Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stevenjhow
    replied
    I am in the same boat as paullyboy, I hit the ground in shorts and a t-shirt on a pocket bike......a pocket bike guys, I am lucky that I learned my lesson while only going 30 mph! I ride in Eastern Washington in the summers, it gets 95 - 105 degrees often. I ride with black leathers, completely zipped up (because if you hit the ground with an unzipped jacket, it'll just wrap up on you and let your skin take the wrath.

I agree with Doc exactly, he has alot of wisdom on this matter.
    Everything that Doc has said is exactly what people who think that it won't happen to them need to hear. Believe me, it happens to everybody, maybe not today, maybe not tommorow, but someday it will happen, some worse than others. I have watched (with my own eyes) three people close to me hit the ground while riding, it was the gear that saved their hides....literally! going back to being unzipped....one guy had his wrists unzipped because it was "hot", when he went down, the sleeves wrapped up past his elbows, now the bone in his elbow is flat from the pavement.

Your gear may not be the most comfortable, it might look uncool, but just like seatbelts in a car, you won't appreciate it until it saves you life! Just wear it!

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Yeah but movies like Torque and (what wa that other one with Kid rock and Lawrence Fishburne?...) Have riders with the right gear!!!

Leave a comment:

• isaac
    replied
    Originally Posted by Doc
    Staying in the topic and keeping it in this thread...

Am I the only one that gets PISSED when he see someone riding in shorts and flip flops on TV!!
    Or with a stupid helmet?!!

It just makes me think that it is promoting the sport negatively..

That's my opinion, What's yours?
    Well yeah. If you're on a bike which five seconds after you hit the gas in first gear is going fast enough to grind your face off down to the bone, you don't look very cool riding without a helmet. I see it every day. I saw a guy today on a CBR1000 with just sunglasses on. Being a biker myself, I thought he looked dumb as shit.

But why do you see so many people on the "look at me" bikes doing crap like that? You don't see it nearly as frequently on more serious bikes, like tourers or old school jap stuff. That's because the people who ride it don't do it for an image enhancement. They ride to ride. Getting your skin ripped off your body cuts into seat time.

If you didn't see people riding around sans helmet on TV and in movies, you'd see a lot less of it happening on the streets. No "cool" precedent, no uncool copycats.

Remember those ridiculous Triumph scenes in Mission: Impossible 2?

All of them were done sans helmet. Tom Cruise's character even did a stoppie turn with one hand on the handlebars and the other firing a gun. Makes a regular ride with full gear on seem like the lamest thing ever, doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Staying in the topic and keeping it in this thread...

Am I the only one that gets PISSED when he see someone riding in shorts and flip flops on TV!!
    Or with a stupid helmet?!!

It just makes me think that it is promoting the sport negatively..

That's my opinion, What's yours?

Leave a comment:

• PaullyBoy
    replied
    As a newbee from this past april I had a canvas jacket, gloves, and boots even before I signed my name on the title. I ride in as much gear as possible. I crashed on a pocket bike (a 125cc) in jeans and a t-shirt and that hurt like hell, my jeans are now shorts cause both knees drug the ground. I don't even wanna think what it must feel like to hit and slide on the ground from my hawk. Now I'm in the hunt for a leather summer jacket with a liner. I'll deal with the 105 degree days in St.louis, but not road rash. Just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Oh yeah...

I hear the comment about if you get hit by a car or some other impact then your gear won't save you.

True, Gear will do little to save you from an Impact, even a well fitting helmet will still have a bunch of collisions going on inside (helmet hits object, head hits inside of helmet brain hits inside of head, then reverse that for the recoil...) We take must THAT risk when we ride. If you can negate other risks by wearing the proper gear why don't you?

Not wearing gear is a form of natural selection for motorcycle riders.
    (I have heard this as "Not wearing a helmet" but decided to change it)

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Originally Posted by douglas.thompson
    I challenge you to put on that t-shirt and shorts, strap on your helmet and sprint across a parking lot. Then take a dive across the pavement. You know, slide into home base. You won't be going more than TEN mph running, but I guarantee it'll put you in the hospital. It's not that you've been "safe enough," it's that you've been lucky.
    Good "test" there Doug. i have used that same anology with some of the riders I know who used to not wear their gear.

Leave a comment:

• Doc
    replied
    Uh Oh! A gear thread. I have heard so many arguments over this it literally is not funny.

For me this is a no brainer. I ALWAYS at a minimum wear a full face helmet, motorcycle specific gloves, Jeans (not slacks) and boots (my Army combat boots). I ride with this wherever I am, Be that Vermont at 90 or Arizona at 130. I would NEVER ride in shorts! Bugs flying up there, exhaust burns to point out a few of the less obvious reasons.
    Yes, I have ridden in a T-shirt when it is hot or on a short jaunt and I am not proud of it. I am getting one of those mesh jackets for summer (I think they DO offer protection). On the Track it is full leathers, I have been wearing my race boots more on the street as well. My BIGGEST mistake has been buying BLACK leather! HOT!

Thankfully everytime I have been down I was wearing a Motorcycle jacket too. It saved ALOT of skin, I still have a big scar on my knee from where I went 280 feet down the road but that is for a worst crash post.

Now that you know my take I will also say this (It has come out in other Gear threads). This is a free country and you have a CHOICE. Wear gear or don't. I also have a CHOICE, I won't ride with people who don't wear the proper gear. I try not to judge and I try to educate and mentor as best I can. I just don't want the added liability and I don't want others to think I condone that behavior.

I am the President of the Vermont Green Knights chapter (Military Motorcyclists). We try to mentor riders to wear the proper gear, The most difficult ones are the old guys and the "cruiser" riders (Beanie Helmets).

I am glad there are a bunch of "Gear Nazi's" here.

Oh and as for a Squid? I have heard them defined as riders who go on short "spurts" on rides. Like a squid. Gas it, wheelie or some such and slow down, Gas it again and slow down....
    Really has nothing to do with gear, More the way you ride.

Someone who rides without gear is an "Un rider" Or what was that term they used in that ad in the mags back in the day? Pic of a guy and his chick in gear calling them "Riders", Next page in shorts calling them "Unriders".??
    My .02

Leave a comment:

• hawkLer
    replied
    You obviously don't live in Florida. No offense, but someone riding in Canada and someone in NY have different capacities as far as wearing gear in the 'real' world.
    Have you ever been to NY in the summer? It felt like all year temps were around 95 with at least 95% humidity. Oh, and today, December 1st... thank god for winter? ...Yeah, right! It was 70+ degrees and humid as a rainforest.

Yeah, I've been guilty of wearing a t shirt and also guilty of crashing in it. Pretty nasty gashes with scars to show for as well. They hurt then, but now what hurts more is when a fellow rider sees me not wearing motoBoots because I can't afford them right now and/or just my jeans because I don't want to wear my racepants everywhere I go and I end up feeling like a squid. I never ever want to be thought of as a squid.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    (long canvas pants, jacket, gloves, helmet)
    What the heck are canvas pants? And no, canvas isn't motorcycle gear. It may be more abrasion resistant than denim, but only 2x or 3x... so it's 8 or 12 feet of sliding before your skin is making contact instead of 4. So, a 30 mph low side means only about a hundred feet of skin-on-pavement before you stop, assuming you don't tumble.

sometimes a t-shirt and sometimes shorts. My riding is all under 40 mph in town.
    You're fooling yourself into thinking it's safe at those speeds. It's not. I often ride fast, but all my crashes in the last 15 years have been from under 30 mph. In two of them my FULL GEAR prevented _any_ injuries, and in the third my nylon motorcycle pants burned through and I got a silver-dollar sized rash on my knee... from less than 15 mph actual crash speed. In all three I credit the leather/cordura, armor, boots, and gloves with preventing a LOT of pain and suffering. Those scuffs on my boots and jacket and popped seams on my gloves would have been broken foot bones and peeled off skin had I been wearing flip flops and shorts. Gear reduces or prevents injuries, period. Sure, you can still crash harder than the gear can absorb, and die, but I've seen lots of the opposite. What would have been an ambulance ride instead is a "walk away."

...mesh jacket... the level of protection from those is not enormously greater than a regular shirt or bare skin.
    Bullshit. That nylon mesh is 100x more abrasion resistant than cotton cloth, and the dense foam armor adds a tremendous amount of impact cushioning PLUS another layer of abrasion protection. I've seen mesh jackets that went through 60-75 mph crashes... they're destroyed, but the person has barely any injury. I know that my yellow Joe Rocket mesh jacket is actually cooler on a hot day than a t-shirt since it allows more airflow AND keeps the sun off my skin. Leather's much better and 1000d Cordura's much better but don't go spreading bad info.

And getting T-boned by a car is going to be *bad* no matter what gear you're wearing. The helmet is by far the most important, and then your skin.
    It's far more common for a rider to avoid the actual T-bone but still dump their bike. But, if you do get in a bad wreck the effect of all your injuries adds up. A person with a crushed chest and concussion might survive, but add in a few square feet of 3rd degree skin removal and it's too much and they die. People can and do die from "just" abrasion injuries, it's worse than being burned.

but I doubt very many people wear everything every time.
    It's your choice, of course. Just don't look around at all the squids and idiots (I've ridden in Florida!) and think "everyone else is riding almost naked, so it must be OK!" It's not. It is a good way to turn a minor incident into major injuries. Come on, you ride a Hawk, you've got to be smarter than them. Mesh jacket and pants with armor, good vented gloves, good vented boots, and a quality helmet are the minimum I'll ride in, and then only if it's too hot for non-mesh gear.

Leave a comment:

• isaac
    replied
    I'm always thankful when the cold side of the year comes (from October to April) so I will wear all of my gear without compromise.

I feel very guilty wearing minimal gear. I always wear a helmet and gloves, but in the summer sometimes I won't wear a jacket. I really need to get a summer weight one, especially after that story.

That was just horrific to read.

Leave a comment:

• ekubota
    replied
    I've been down once - at the track. Obviously wearing full gear. No injuries, really.

Like I said, I knew I would get a lot of flak for this - and I am a very safe rider. You obviously don't live in Florida. No offense, but someone riding in Canada and someone in NY have different capacities as far as wearing gear in the 'real' world.

When I go out to joyride (very, very rarely) wearing pants and a jacket and gloves is no problem. However, this isn't feasible when you're going to class or to the store.

I do have a mesh jacket (Joe Rocket, I got it for free) - I wore it for a few weeks during the summer, and honestly, the level of protection from those is not enormously greater than a regular shirt or bare skin.

And getting T-boned by a car is going to be *bad* no matter what gear you're wearing. The helmet is by far the most important, and then your skin.

As I said, I used to wear everything, all the time. That's clearly the best option - no one is saying otherwise - but I doubt very many people wear everything every time. Everyone has to determine a safety level that they feel is reasonable and appropriate, and most importantly, sustainable. Telling everyone to wear gear all the time is not going to help you if you make "just one" exception because it's 105 outside. (not saying you do this)

Leave a comment:

• dagus
    replied
    Ekubota, think that over. I challenge you to put on that t-shirt and shorts, strap on your helmet and sprint across a parking lot. Then take a dive across the pavement. You know, slide into home base. You won't be going more than TEN mph running, but I guarantee it'll put you in the hospital. It's not that you've been "safe enough," it's that you've been lucky.

There's lots of hot-weather gear out there! I wear Fieldsheer's Titanium Air jacket and pants, and it's like wearing nothing. Look around some for something comfortable. Bohn Armor, Draggin' Jeans, there's all kinds of options if you don't want to get geared up like Rossi. But, sh!t, man! Wear your jacket, pants, gloves and boots along with your helmet. Your head is no good unless you've protected the body that carries it around!

Leave a comment:

• balou34
    replied
    I started riding back last spring after aquiring my hawk. I gear up with full leather(boots,gloves, everything basically) and rode for most of the summer like that. Yes it is warm but beleive me, in the area I ride you need all the protection you can get. People just don't pay any attention to motorcylist, I came very close of being hit by a F-150 side ways. That was it for me.

Stories like that is what it takes sometime to make you realise how important it is to gear up properly.

p.s. Ride Safe

Leave a comment:

• ekubota
    replied
    Pretty harrowing story. I used to be very absolute about wearing gear (long canvas pants, jacket, gloves, helmet) all the time, but the reality is that in Florida it's virtually impossible to wear everything every time. I always wear a helmet, obviously, but sometimes a t-shirt and sometimes shorts. My riding is all under 40 mph in town.

Clearly it's safer to wear full leathers all the time but if you are riding *to* somewhere and not just out for fun you can't always do that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X