Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-Hawk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    E-Hawk

    So a guy that works at the airport with me is almost done converting a Suzuki GS 500F to electric. All he lacks is the race fairings from Hotbodies and some finishing touches. It rides as a naked right now and the thing is stupid fast! I don't know the specifics behind what all makes it go but he said it was very easy to build. He claims the torque delivery never stops from take off to acceleration at cruising speed. Could be a possible engine choice for people wanting a faster Hawk?

    #2
    A DC motor conversion is relatively easy but old technology. AC motors are more complex but more efficient with more range. Requires DC to AC inverter.

    I was thinking to build one from my spare Hawk as I have easy access to Leaf batteries. The motor is the big investment. Starts at $1000 and goes up. Too much money for me just to experiment.

    Last edited by eyhonda; 05-13-2021, 12:40 PM.
    Eric Y.
    NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
    Yuzon Designworks

    Comment


      #3
      I can 100% help with this if you would want to do it. I just built a new lithium battery for my son's bike, and I have built electric and hybrid cars in the past.

      All I can say is prepare for some sticker shock on the batteries. Batteries have gone up to 2x in the last year.

      Comment


        #4
        What's the rough cost on that? Motor, battery/s controller etc.

        Is that a $800 swap or a $4000 one?

        The only way I would ever do that is if it's cheap.
        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

        Comment


          #5
          So much not cheap.

          The cost is really dependent on many factors, but mostly range is the deciding factor. If you wanted hawk like performance, with minimal range (30 miles), you could probably get down to $2500-3k. With a ton of DIY.

          To me the use case is to get a very light bike, for low speed work, principally in traffic or neighborhood settings. These things are a hoot at low speeds because of the instant torque. Something like a pit bike, or a trials bike would be sick. Wheelies all day, in stealth mode.

          What about a speedway bike? Of course we would need a rider who doesn’t crash all the time

          Comment


            #6
            it would be a shame to hack up a hawk for an electrick conversion.
            "It's only getting worse."


            MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

            Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally Posted by squirrelman View Post
              it would be a shame to hack up a hawk for an electrick conversion.
              Part of me says the same thing. But I would design it so it wouldn't be permanent and it would be reversible. My spare Hawk is a good candidate since it has no motor. If the total cost would be the same as a built ICE, then maybe. A lot of it's soul will be lost without a thumping, living twin motor. No question an electric bike will be fast but no shifting will take getting used to.
              Eric Y.
              NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
              Yuzon Designworks

              Comment


                #8
                Originally Posted by riot View Post
                I can 100% help with this if you would want to do it. I just built a new lithium battery for my son's bike, and I have built electric and hybrid cars in the past.

                All I can say is prepare for some sticker shock on the batteries. Batteries have gone up to 2x in the last year.
                Remember, I have access to Leaf gen 1 modules. 500w, 8v, 8lbs each. 12 would be 96 volts, 6kw, 96 lbs. I hope the motor would be 50 lbs. 6kw will get me only 60-70 miles. 35-40kw would be similar hp.
                Eric Y.
                NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
                Yuzon Designworks

                Comment


                  #9
                  what would be the likely weight difference gas vs. 'lectrick ?
                  "It's only getting worse."


                  MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

                  Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    It would be close. An engine is 150 lb. Need to the tank, radiator and all fluids. An electric is roughly 100 lb batteries, 50 lb motor. Add some electronics.
                    Eric Y.
                    NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
                    Yuzon Designworks

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally Posted by eyhonda View Post

                      Remember, I have access to Leaf gen 1 modules. 500w, 8v, 8lbs each. 12 would be 96 volts, 6kw, 96 lbs. I hope the motor would be 50 lbs. 6kw will get me only 60-70 miles. 35-40kw would be similar hp.
                      Ok wait, now you have my interest: what does “have access to” entail?

                      And when you say 500w, do you mean 500w*h? So that would make the A*h of each module - 62.5 A*h?! Finally, the range would be really dependent on speed/load, but yeah, 6kw*h would go pretty far, if I read that correctly.

                      I mean, if the battery price is right, this could def be a thing. Not sure an e-hawk my first choice for an ebike design, but it might be cool just to do. Plus I have parts-a-plenty to make it happen.


                      Last edited by riot; 05-13-2021, 07:12 PM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally Posted by eyhonda View Post
                        It would be close. An engine is 150 lb. Need to the tank, radiator and all fluids. An electric is roughly 100 lb batteries, 50 lb motor. Add some electronics.
                        Don’t forget that a 40kw motor would feel like 2x hawk power off the low end, with all of that immediate juicy instant torque.

                        My sons ebike is only 750w, and that thing can wheelie with me on it.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally Posted by riot View Post

                          Ok wait, now you have my interest: what does “have access to” entail?

                          And when you say 500w, do you mean 500w*h? So that would make the A*h of each module - 62.5 A*h?! Finally, the range would be really dependent on speed/load, but yeah, 6kw*h would go pretty far, if I read that correctly.

                          I mean, if the battery price is right, this could def be a thing. Not sure an e-hawk my first choice for an ebike design, but it might be cool just to do. Plus I have parts-a-plenty to make it happen.

                          Our company is in the process of remaning EV batteries. I can't divulge too much info. I can't make a habit of taking a bunch of modules but they won't care about 10 or 20. Each Leaf pack has 48. We have about 50 packs. We tear then apart and replace bad with better. So I don't have great new batteries but they are free. Expensive even used.

                          Each car is 24kw. So yes,, 500wh Each. 66 ah 400volts. Cars get 3 to 4 miles per kw. Leaf has about 70 mile range.. bikes can get about 10 miles per kw. Bicycles get even more.
                          Eric Y.
                          NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
                          Yuzon Designworks

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I knew I saw another thread about this - but didn't realize it was from 2009! https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/ho...-electric-hawk

                            dimr1' s post was pretty (nearly) prophetic: "A Hawk GT for the year 2020."

                            I imagine the technology has changed a wee bit though.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
                              I knew I saw another thread about this - but didn't realize it was from 2009! https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/ho...-electric-hawk

                              dimr1' s post was pretty (nearly) prophetic: "A Hawk GT for the year 2020."

                              I imagine the technology has changed a wee bit though.
                              I do remember seeing that awhile back but not thru the forum.. Yup, that was a DC motor. No inverter needed. Just get a bunch of 12v batteries in series and connect to a motor through a speed controller that varies the voltage level. Like an electric go cart with four or six 12v batteries running a 48/72v DC motor.. The controller was a MOSFET based throttle. I think RC cars run DC motors. They have electronic throttle controllers, also MOSFETs.
                              Eric Y.
                              NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
                              Yuzon Designworks

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X