jetted

buy a gold wing :P
    Avatar courtesy of http://www.elizabethraab.com/
    1988 Honda Hawk NT650 GT

Comment

Originally Posted by MasterBates
      1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

Ive often wondered about the use of earphones while riding.
        Personally I am against it for 2 reasons.
        Firstly if you want to heat music over all the wind and mechanical noise you will probably be REALLY blasting it out which will be massively overloading your ears and perhaps help with premature hearing loss.
        Secondly I think sound is one of the best ways as a biker to keep aware of all the idiot cagers around you. Best example is when you happen to hear a skid at a junction and you can identify whether you are about to be rear ended or even side swiped..

JMO,
        Marc

Comment

I listen to music while riding almost all of the time.While it's about 2 bars of volume louder than normal,it isn't blasting.FWIW,I wear ear-buds in Arais and use a Quietrider any time other than July/August.As far as safety - it could be an issue but chances are,if I'm hearing skidding then the next sounds I hear are going to be KERSMASH and PLooonk when I land.I don't have enough faith in my being able to hear a noise,figure out what and where and react...if that noise is someone who is obviously too close to being with.Besides,I reckon it's better for me to be alert and more interested in the ride with music than being bored-I couldn't even fathom any distance at all on the slab without something to keep my mind occupied.It's a personal call though.

Comment

Originally Posted by jaysun0ne
            Originally Posted by MasterBates
            88 Honda Hawk
            2008 FJR1300

Comment

I actually use a Sansa 2GB mp3 player with Sony ear bud headphones. I can't recall the model #, but they have a soft rubber "extension" that fits into the ear canal a little. They fit snug but comfortably inside my HJC helmet. I only listen to them when I'm riding a long distance or something to that effect. If I am planning on riding hard or on some curvy roads, I don't use them so I can concentrate more. In fact I've only worn them twice now that I think about it. Bu tI agree with Brewsy; I turn them off when I come to a busy intersection, or if I'm in town with traffic, etc... They are not loud enough that they block out engine noise or other traffic noise.
              “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used”

- Hunter S. Thompson

1989 Hawk GT - As a whole, it is gone, but it now lives vicariously as a small part of several other Hawks on this website.
              1997 VFR 750 - D&D exhaust

Comment

thanks for the help guys
                1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650
                - Two Brothers slip-on
                - Jetted

Comment

Filtering out the Noise

I wear EAR custom-molded ear plugs with ear buds built in. Since I always wear ear plugs for any ride beyond going to the corner store, especially when highway speed are going to be the norm, combining the two is a no-brainer.

With the custom molded plugs, my NRR is about 25-28 or so (they say in the 30dB range, but it depends on how snug they may be at the time) and it mitigates the 90dB wind noise. Without the extra external stimuli, I keep the volume of the music lower, have higher fidelity, and can still hear most outside sounds. A car skidding, a horn blaring, or another bike will still be heard, since my hearing is not overloaded and thus more sensitive.

-P.
                  I need a bigger garage.

It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it.

Comment

I just bought these and they are awesome! They are just like an earplug, in fact they are probably made from the same stuff, and they have speakers in them. You squish em and put em in your ear just like ear plugs. You don't even need to turn the music up very loud at all.

http://www.radioshack.com/category/i...882&cp=2032054
                    -NEVER LET YOUR FEARS STAND IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS-
                    Most of the pics I have of my Hawk/Mods: http://gallery.me.com/stevenhowell

"Arseing about with my bikes will end in tears." -Keno04

"Dress for the slide, not the ride" - ParcNHawk

Comment

Thanks stevenjhow! I've been eyeing the shures, but at $100 a pair they seem a bit pricy. A combo earplug/speaker is perfect.

goshawk- how much are the custom molded ones? who makes em?

sfd620- man, that avatar creeps me out! check the swerve of the car on the left- bad things probably happened moments after that...
                      '88 Hawk GT
                      '89 Harley FXSTC
                      2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

thanks again guys...got the noise isolating buds on order
                        1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650
                        - Two Brothers slip-on
                        - Jetted

Comment

that avatar looks like the scene from matrix
                          -NEVER LET YOUR FEARS STAND IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS-
                          Most of the pics I have of my Hawk/Mods: http://gallery.me.com/stevenhowell

"Arseing about with my bikes will end in tears." -Keno04

"Dress for the slide, not the ride" - ParcNHawk

Comment

Originally Posted by motorcycleman
                            Thanks stevenjhow! I've been eyeing the shures, but at $100 a pair they seem a bit pricy. A combo earplug/speaker is perfect.

goshawk- how much are the custom molded ones? who makes em?

sfd620- man, that avatar creeps me out! check the swerve of the car on the left- bad things probably happened moments after that...
                            $100 is actually very cheap for good in-ear speakers. If you go the cheap route you'll wind up with buds that don't seal against the outside noise and require that you blast the tunes. I used to mix monitors for a country singer and wound up with a couple of different sets of custom molds. IMO the best sounding are Ultimate Ears $700, the most comfy are the Sensaphonics $500. My favorite non customs are the Futuresonics $99 jobbies but I don't think they'll work in a helmet. Whichever type you get be sure to experiment with the various types of sealing doo-dads (yellow foam thingy's, triple flange sleeve thingy's etc...).

One of my ears is considerably larger than the other. The only (non custom) thing that works for me everytime is the tree thingy.

Comment

I use these tree-type non-headphone ear plugs. They are very comfortable, wax/water proof and block out all wind noise.
                              '88 Bros NT650J
                              Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
                              Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
                              Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

Working...
                              X