Brake pads and my head is spinning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake pads and my head is spinning

I just looked at EbAy and there must be a dozen different front pads available with prices all over the map. I have used EBC ($$$) and Sixity ($) but anyone have any good advice?

I had a Yamaha Virago 750 cruiser recently and the Sixity pads worked fine, but the Hawk is another matter completely.

I use the EBC pads. Period.

They just work, and it's not a space I'm looking to try and save a buck.. I also don't have the money for crazy ass bakes..

There are plenty of cheap reliable pads out there I'm sure. But I don't know how many of them I would trust after getting them blazing hot a few times. I have nightmares of the pad surface coming off the backing metal at the track.

When it comes to performance, I ask that time and again, how often do you pull that lever all the way to the bar and wish there was more brake? For 99.x percent of street riders that answer is never.. so I would pick reliable quality over budget performance on a street bike any day.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
      I use the EBC pads. Period.

They just work, and it's not a space I'm looking to try and save a buck.. I also don't have the money for crazy ass bakes..

There are plenty of cheap reliable pads out there I'm sure. But I don't know how many of them I would trust after getting them blazing hot a few times. I have nightmares of the pad surface coming off the backing metal at the track.

When it comes to performance, I ask that time and again, how often do you pull that lever all the way to the bar and wish there was more brake? For 99.x percent of street riders that answer is never.. so I would pick reliable quality over budget performance on a street bike any day.
      Yeah, never had a bad day with EBC brakes, but I have been out of the moto world for 20+ years. Not sure what the story is these days.

I know EBC worked great on my YZ125 I raced into the ground.

Comment

Originally Posted by Realred96 View Post

Yeah, never had a bad day with EBC brakes, but I have been out of the moto world for 20+ years. Not sure what the story is these days.

I know EBC worked great on my YZ125 I raced into the ground.
        Ya man!!

There was something special about racing 125cc 2-strokes.

You learned shit that you just plain can't learn on a 4stroke. If you could work a clutch, a shifter + ride smooth enough to keep a 125 on the pipe for a whole lap, never mind whole race, you would feel a sense of accomplishment that I just can't see these kids on the 4 strokes feeling.

All that mechanical grip, tq and engine braking of the 4 strokes fucked me all up. When that wave came though I remember thinking to myself, self, I guess thats it for you and motocross, cause you'll never prefer a 450 over a 250.

The good ol' days. I miss em. Damn I feel old.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

Ya man!!

There was something special about racing 125cc 2-strokes.

You learned shit that you just plain can't learn on a 4stroke. If you could work a clutch, a shifter + ride smooth enough to keep a 125 on the pipe for a whole lap, never mind whole race, you would feel a sense of accomplishment that I just can't see these kids on the 4 strokes feeling.

All that mechanical grip, tq and engine braking of the 4 strokes fucked me all up. When that wave came though I remember thinking to myself, self, I guess thats it for you and motocross, cause you'll never prefer a 450 over a 250.

The good ol' days. I miss em. Damn I feel old.

For real....I want to get a 4 stroke CRF but I know It would be a huge adjustment. I hear you about keeping on the pipe on a 2 stroke.

In my day In the late 80's and through the 90's the 4 strokes were only XR600's and 250's and I could run with them on a tight course on my YZ125 or IT200. The 4 stroke 250's were dogs back then. However The XR600's had some guts especially with my 135# ass on one! It was just to big a horse for me to race effectively, sadly.

Comment

Originally Posted by Realred96 View Post

For real....I want to get a 4 stroke CRF but I know It would be a huge adjustment. I hear you about keeping on the pipe on a 2 stroke.

In my day In the late 80's and through the 90's the 4 strokes were only XR600's and 250's and I could run with them on a tight course on my YZ125 or IT200. The 4 stroke 250's were dogs back then. However The XR600's had some guts especially with my 135# ass on one! It was just to big a horse for me to race effectively, sadly.
            I am a half a generation behind you. Got my first bike when i was 8. An 89 CR80 in 1990. I had two stokes all the way though till i got a yz426, brand new in 2002, on a Yamaha credit card that i never made a payment on. It was a hoot in the woods and pits but at that point i didn't go to the track any more.

I moved to GA with it in 2003 and quickly sold it for a road race bike . . When i moved back home i got a CR250 and started going to the track again. had it roughly 05 to 08 and I didn't actually start hitting the MX track on 4 strokes till i got a yz450 somewhere around 08. It was UN-FUCKING-MANAGEABLE. I remember thinking i would trade it for my 250 back in a second. Couldn't wrap my head around it. . . . Just had too many built in habits to break... It was so bad (or should i say I was so bad).

Eventually traded it for an exc250 (GREAT bike). I'll never have another 450 mx bike. If i get another 4 stroke it will be a XR or a DR.. something that starts with a button and has a headlight. But even then i'll take a KTM smoker of its an option.

Comment

On the Hawk I have had good luck with EBC (both street and track compounds) and DP (HH) pads.
              ASMA #139

Comment

I've used both EBC and SBS and found them both fine. Never rode hard enough to fade either one. Street manners are good.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Originally Posted by ParcNHawk View Post
                  . Street manners are good.
                  Yes sir. There is a good bit of chuckle factor in building a "race bike" for the street and taking it out for a rip through some backroads having a massive excess of everything performance related.

But for a bike you actually use like a street bike.. let's say there is a reason they make street and race parts. And that reason is not that everyone is a pussy. There are compromises everywhere.

Never, ever, ever, thought I would say that.

Comment

I think I will go with the EBC.....My riding style now leans towards the "P" word in intensity......

Comment

Working...
                    X