No announcement yet.

WEAR YOUR GEAR!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah but movies like Torque and (what wa that other one with Kid rock and Lawrence Fishburne?...) Have riders with the right gear!!!
    BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ CRF 110 Mini Motard, DUCATI: 748
    Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

I am in the same boat as paullyboy, I hit the ground in shorts and a t-shirt on a pocket bike......a pocket bike guys, I am lucky that I learned my lesson while only going 30 mph! I ride in Eastern Washington in the summers, it gets 95 - 105 degrees often. I ride with black leathers, completely zipped up (because if you hit the ground with an unzipped jacket, it'll just wrap up on you and let your skin take the wrath.

I agree with Doc exactly, he has alot of wisdom on this matter.
      Everything that Doc has said is exactly what people who think that it won't happen to them need to hear. Believe me, it happens to everybody, maybe not today, maybe not tommorow, but someday it will happen, some worse than others. I have watched (with my own eyes) three people close to me hit the ground while riding, it was the gear that saved their hides....literally! going back to being unzipped....one guy had his wrists unzipped because it was "hot", when he went down, the sleeves wrapped up past his elbows, now the bone in his elbow is flat from the pavement.

Your gear may not be the most comfortable, it might look uncool, but just like seatbelts in a car, you won't appreciate it until it saves you life! Just wear it!
      -NEVER LET YOUR FEARS STAND IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS-
      Most of the pics I have of my Hawk/Mods: http://gallery.me.com/stevenhowell

"Arseing about with my bikes will end in tears." -Keno04

"Dress for the slide, not the ride" - ParcNHawk

Comment

Originally Posted by Stevenjhow
        it might look uncool, but just like seatbelts in a car, you won't appreciate it until it saves you life! Just wear it!
        I think gear is comfortable and cool. I always think its awesome when I see a guy riding with full racing leathers on. It looks like he's serious. I like wearing my all black leathers with my black gloves and black boots and black helmet. Makes me look like I'm going on a mission somewhere, which I am, only it involves cameras instead of guns.
        '88 Hawk GT - back in the saddle
        '99 Suzuki GZ250 - the first

'87 Suzuki GSXR1100/1207cc - traded to get my Hawk back

Comment

Originally Posted by isaac
          Getting your skin ripped off your body cuts into seat time.
          Just re-visiting this thread... Isaac made such a good point here.
          1988 "BlackHawk" project
          1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
          1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
          People who know ride Hawks. Riot

Comment

Originally Posted by isaac
            Originally Posted by Doc
            Staying in the topic and keeping it in this thread...

Am I the only one that gets PISSED when he see someone riding in shorts and flip flops on TV!!
            Or with a stupid helmet?!!

It just makes me think that it is promoting the sport negatively..

That's my opinion, What's yours?
            Well yeah. If you're on a bike which five seconds after you hit the gas in first gear is going fast enough to grind your face off down to the bone, you don't look very cool riding without a helmet. I see it every day. I saw a guy today on a CBR1000 with just sunglasses on. Being a biker myself, I thought he looked dumb as shit.

But why do you see so many people on the "look at me" bikes doing crap like that? You don't see it nearly as frequently on more serious bikes, like tourers or old school jap stuff. That's because the people who ride it don't do it for an image enhancement. They ride to ride. Getting your skin ripped off your body cuts into seat time.

If you didn't see people riding around sans helmet on TV and in movies, you'd see a lot less of it happening on the streets. No "cool" precedent, no uncool copycats.

Remember those ridiculous Triumph scenes in Mission: Impossible 2?

All of them were done sans helmet. Tom Cruise's character even did a stoppie turn with one hand on the handlebars and the other firing a gun. Makes a regular ride with full gear on seem like the lamest thing ever, doesn't it?
            the movies is about the only place i can understand the no gear thing.. i mean, it would be wise, but kinda lame to see the dude magicly find a helmet and atleast a good jacket..
            espically when he jumps on the bike while running from people shooting at him. lol.

as for the stunt guy doing that... hey, as stupid and potentially lethal as it is, id also do it for $100,000 or some other large money amount. you have to have some of that "it wont happen to me" or "i am in control" mindset for a job like that anyway... if you dont, then you cant be a good stunt guy.

Comment

That is not a stunt guy!! That was Tom Cruise doing all those stunts!

Comment

My Job is as a Health and Safety Engineer and biker gear is the same as PPE at work.
                I actually feel undressed, unready, vunerable even more prone If I were to get on my bike without the gear.
                But hey its a free world, we can all make our choice. Not everybody will agree with that choice but you way up the risks, the probability, the likelihod and make a decision.
                No matter how defensivly you drive there will always be some twat on 4 or 2 wheels that is'nt focused.
                Always think of the consequences
                ARCIE31
                If your not livin' on the edge your taking up too much room

Comment

I was looking out of the window on my front door the other day that looks out onto the road and actually saw a teenage kid on a scooter ridng bareback / barechested (sans T-shirt) with just a helmet, shorts and sandals. I had to double take as I couldn't quite believe what I'd just seen.
                  '88 Bros NT650J
                  Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
                  Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
                  Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

well I always wear my gear. I have a full face (black in color) then I have leather motorcycle gloves, motorcycle leather jacket. then I have icon vest its a back protector thing. hard plastic plates that cover the center of the back. also another motorcycle textile thing. most of the time I have the leather. only 1 time with the textile thing. (it fells thin to me) not as protective as the leather I think.

I know it herts when you go down. been rideing the dirt a very long time.

yes black leather is very hot in the 90 degree temps. I dont think about being hot when im rideing. I do it because I want no I love to ride. I can agree with Isaac about the old jap bike.well mines not old but it is old school but I could care less of what people think of me. just look at the pics of my bike. shes been down and you can see it but I dont care what you think of the bike or how I look I just love to ride thats alll
                    A Link to the pics I have taken for the 2007 Scavenger hunt.

http://bikepics.com/members/deadlego/p2/

Comment

But What do you wear for shoes?

Comment

and dont forget pants.

nothing like grinding down your kneecaps while sliding....

Comment

I have to say that I've got no problem riding in non-protective jacket and jeans as long as the riding isn't 'spirited'. Yeah, I know you can crash just riding down the road to the shops but WTF if I took every precaution possible life would be pretty dull. Appropriate riding for the conditions is what I mean.

That said I don't practice what I preach and feel prety underdressed if out riding and not fully kitted up.
                          '95 ShaftHawk 650P>
                          Front: Bros Mk2 front wheel; Mk1 forks; MetalGear disc; NC30 caliper; cb1 yoke.
                          Breathing: Hacked up and shortened ART tri-can on collector and link pipe from DemonTweeks.
                          Other: RGV bars; DefT dash; modded subframe; modded rearsets; relocated ignition.

'91 Bros 650 Mk1>
                          Currently off the road.

Comment

i think of helmet/jacket/gloves/and decentshoes as minimal coverage.

if im going out to be stupid, the pants come too.. but otherwise its jeans.
                            i really want a good back protector, but i just havent bought a new one yet. my jacket has "CE rated" protection.. but its not a real back protector.

i never do without the helmet/jacket/gloves... and with the exception of my work shoes and my stylin navy blue Reebok Classics, i just buy shoes that cover my ankle.

Comment

o yea forgot the shoes. I have hi tec boots they are mostly leather. and pants I wear plain jeans like you get at wallmart no rideing pants.....
                              A Link to the pics I have taken for the 2007 Scavenger hunt.

http://bikepics.com/members/deadlego/p2/

Comment

Am I the only one riding around in my studded leather thong? (just kidding really, i have a mesh jacket, gloves and boots. no pants yet)
                                -God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me.

Comment

Working...
                                X