Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's bike is this and what is that tail from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's bike is this and what is that tail from?

BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ CRF 110 Mini Motard, DUCATI: 748
    Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

He post as joel look at the bottom of this page for details about the bike
    http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=694&start=15

Comment

yep,I not only post as joel,I am joel -well,at least that's what I've been told for the past 30 years.

Race tail meets die grinder with an MZ Skorpion seat.I'm too cheap to buy anything new and too lazy to do things right.

Comment

Race tail from what?

EDIT: RSV250 got it.

I am thinking of hacking my RC51 tail but not noe that I got this RC30 tail.

Comment

RC30 tails aren't die grinder resistant- chop away

Comment

Originally Posted by joel
            Race tail meets die grinder with an MZ Skorpion seat.I'm too cheap to buy anything new and too lazy to do things right.
            Sweeeet. That sounds like what I'd do, particularly the last part. I can't wait to make this bike my own. Until then, my one wheel antics personalize me on the street.
            '88 Hawk GT - back in the saddle
            '99 Suzuki GZ250 - the first

'87 Suzuki GSXR1100/1207cc - traded to get my Hawk back

Comment

Just be careful Issac... Wheelie too much and you'll be replacing fork seals and head bearings and radiators OH MY!

Comment

Nah - Hawk forks will take a bunch of abuse... a whole hell of a lot more than the Ohlins on the Priller

Comment

yep,I not only post as joel,I am joel -well,at least that's what I've been told for the past 30 years.

Joel, The Hawk Rally that you took delivery of the Mille R you let me ride a GP shift Hawk that I think was this one. Was it? Or maybe it wan't your Hawk at all?? Seems like it had a lot of flat black on it best I remember. You still got the Priller?

Steve Hunt
                  "Momentum is your friend" www.moto234.com

Comment

JEEEESus! that might be the most beautiful thing i've ever seen.
                    ride Red.

Comment

Originally Posted by Steve Hunt

Joel, The Hawk Rally that you took delivery of the Mille R you let me ride a GP shift Hawk that I think was this one. Was it? Or maybe it wan't your Hawk at all?? Seems like it had a lot of flat black on it best I remember. You still got the Priller?

Steve Hunt
                      Brother Steve! Yep,that's the same Hawk - it had an F3 front end with a Marchesini rim and an Aprilia RS125 upper back then but was pretty much otherwise the same.Yep,still have the MilleR.Hopefully the rally thing will get back into full swing this year- as much as I want to ride Barber's,the extra couple hours from here turn it from a long trip to a loooooong trip and with the cost of the trackday along with the dumbness of doing a trackday on next to no sleep,we just couldn't make it.Would love to do a Turkeyday too but same considerations-sucks that the East Coast has to be so long.You know,Jon STILL has your safety wire job on his back brake from the 01 rally!

( story behind that: my bro crashed his NT on a rally ride.Brother Steve wired up the rear so he'd at least have some stopping - rode 60 miles in mega-twisties back with no front brake...it's about 1200 miles from home and we rode to that one)

Re: my Hawk- it photographs much better than it should.It's a horrible mess of a machine that I should be embarassed of,but it's a true joy to ride down in GA.

Comment

Joel, is that a Ducati rear wheel? If so, how was it to fit, did you use the stock hub/spindle, what alterations did you have to make, etc, etc? Thanks

Comment

The blacked out frame looks great.... nice bike!
                          '88 Hawk GT
                          '89 Harley FXSTC
                          2008 Yamaha V-Star 1300 tourer

http://www.hawkgtforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=948

"...my performance ain't perfect, but its loud, and its fast..." -Widespread Panic

Comment

That's the Marchesini magnesium rim made specifically for the Hawk - they're pretty rare these days,I sadly think you probably won't find one in the UK.Ducati rims _can_ be fitted to a Hawk- if you take a look in the pic's section I posted Ihab's NT with Ducati fitment PVM rim.It isn't an easy swap as the spindle must be modded and it's considerably more work than turning it down for a VFR rim.The brake caliper must also be shaved as well as the swingarm clearanced- both minor compared to modding the spindle.If there's an easy way to do it,I'd like to know but I'm unfortunately not a machinist myself and don't have unlimited funds to get parts to swap around.

I have NO idea why Honda decided to use different hubs on the NSR/VFR400/750-800/RC30-45/Hawk-Bros...from a production POV it makes no sense.Spindles can be exchanged and Ducati rims are interchangable with RC30-45 rims but RC spindles aren't any too common!

Comment

Originally Posted by Steve Hunt

Steve Hunt
                              Brother Steve! Yep,that's the same Hawk - it had an F3 front end with a Marchesini rim and an Aprilia RS125 upper back then but was pretty much otherwise the same.Yep,still have the MilleR.Hopefully the rally thing will get back into full swing this year- as much as I want to ride Barber's,the extra couple hours from here turn it from a long trip to a loooooong trip and with the cost of the trackday along with the dumbness of doing a trackday on next to no sleep,we just couldn't make it.Would love to do a Turkeyday too but same considerations-sucks that the East Coast has to be so long.You know,Jon STILL has your safety wire job on his back brake from the 01 rally!

( story behind that: my bro crashed his NT on a rally ride.Brother Steve wired up the rear so he'd at least have some stopping - rode 60 miles in mega-twisties back with no front brake...it's about 1200 miles from home and we rode to that one)

Re: my Hawk- it photographs much better than it should.It's a horrible mess of a machine that I should be embarassed of,but it's a true joy to ride down in GA.
                              That was the first time I ever used a GP shift. I thought it was cool but then I was just motoring over to the airport from TWO lodge. I think I would screw up eventually and put myself on the ground.

I remember that day, I recall as we made a left the sun was low and straight in our eyes. My view was Pace' ahead of me and Jon in front of him. Suddenly Pace's rear wheel lifts about 3-4" off the ground and I see Brother Jon kissing terra firma and sliding straight but the road turned right. By design he was in full gear and shook it off after a brief rest and a few minutes trying to get him some brakes to limp home with. Man, I forgot you guys rode down, he had to be sore at the least. N. GA rallys bring some hard core mo fo riders out....and Jeff Adams rode your Mille R from TX or some crazy shit to the Rally too. That may have been the rally that JD came down from Ohio too. I feel kinda guilty for only driving 9 hours from Fla. I hope we can get back to the hard core days.

TDTD will be back on in 07. Nov would certianly be a good time for you guys to vacate the Island for a few days and check out a Fla track day.

Steve
                              "Momentum is your friend" www.moto234.com

Comment

Working...
                              X