• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miata

With a hellcat motor.

Someone's gotta do it...
    Respectfully 6

Originally Posted by ParcNHawk
    Aren't they sometimes named after people who've had spectacular crashes there? Don't worry, dude; almost every track has a "turn 6."

Won't fit, those lumps are too big. There are a bunch of shops that have put small block fords (original 302) and LSx motors in them though.
    '89 Hawk a.k.a. The RallyHawk (my son's now!) | '89 Hawk a.k.a. The Deuce | Spare Parts/Dented Learner Bike | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled! )

I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

I don't know. Sounds cool...... but, with his sports car racing experience, I think SPA will tell us the weight distribution would
      make for shitty handling. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun. The stock Miata motor (at least the original ones) were really
      detuned to make them NOT "high performance". It was intentional to put them in an insurance bracket that the young
      guys they wanted to buy them could afford.

Very tunable to unleash those choke-chained horses.

Comment

Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post
        Won't fit, those lumps are too big. There are a bunch of shops that have put small block fords (original 302) and LSx motors in them though.
        Yep...MGBs work well with a 302 or 289.....still front heavy. I think they use a Rover V8 in the UK. Better weight....aluminum block.

Comment

I was thinking mine needed an upgrade from the current 1.6L 115hp (when new) lump.
          88 Hawk GT

Talk big. Think small. Do nothing.

Comment

Andy,
            Need something fast; that will haul you, K and your tools?

This is what you get when a Jag XJS bangs a Volvo P1800es.

lynx.jpeg
            Lynx Eventer

Comment

Shooting Brake is the best car design. I don't like BMW's but I would love one of the clown-shoe Z3's (M coupe).
              88 Hawk GT

Comment

I've had a couple of Miatas (Miatae?), an '02 that I bought new, and an '00 that I got used, and already had a supercharger installed. Unfortunately, the piggyback computer that the previous owner installed was wiring hackjob, and I never could get it to run consistently. But when it was working, hot damn that thing was fun. Problem with adding too much hp is that you keep finding the next weakest link in your drivetrain. I went through that with an '88 RX-7 I added a supercharger too. Took it from 150hp at the flywheel, to 210hp at the wheels. Had to replace my clutch, rear pumpkin, axles...
                '89 Hawk a.k.a. The RallyHawk (my son's now!) | '89 Hawk a.k.a. The Deuce | Spare Parts/Dented Learner Bike | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled! )

I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post
                  I've had a couple of Miatas (Miatae?), an '02 that I bought new, and an '00 that I got used, and already had a supercharger installed. Unfortunately, the piggyback computer that the previous owner installed was wiring hackjob, and I never could get it to run consistently. But when it was working, hot damn that thing was fun. Problem with adding too much hp is that you keep finding the next weakest link in your drivetrain. I went through that with an '88 RX-7 I added a supercharger too. Took it from 150hp at the flywheel, to 210hp at the wheels. Had to replace my clutch, rear pumpkin, axles...
                  Yeah you just have to appreciate them for what they are. IMO if you want more power in a Miata it's best to just spend the money on a good turbo or SC. There are no unknowns about these cars due to the following and as long as you're not boosting to the max they can be just as reliable as a stock Miata. You can easily get them up to 175-200hp and that is plenty in a 2300lb car.
                  88 Hawk GT

Comment

Originally Posted by Gweenz View Post
                    Yeah you just have to appreciate them for what they are. IMO if you want more power in a Miata it's best to just spend the money on a good turbo or SC. There are no unknowns about these cars due to the following and as long as you're not boosting to the max they can be just as reliable as a stock Miata. You can easily get them up to 175-200hp and that is plenty in a 2300lb car.
                    I agree 100%; that was where my second miata was, just a mild amount of boost.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gweenz View Post

Yep....turbos are great for power to weight ratio. I had a SAAB SPG with a bunch of mods.
                      Fun to chirp the front tires....in third gear....and spank a V8 with a 2 liter 4.

Comment

Originally Posted by cloud09 View Post
                        Andy,
                        Need something fast; that will haul you, K and your tools?

This is what you get when a Jag XJS bangs a Volvo P1800es.

lynx.jpeg
                        Lynx Eventer
                        Haha, reminds me of Harold and Maude.

The big motor small car thing is not to make anything that hadles well.. just something that is rediculuos to drive..

My thought was that a Miata is 5k max, the hellcrate is 15k figure 5k to get it done.. for 25g what's more fun than that...

But if it doesn't fit that's an issue haha.
                        Respectfully 6

Aren't they sometimes named after people who've had spectacular crashes there? Don't worry, dude; almost every track has a "turn 6."

Comment

I still have this dream of building something around a Mercruiser 3.7L block (literally half of a Ford 460 big block) with an aluminum head, fuel injection and a free flowing exhaust.
                          Mercruiser designed and built an engine that was not a pre-existing automotive engine. This engine displaces 3.7 liters and uses the head, connecting rods, pistons and flywheel from the Ford 460 engine.

The Mercruiser 3.7 L 224 cubic inch engine is an inline 4-cylinder. It uses one cylinder head from the Ford 460 V8 and the same 4.36-inch bore as the 460. Stroke is 3.75 inches, which is shorter than the 3.85 inches of the Ford engine.

The Mercruiser 3.7 was available in five different horsepower ratings: 165, 170, 180, 185, and 190 horsepower. All were designed to operate in the 4,000 to 4,600 rpm range.
                          So from the factory with a stock head and a 4bbl carb, you could get 190hp from a large 4 cylinder aluminum block motor on pump gas. I'm guessing better heads would get you to 220-230hp, naturally aspirated. And it'd be a torque monster to boot. Drop that into a lightweight chassis and have some fun. Come to think of it, that would be a good motor for my other dream, an old Model A truck with modern 4wd underpinnings.

Comment

After driving this van I keep having diesel swap dreams... I was thinking this motor would go in your model a when we are done with the van haha
                            Respectfully 6

Comment

K swaps are easier in Miatas than MR2s and are lighter than stock. $25k would build a monster.

Comment

Working...
                              X