Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody install F2 clipons on their Hawk GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody install F2 clipons on their Hawk GT?

I just got a pair of F2 clip ons from a fellow forum member but I have no idea what I'm up against in terms of the install. Any tips on how to get these on?

Do you guys that have them installed like these clipons? They're obviously MUCH lower than the stock ones.

Thanks.

I have f2 clipons on mine, it doesn't run though so can't speak too much for how they are to ride with . If the "nubs" have not been ground off yet, you will have to file them off. Can file just the part that goes below the clamp probably, although I hacked / filed the whole thing off of mine. Otherwise a pretty straightforward install. See the manual for details on how to get the hand controls off etc. The stock cables will be a bit long with the lower clipons but work, just make sure they dont bind on anything as you turn the bars. Here are some pics of the nubs I am talking about

before

after

good luck.

Comment

if you got them form a hawker the nubs might already be gone.

also the left grip might be a problem
      if its glued on you will have to get a new set because the only way to get it off is to cut it off. and if its glued on that means the right one is glued as well.

if its not glued then get something in there so you can shoot some water inbetween the grip and the bar, then it should come off with a little bit of effort and be reused. but if they are old maybe its time to just spend another $12

i have a long reach so i put the f2 bars under the top triple clamp and i liked the agressive riding position.
      1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

Originally Posted by jaysun0ne
        if you got them form a hawker the nubs might already be gone.

also the left grip might be a problem
        if its glued on you will have to get a new set because the only way to get it off is to cut it off. and if its glued on that means the right one is glued as well.

if its not glued then get something in there so you can shoot some water inbetween the grip and the bar, then it should come off with a little bit of effort and be reused. but if they are old maybe its time to just spend another $12

i have a long reach so i put the f2 bars under the top triple clamp and i liked the agressive riding position.
        Thanks for the info.
        I'll definitely be putting them above the triple since I'm only 5'8".
        No long reach for me.

Comment

I've got F2 clip ons (or near enough the same as) courtesy of the generosity of Al

I run mine under the top yoke and had to re-route most of the control cables to avoid binding cables. I too took off the entirety of the nubs as initially I ran them on top of the yoke.

There's not too much to installing them, the manual covers removing bars. The trickiest bit is getting the holes drilled in the right spots and getting the throttle cables back together. Give us a shout if you need help.

E

Comment

So you guys are recommending I grind of the "nub" that appears in the first pic in this thread?

Comment

Assuming you are using a stock hawk top triple... yeah, you have to so the clipon will drop all the way down and clamp on the correct part of the fork. I think you can just grind the part that sticks down below the clamp of the clipon. Pretty easy with a hacksaw or something more sophisticated if you got it. The benefit to only doing the bottom is you will not see the bare aluminum. It may slightly interfere with the bolt to the gauge cluster though, not sure. I filed the whole thing off as you see in the second and rattled can them so they are all black again. Let me know if this is not making sense, I can probably draw what I mean on the pic...

Comment

oops I didn't see the before and after above the pics.
                I'll likely have a local shop to this for me as they are already going to be doing some work on the Hawk anyway. I'll share the info you guys are giving me with them so they can do the job well.

Comment

It seems like the clip ons I got aren't quite the same as the ones pictures above. What do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                  X