Anybody got a Pinto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody got a Pinto?

I know this is a Hawk forum, but me being a fan of vehicles with lots of personality like the Hawk I figured other Hawk owners are probably like minded and might own a car with a lot of personality, like a Pinto. It might freak me out if a lot of you guys said you were the proud owner of one!?! Something would definitely be off in the universe. Here is a link to a spoof MySpace I did for my little green machine.....and no, they don't explode on impact!

Some good vintage commercials are on the page.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=332929445
    My old Hawk film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptR6lwHfDpo

The Memphis Belle- The Final Chapter in Memphis
    Watch Now!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLmjGtYudYw

I had one (Actually it was a Bobcat) and my Dad had the Pinto Station wagon (that we literally blew up)
    BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
    Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Eh, tons of cars from that era had gas tanks that were set into, and became, the floor of the trunk, with no firewall/bulkhead separating the trunk from the passenger compartment. Heck, my '69 Falcon is like that! Of course, I did add some sheet metal behind the rear seat to slow a fire should one erupt in the trunk.
      Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
      I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

After getting this Pinto for free, I did some research to see if I got it for free because it was a death trap. After much investigating I came to find that the Pinto had no more tendency to explode than any other car. There were actually cars that were more explosive during this era. Ralph Nader rigged the test to make a Pinto explode and Ford stupidly sent a memo out stating it was cheaper to settle lawsuits from deaths versus doing a recall. This is what made the Pinto Inflameous! (had to do it)
        My old Hawk film:

Watch Now!

Comment

I drive a car with character... bmw e30.

Comment

Closest thing I had was what is called a Pinto-Pangra.
            "If it's got wheels, I can move it"

Comment

I remember the Pangra kit. My cousin (stupidly) traded his immaculate 383, 4 speed 'Cuda for a Pinto station wagon when he started college. To this day I can't let him forget it. His brother (my other idiot cousin) traded away his 390 AMX about the same time.

The Pangra kit on his wagon would have made the car almost bearable, but after the 'Cuda the Pinto was all disappointment in the acceleration department. On second thought, it was a disappointment in that department compared to ANYTHING!!
              1988 Blue Hawk GT, serial no. 1161, 153X cams, 40mm CV carbs, Unis, Supertrapp with competition end cap and 20 discs, Fox Shock, Corbin, F4i forks, CBR1100XX clip ons, ZX12 master cylinder, 954 calipers, wave rotors, Galfer lines, RS250 magnesium wheels, Holeshot Fly Screen, Acewell gauges, Durbhan hugger, Brembo mini GP rear caliper with thru swingarm line and RS250 rotor, mini- LED signals, carbon sidestand, Michelin Pilots, what else am I missing?

Comment

Originally Posted by Cardin View Post
                I drive a car with character... bmw e30.
                Excellent! Mine's an '89, currently getting an S50 transplant.
                A Honda amongst a sea of Harleys

Comment

I can honestly say I did my civic duty by crashing a 1974 Pinto and destroying it. Well .. I was actually just behind the wheel when a guy left-turned in front of me, but I'll take he credit anyway.

Comment

An E30 is a great car, but it is tough to say it has character while the Pinto does not. Without a doubt, the e30 is a better car, and I would rather have an e30 than a Pinto, but I would not say it has more character than a Pinto. The e30 is just a fine example in a great series. You have to think of the later 3-series cars (which were good as well), and the 320i cars (which were cool with the 2.3? inline 6), and the 2002 cars (which was ironically less than 510). So definitely all of those 3-series cars have character, but I think the series stands out more than any particular model within. The 3-series has always given the early 70s Datsuns something race against which is nice.

But the Ford Pinto is also an American Icon. It might not be a great car, but it is still an icon, and that comes with character. And to be honest the e30 represented the beginning of the end to the 3-series to some BMW enthusiasts for the weight gain over the earlier more nimble cars. I think most would agree it takes more character in 2008 to drive around in a Pinto than an e30.

And let's not forget Formula Pinto
                    http://georgecallender.tripod.com/pintopageone.html

Comment

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
                      Excellent! Mine's an '89, currently getting an S50 transplant.
                      nice

I have a 325es whose engine won't die. I'm vacillating between an M52 or an M30. Both should be relatively cheap and a lot of fun.

Comment

Being different is part of having character, so a Pinto immediately qualifies. Hell, I don't recall seeing one moving under it's own power in possibly the last decade. E30 owners have it easy with parts availability. I can't imagine trying to find Pinto parts in good shape.

As for the S50 engine, I ran across a deal that was so cheap, I couldn't afford not to buy it. It should be rather fun.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
                          Being different is part of having character, so a Pinto immediately qualifies. Hell, I don't recall seeing one moving under it's own power in possibly the last decade. E30 owners have it easy with parts availability. I can't imagine trying to find Pinto parts in good shape.

As for the S50 engine, I ran across a deal that was so cheap, I couldn't afford not to buy it. It should be rather fun.
                          I've heard S50 transplants taking a whole year to complete. So many custom parts have to be fabricated.

One of my buddies bought a wrecked M3 for something like $3k... only to find a pristine euro S52b32 engine. What sucks is that the engine is just sitting in his garage

Comment

It's actually pretty simple. The tranny mount and brake booster are the only real fabbed parts. The rest of it is just picking up the right parts from other cars, getting a harness adapter, and getting after it.
                            Lots of good info here:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=129

If your buddy needs to get rid of his doorstop, let me know. I won't charge him anything to haul it away.

Comment

Actually I have not had any problems getting parts. Auto Zone has everything I have needed so far. They made the 2.3L for a million years and it is a bullet proof little engine. Body panels is probably a different story. I can't tell you the last time I saw one on the road either, besides mine. I tell the hords of gawkers I always get it's the last Pinto in Memphis. I can't count the number of times I have had people taking picture of it on their cell phones. Whenever someone is hanging in my blind spot on the interstate, 9 times out of 10 I will look over and see someone pointing their cell phone camera out the car window. Pinto ownership reminds me a lot of Hawk ownership. They do have a Pinto forum with a devout, similar stereotype of people who are always on the site talking Pinto's. They have people who own multiple Pinto's, who race them, who mod them (the big mod is dropping a Turbo Coupe 2.3L turbo in one) The Pinto has the same type cult following a Hawk does. I am not gay for Pinto's by any means. I was given the car a year ago by a friend of mine after I saw it in her driveway and I went on about not seeing one for years. It had belong to her dad who bought it new and treated it like his baby. He died in 2000 and they let it just sit for 7 years. It took about a month of tinkering, flushing the fuel tank and new tires and it started right up. I drive it 35 miles round trip to work everyday. Biggest problem I have had is with the ac. One thing I have noticed is how many people used to own one. Everybody comes up with their Pinto memories. A little car that used to be everywhere, and is now no where. I used to make fun of these things, now I drive one. Funny how life works.
                              My old Hawk film:

Watch Now!

Comment

Working...
                              X