Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Triumph Didn't Really Work Nor Did the Guzzi V7--Now What?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Triumph Didn't Really Work Nor Did the Guzzi V7--Now What?

So I'm wanting something different in addition to the Hawk. I'd like something a little newer, smoother and a bit more comfortable if I wanted to do a day on the slab occasionally.

A friend offered to sell me is fairly new Triumph Street Twin (as I posted in another thread) but after trying one at a demo ride is was just OK. So today I had a chance to ride someone's Guzzi V7III. It looks like my kind of bike; a standard that has great classic looks, vibrates just enough, is light and handles well enough in stock form. At least that's what all the reviewers say. I had the pleasure of riding one 40 miles in the mountains today. It's pretty, but nothing else knocked me out. It sits higher off the ground than the Hawk, your posture is more upright, doesn't handle as well as I expected and I found I was hitting the red line all the time. It does have more HP than the Hawk, but for a "sporty standard" it just wasn't sporty enough I'm afraid.

So, anyone have a suggestion. How about a newer, large Monster? Could I make the FZ07 a bit more comfy for long hauls? Should I consider the new SV? But I've already had two. I need it to be no more than 450lbs wet, quick handling and able to get my short legs to the ground. Or just maybe these type of light twins have ruined me as far as ever being comfortable on a large standard of any kind?

One last interesting note. The guy who let me try his V7 has four or five bikes and has owned over thirty. We met and rode back toward where we both live so he rode my Hawk. When we stopped to switch bikes back he raved about the Hawk. Said it was the nicest one he had ever seen, (it's an '88 Gray) and made me promise to never sell it. And if I did, that I would call him first. When I told my wife she said, "so explain to me again why you need another motorcycle?" Hmmm, good question.

I found the Kawasaki Z650 to be a good bike for short riders. It has good power and I didn't find any meaningful vibrations.
    And it is light weight. Only dislike was the very small display for MPH and RPMs, etc

Ride safely

Comment

I like the 1959 Raleigh 50cc moped, but you may not..just suggesting that you try it.
      If mice were men and men were mice, once upon a time, Men were mice and mice were men, twice upon a time.

Comment

I think you need to consider something much more different to the Hawk or you will just compare and be disappointed in the other bike... I like my Triumph Street Triple 675's and still keep my Hawks. And I have had similar experience to you in that I was going to do a setup and suspension overhaul and upgrade as needed on a Ducati 900 SL - I was convinced (coerced?) to take a test ride before doing any measurements and we decided to take a ride together - me on the Ducati him on my Hawk... after a few turns I pulled over and said is was futile to continue, we need to do a major upgrade including a new lengthadjustable aftermarket shock and major fork rework including new springs, valves etc - he didn't care and was grinning all over his face and just wanted his Ducati to ride as well and be as fun as my Hawk - I said no way thats going to happen...

Look at what you need that the Hawk doesn't do well and go singleminded after a bike that is optimized for that...
        Last edited by JanM; 6 Days Ago. Reason: Stupid autocorrect...

Comment

The Guzzi is only 40hp and makes it very lazily. It's cool but it's closer to a bike 20 years older than a Hawk.

Unfortunately everything recent is world bike garbage. The Honda 500s and 700s feel like riding a Corolla,no personality or charm and the quality is just not very good. I want to like the Yamaha twins and triples but loathe the styling so much that I can't,they're just heinous looking things.

Try a Monster though. If you find a 696,they make pretty much the same power as a 696cc Hawk. I really like the old 900s,except for the comedy turning radius.

Comment

I feel like the new CB650F would be a fun bike but it's probably a bit too portly.
            Suzondacati Build Thread

Chain rollers, swing arm chain guides, brake hangers, etc.

Various parts for sale

Comment

Tuono!
              Speed triple
              I'm riding a 5th gen VFR in addition to the Hawk, and it has been pretty awesome sofar. Been lusting after a '12/'13 Speed triple R for a long time, but am now in the hunt for a good 1st/2nd gen Tuono factory.
              For what it offers, I think the VFR is a good stablemate for the Hawk. I'm not sure if the Tuono would just kill it for the Hawk.

Comment

A bike that I don't see mentioned here often is the BMW F800ST, which seems to offer an interesting set of features complementary to the Hawk.

Comment

Tuonos are amazing,probably my favorite street bike ever if judged on just how much fun to ride.

The best bike to compliment a Hawk is a VFR but the Tuono is a better machine. I don't think Steve is so much into fairings and stuff though. Tuonos aren't small and lithe like a Hawk but handle fabulously and have a wonderful motor,one of the best.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not a fairings guy neither. But after reading all the great reviews on the VFR, I had to try it out. It has not disappointed.

Been scoping the Tuonos since reading about them on this site. Considering the price, vs. speed triple, it's a no brainer.

Comment

Since we're talking about the Tuono, I think it's also worth mentioning the SV1000 (naked), Superhawk, and Buells?

Comment

Originally Posted by prom View Post
                        A bike that I don't see mentioned here often is the BMW F800ST, which seems to offer an interesting set of features complementary to the Hawk.
                        That's cause we're Honda guys. But kidding aside.....I like Rotax engines.The 800 twin is kinda neat.Some of the variants and prototypes (like the Husky900 Nudo) with that engine look wild.

Comment

The BMWs and Ducatis park down the street in front of the coffee shop.We just like them for their parts. and I third the motion.
                          Find a leftover Tuono......that'll bring a smile to your face.

Comment

Originally Posted by behindthetimes View Post
                            The BMWs and Ducatis park down the street in front of the coffee shop.We just like them for their parts. and I third the motion.
                            Find a leftover Tuono......that'll bring a smile to your face.
                            ...suddenly I find myself wondering whether anyone has ever modded out an "adventureHawk"...
                            My hips move my bike; my bike moves my soul.

'88 Hawk GT (Rekka)
                            '07 Shadow 600 (Gremlin)

'90 Hawk GT (Fireball/red-tailed hawk) RIP

Comment

Yes,they were called Transalps and Africa Twins. Robb Z built one in an act of Robb Z being Robb Z. It didn't stay together in that form long I don't think;pretty sure someone here owns it now.

Comment

Working...
                              X