No announcement yet.

Why Hord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sent JD a motor who’s heads had been “ported by a monkey”, carbs and my exhaust. I got back a 700 with cams, cleaned up heads, fully dyno tuned 65hp, plugged it into my bike and it has run flawlessly for years. Has more power than I need and the fat flat torque curve is wonderful. Even with a 17 tooth front sprocket it pulls hard. But you want to know “Why Hord?” Because it will be done right.

I had the same experience when ordering Penskes from him for 3 different bikes. Tell him how much you weigh, what kind of riding you do and you get a shock that fits your bike and your needs perfectly.
    Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
    I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by riot View Post

In any case, not to cause a sudden rush, but you should get your builds and orders in if/while you can. Last time I asked him for a motor rebuild (not on one of his motors), he turned me down. He may be moving away from Hawks (at least for full and thorough builds), as other bikes have come along and aint nobody gettin' rich off Hawks.
      Could it possibly be because he finds you stupid... Or rude??
      Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post
        I sent JD a motor who’s heads had been “ported by a monkey”, carbs and my exhaust. I got back a 700 with cams, cleaned up heads, fully dyno tuned 65hp, plugged it into my bike and it has run flawlessly for years. Has more power than I need and the fat flat torque curve is wonderful. Even with a 17 tooth front sprocket it pulls hard. But you want to know “Why Hord?” Because it will be done right.
        How many season are on that motor now?

Comment

I will add that I sent my whole bike to His Hordness for an engine upgrade. I had a 700cc kit, Stage 1 heads and cam installed. Smartest thing I ever did! Loved the results and he Dyno tunes post install to make sure everything is running swimmingly. Super trusted and THE source all things Hawk.
          What you get is what you want. Hord can do it all. You need to pick out what upgrades you want. Perhaps the application and/or type of riding. Check out his website. But as it's been stated above... Contact J.D. Hord himself and open a conversation on what you want.
          Mark
          88 HawkGT (original owner)
          99 Concours
          02 VFR800

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
            How many season are on that motor now?
            This is the start of its 7th season.
            Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
            I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post

This is the start of its 7th season.
              Without much more than oil changes and maybe rocker clearence check going into it.

JD does good work!
              Last edited by 6; 2 Weeks Ago.

Comment

I am wryly amused and bemused by all this.

700 and cams is the short answer, head porting if you can swing the $$.

Building a decent Hawk engine is very easy. Or, at least, for me it was. My master head porter and machinist guru has retired from the moto end of business. The COVID downturn was too much, and greener pastures await those doing general production machine work. What this means is if you have some of my cylinder heads, treasure them, there will probably be no more. I'm not getting back into the porting biz myself, because it causes issues with my wrists, probably something leftover from the racing days. But for now, simple builds are possible.

Also, dealing with the scarcity of parts in these COVID times is a royal PITA that I can't even begin to describe. We love a 30 year old bike, but the love from manufacturers is not returned. They have limited material and human resources and wisely expend those resources on modern bikes. As I am starting to do more and more. Thanks y'all.
                J.D. Hord
                Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

Originally Posted by Hordpower View Post

Building a decent Hawk engine is very easy. Or, at least, for me it was. My master head porter and machinist guru has retired from the moto end of business. The COVID downturn was too much, and greener pastures await those doing general production machine work. What this means is if you have some of my cylinder heads, treasure them, there will probably be no more. I'm not getting back into the porting biz myself, because it causes issues with my wrists, probably something leftover from the racing days. But for now, simple builds are possible.

Also, dealing with the scarcity of parts in these COVID times is a royal PITA that I can't even begin to describe. We love a 30 year old bike, but the love from manufacturers is not returned. They have limited material and human resources and wisely expend those resources on modern bikes. As I am starting to do more and more. Thanks y'all.
                  You are much loved here Mr. Hord.

As a man what has many times sampled, but never owned, a motor with your heads I find that extremely disappointing. Though, considering my wife is driving a 96 Civic with a bad head gasket it's not like I was ordering up a set of heads, never mind a motor, any time soon.
                  Assembling a hawk motor is easy, I've assembled a handful (well easy-ish. It's not exactly a brake upgrade or fork swap..) Not to get into semantics but, building a hawk motor, not so much. and you sir, are an engine builder.
                  Even with assembly, just like turning left in nascar. The fact that turning left is easy, that makes doing it better than everyone else all that much more difficult yo.

Your shit works, every time, and like clockwork. If someone is wanting a guarantee that their shit will work like it should and do/make exactly what it should then you are the safest of safe bets my man.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hordpower View Post

Well, that makes me even more happy to have gone down the Hord route! In my case, it was good timing. He was in the middle of building a motor (663, 174x8 cams, S1 heads). So, I snagged it. I was a building a bike up from the ground. I had no core to worry about. All I had to do was pay the man, wait to have it finished, then pick it up. The one thing I didn't get to do was have the carbs dialed in and have the motor dyno'd. I keep tinkering with it (bike, not motor). The few times I have ridden it, it's easy to feel the power over stock. Big thanks JD! JD is one of the few members I have met in person. Very passionate person. Glad I got to meet him, see his shop and check out his toys.
                    Last edited by eyhonda; 1 Week Ago.
                    Eric Y.
                    NT663, VFR8 & CB1
                    Yuzon Designworks

Comment

Originally Posted by Xanderj13 View Post
                      I know a very popular solution to increased engine performance is to ship your motor off to Hord power however I would like to know two things. One has anyone on these forums ever actually done it and if so what all do you get for thefull Hord treatment? In other words can anyone give me a breakdown on exactly what takes place by the time the engine gets back to you with more power? Cams? Boring? Valves? What kind of machine work is involved?

FWIW Don't feel attacked by the JD Hord Love. 6 said it best when he says there will never be another JD Hord. Saddens me to think that but I digress. JD's done the work, the research, has the trophies, and obviously has our loyalty. There are a lot of dumb things you can do with your hawk but none of them involve JD.

Like any experienced builder though if you want his guidance, experience, and reputation stamped across your power plant, you have to pay a premium entry fee. That fee comes with the price for bolt on parts and what he brings to the table and as you see above JD welcomes you to do so from your own garage. JD's a wealth of knowledge in both assembly and trouble shooting (not just with the Hawk either mind you) and he will offer you a ton of support and guidance so long as you do not mind calling during business hours or sending an email and waiting for a response. His work on the parts you buy has a premium price because of his research and development as well as trials on the dyno and track.

Hope that helps you determine if and where you want to spend money on performance parts for your Hawk.
                      88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                      89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                      90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

2002 DL1000 V-Strom - Workhorse. beat it, flog it, it keeps on going...

Comment

Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post

FWIW Don't feel attacked by the JD Hord Love. 6 said it best when he says there will never be another JD Hord. Saddens me to think that but I digress. JD's done the work, the research, has the trophies, and obviously has our loyalty. There are a lot of dumb things you can do with your hawk but none of them involve JD.

Like any experienced builder though if you want his guidance, experience, and reputation stamped across your power plant, you have to pay a premium entry fee. That fee comes with the price for bolt on parts and what he brings to the table and as you see above JD welcomes you to do so from your own garage. JD's a wealth of knowledge in both assembly and trouble shooting (not just with the Hawk either mind you) and he will offer you a ton of support and guidance so long as you do not mind calling during business hours or sending an email and waiting for a response. His work on the parts you buy has a premium price because of his research and development as well as trials on the dyno and track.

Hope that helps you determine if and where you want to spend money on performance parts for your Hawk.
                        That is one eloquent and epic post. Love ya RP. Those who've made the pilgrimage to Bucyrus treasure the experience. Riot.....we are BOTH rude and stupid in comparo to the man.

Comment

So what I am after is a great looking bike. Full race fairings. Preferably a race replica like a Repsol, only street use and isn't a slouch. I do not see the point in 150 plus horsepower so I have a soft spot for smaller displacement engines so long as the bike is light and nimble. So, I would love to build a Hawk to be punchy in the curves, as lightweight as possible and look like the photo attached. Either that or build a CRF450 and make it street legal. First image is a Super Single 450Gp the second is my idea for the Hawk. download.jpeg
                          11staa000111.jpg

Comment

Goof luck with it. Do some reading and research here and there are plenty of bikes that have had fairings. All of it is generally custom work but the Hawk lends itself prety well to modern updates. Paint can be matched the the Repsol Livery as you wish. Hawks are already lighter than a lot of current bikes but with enough time and attention to detail you can make them lighter than most anything period.

Comment

I did speak with Mr. Hord and was advised for good street performance a 700 piston kit and cam is the way to go with the re-jet and exhaust.

I plan to keep the factory rear wheel for now because of the added weight of the VFR wheel and crud you gotta go thru to get it on there. I'll just powder coat the wheels black. The CBR front wheel is kinda hard to see behind the rotor anyways.

Respiring the forks and install emulators then stiffen the rear shock combined with Pilot Power 2CT tires and we'll see what it can do.

Comment

The right VFR rear wheel isn't really any heavier fwiw but it costs extra to fit it and you can put a 160 width tire on the factory rear wheel so there really isn't a reason to look at the VFR stuff unless you just want the different wheel or to run a 180 tire. In my opinion the Hawk looks really good with a 160 on the stock rear wheel. If you like he the ride height of the hawk currently then a better upgrade is the f2/f3 fork setups because they offer dual brakes if you want that and stock fork tube height. The cbr front wheels are kind of ugly but as you mentioned the discs will pretty much still hide the wheel and I am a big fan of paint it black and put it back in regard to most things.

The USD setups are about 1 3/4 inches shorter and I've personally come to not like it when combined with my riding position and style so you can just file that away in your memory if you care to revisit the idea.

One thing to consider if you you are going with a 700 Piston setup is to combine it with a set of JD's ported heads. It offers the most return on your power gains in every possible since. I wouldn't do one without the other to be honest but that is just my opinion on the matter and in fact probably come winter I have a motor I am going to be doing that with to go in my personal Hawk.

Comment

Working...
                                X