$500 HAWK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$500 HAWK

I saw a post here about a guy in New York who had a Hawk in "parts".Called the number and what do you know now I have the bike in my garage awaiting my care and attention! The bike is complete but somewhat "rough" as it needs some cleaning and paint! I am looking forward to the start of a wonderful relationship with this bike and am getting ready to make this my wifes first streetbike.I will post pictures through the restoration process. I am sure I will have questions that need answers and would appreciate any help I can get.

Sweet!

How much of a basket case is it?
    Jeremy
    '88 grey

Honda Hawk GT NT650...photo blog
    "...you gonna bark all day little doggie. . .or are you gonna bite?"

Comment

When I got it the tank was covered with melted plastic drippings and so were the wheels! Drove 20 hours round trip to get it and was a bit shocked.I mean for $500 you can't expect alot but it kinda set me back.I got the bike home and a neighbor sees it in the back of my truck and says "you paid $500 for THAT".....I was kind of pissed over that comment! I then got up the next morning and spent 9 or so hours cleaning 16 or so years of dirt off the bike and removing burnt plastic from the bike which had been on it since '90. I got ALL the burned stuff off the bike and came out with a clean little bike which I am proud to say I paid $500 for!!! As far as basket cases go it needs a new wiring harness and probably an ECU as the rear throttle side of the bike took the most fire damage.It has a replacement tail section and new seat.I will be replacing the brake lines and throttle/clutch cables and speedo cable.It will definitely be a winter project but I hope to have it running within the week.I really just want to replace the harness as to not have to drive myself crazy chasing shorts and stuff from the fire.Apparently the bike was in a garage in 1990 when the place caught fire and the bike had debris from the ceiling fall onto the tank and tail section.The wheels also had plastic smeared on them.I really wanted this bike as I have a special place in my heart for the Hawk.So to answer the question,on a "basket case" scale of 1 to 10 it would be a 5 or 6....10 being a lost cause!

Comment

Working...
      X