First ride with the Hawk on the expressway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ride with the Hawk on the expressway

Man, I guess I am use to bigger bikes in the past...I've owned an R6, F3, F1, 996 Superhawk and all of those seemed much more at home on the freeway...Today I was running late for work so I jumped on the freeway to shave off some time...It wasn't bad, but I felt as though I was ringing it out a bit, probably b/c it just isn't built for top end speed, but I was wobbling around when semi's came by...I think I am going to stick to off-freeway riding unless it is necessary...I mean don't get me wrong, I could have ringed the throttle and moved on, but at 60+ mph and cars/semis whizzin by me it wasn't the most comfortable ride I'd like to hear your alls opinions on the Hawk on a freeway...
    Damn right it's a Hawk GT

im not allowed to ride on the freeway till i actually get my license, instead of a permit.
    Avatar courtesy of http://www.elizabethraab.com/
    1988 Honda Hawk NT650 GT

Comment

if you experiment with different gearing you should be able to do 70-80 mph @ 5000-6000 rpm and still have some balls off the line.
      1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

Re: First ride with the Hawk on the expressway

Originally Posted by cfiiman
        ...I've owned an R6, F3, F1, 996 Superhawk and all of those seemed much more at home on the freeway...
        And that's how you feel NAKED on a naked bike. No fairing and no windshield, and it's a battle against the wind.

On roadtrips, I've had my body blown up and down, left and right so many times, my wife (2up) once thought I had fallen asleep

This lack of aerodynamics really eats the HP, too. Sometimes the freeway driving make me miss my RZ350.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

I can't think of anything worse than a Hawk on a freeway/motorway. The wind is horrendous at 80mph and a 6th gear is sorely missed. I try to avoid them or stick to 70mph with short 2 mile 90/100mph bursts if I am on a long ride on them.
          '88 Bros NT650J
          Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
          Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
          Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

what about those tiny buell fairings? they help any at all?
            Avatar courtesy of http://www.elizabethraab.com/
            1988 Honda Hawk NT650 GT

Comment

Originally Posted by MasterBates
              Not sure, maybe my screen makes it worse I need to try a ride without it if I ever get my bike back. It's been 3 weeks without it but should be picking it up one evening this week, probably tomorrow
              '88 Bros NT650J
              Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
              Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
              Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

When I bought my Hawk, it came with a 'Targa' front fairing w/windsheild. (BTW It looks like complete garbage) I had to take it off, to fit it into my van, so I never drove with it on, (except for the test drive,) It probably will make a big difference at speed... like I'll ever put that thing on again.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

I commute 50 miles on my hawk everyday on the freeway.

I took off the windscreen, and for somereason its better. 75 isn't too bad, but go 85 and the windblast is annoying. Go 85 into a headwind and it feels like Death has his grips on me and is trying to shake me off. Its a whole lotta fun though. One thing that really helped me was when I installed vtr clipons. Having the stock heli bars made me a parachute in the wind and unloads my front wheel

Comment

with clipons, its not bad.... although i CONSTANTLY find myself looking for that missing 2nd gear.

Comment

what the "passing gear"
                      A Link to the pics I have taken for the 2007 Scavenger hunt.

http://bikepics.com/members/deadlego/p2/

Comment

Hey, don't dis the passing gear! I am working on a lawnmower mod for my hawk that mates a desmo gear drive from a 49 ducati to the passing gear to drive the mower deck. It looks like I only have to grind three or four teeth off to achieve an exact fit. I should be done sometime around April 1.
                        '88 Hawk GT
                        '89 Harley FXSTC
                        2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

Originally Posted by Swipe
                          Originally Posted by MasterBates
                          Not sure, maybe my screen makes it worse I need to try a ride without it if I ever get my bike back. It's been 3 weeks without it but should be picking it up one evening this week, probably tomorrow
                          What are you having done to it?

Just got mine back on the road tonight, stripped and rebuilt back end, cush drive, bearings c & s etc, etc

Suspension overhaul next

Fog
                          Mods so far
                          VFR 5 spoke rear wheel, Mk2 Bros front wheel, Penske 8983 rear shock, Racetech fork internals, Stainless brake lines front and rear, Stealth wavy discs front and rear, Carbon fibre rear hugger, M4 Headers, Foggy special midpipe , Micron silencer, Unipods, Factory 3.0 kit, Lightened flywheel, adjustable ignition

Mods to come
                          6 pot Nissin caliper, Corbin Gunfighter seat, 700cc pistons and barrels, 153x1 cams, stage 1 heads

Comment

On my last trip I did about 650 km across Greece in a day . In the motorway I managed to do 150 kph for about an hour . I have a tall windshield and it protects the body well . The head ok , i can't have it all ....
                            (ex)spambot exterminator .
                            BROS 400 owners : http://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/sho...+400+countdown

Comment

I know how you feel... I started out with a full fairing hawk (Sharkskinz) never knew what "real" wind blowback was to begin with... then I moved to full fairing inline 4's, R6, GSXR750, F3, F4i, you name it. Then I came back to the Hawk (current bike), and I really noticed the wind factor on the freeway. At times it does feel like I'm wringing the hell out of it going 70-80 mph on the freeway. The wind blowing me side to side, as the semi's pass me by... but at the end of that ride I really notice one thing. That is riding the hawk really makes you feel like your riding a motorcycle. It's rough, raw, and riveting all at once. It's also the reason why I don't really care much for full fairing MC's anymore... that is until I get more $$$ to own 2 bikes at once
                              You know your a hawkaddict when you check ebay and craigslist every hour for parts to upgrade

Comment

Working...
                              X