Shinko 705 Adventure/Touring Tires ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinko 705 Adventure/Touring Tires ?

Has anyone tried the Shinko 705 Adventure/Touring Tires ?
    I don't ride many curvy roads but there are several gravel roads (Timber roads) that I would like to ride.
    This sounds like a possible tire for my NT650 on the next tire purchase. ??
    Anyone with experience on any bikes ?

Stay Safe and have fun

Originally Posted by ExTex View Post
    Has anyone tried the Shinko 705 Adventure/Touring Tires ?
    I don't ride many curvy roads but there are several gravel roads (Timber roads) that I would like to ride.
    This sounds like a possible tire for my NT650 on the next tire purchase. ??
    Anyone with experience on any bikes ?

Stay Safe and have fun
    Man, I hate commenting advice on things I have no first hand experience with. But I have been thinking the same thing.

I almost never run low on grip on the street hawk. Can't tell you the last time on a clean dry road I had a hawk sliding and spinning. It just doesn't hapoe... And I run whatever old rires are laying around. Living on gravel and dirt roads I run out of grip on those constantly. I have been really thinking about jumping to a dual sport tire.

The only down side I can see would be noise on the pavement. But again, haven't tried it.

How often on the paved roads are you loosing traction? If you are like.most I would bet the answer is never, unless you run into dirt, gravel or debris on the road.. at which point a dual sport tire would best a "sport" tire any day.

My opinion, fuck yeah. Tires these days have WAY more street grip than anyone is using, especially on a hawk and they are terrible on iffy roads..

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

I had several sets of the Shinko 705 on my 1990 Transalp. Reasonable grip on gravel roads, wear quickly, not a premium tire, but hey, for that price you can give them a try.

Comment

Originally Posted by ricksax View Post
        I had several sets of the Shinko 705 on my 1990 Transalp. Reasonable grip on gravel roads, wear quickly, not a premium tire, but hey, for that price you can give them a try.
        How was the road noise?

Comment

I don't remember them as noisy. Of course, on that bike they replaced a big block knobby, so it seemed relatively quiet. By the way, here's a BMW scrambler on bikebound.com with 705s.

Shinko 705.png

Comment

I have had them on a Vstorm and they are noisy, and on the front tire they cause weird harmonics. Stick with a street tread on your Hawk and you will have zero regrets. Shinko makes a RAven in the sizes you want on a Hawk and it's a sport touring tire. Will last longer than a super sport tire and give you plenty of grip in most all riding scenarios except ice, if your into that kind of thing.

Also, importantly, they are inexepnsive.

https://shinkotireusa.com/product/00...al-tire/211893

88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
            89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
            90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

On VFR wheel on a Hawk even.

Comment

Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
                I have had them on a Vstorm and they are noisy, and on the front tire they cause weird harmonics. Stick with a street tread on your Hawk and you will have zero regrets. Shinko makes a RAven in the sizes you want on a Hawk and it's a sport touring tire. Will last longer than a super sport tire and give you plenty of grip in most all riding scenarios except ice, if your into that kind of thing.

Also, importantly, they are inexepnsive.

https://shinkotireusa.com/product/00...al-tire/211893

I ran 2 sets of Shinko Raven tires on a Kawasaki Versys and concur with rpcraft.
                Acta non verba

'88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
                '88 Restomod
                '16 Yamaha FJ-09

Comment

I'll correct myself a little here for the sake of what you might be riding into as far as road surface. If you are running gravel roads all the time the 705's may be a little better than street tires but to be fair I had them on a DR650 and they were kind of shit on roads that were Texas Koleche roads and gravel mixes. Especially if they were dry and powdery (which is most of them). In those circumstances after 1 ride I desperately wished I had big ass knobbies because I was sliding all over the place, both front and rear. The 705's just didn't have any grip in those circumstances. Just my $.02. I know somone who had some big knobbies on his Hawk. I don't want to name names but maybe he'll post a photo of the setup. It's kinda hilarious to see. I would but don't have a photo handy,lol.

Comment

I have them on my Weestrom and drag peg with them no problems. Im not really an offroader but ride lots of forest roads and creek crossings with them at about 35mph max and I feel okay. But I also did the same thing with S21s on my FZ09 so...what do I know?!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Ya. ParcNHawk had knobs on his winter bike.

Was pretty dope.

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
                        Ya. ParcNHawk had knobs on his winter bike.

Was pretty dope.
                        The Big Knob, lol!!!

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 2 photos.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

I would absolutely do that if the Speedway bike didn't need tires more than the street bike does.

Comment

I still have those tires. 130 front and 150 rear.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Working...
                              X