Still no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no spark

I picked up a non running 88 hawk recently and am having trouble getting spark. Initially I put it on a battery charger/tester set to 12V HIGH/START to crank it over due to the dead battery it came with. It cranked over but the dash flashed like a Christmas tree and turn signal relay chattered like crazy while cranking. Battery positive terminal was shorted to ground until I removed turn signal relay. 5 Fuses rang out to ground, the ones fed with the R/Bl from the ignition switch, while ignition switch was’ON’ and kill switch in ‘RUN’. After unplugging the entire dash, front/rear turns, head/tail lights to try and find a short. I now only get a short on the R/Bl while I hit the start switch. And if I pull the ignition fuse (6) I don’t get a short on R/Bl when I hit start switch. I’m doing all this testing with the starter (+) and battery terminal (+) disconnected. So I’m checking downstream of the ignition fuse (6) which leads me to the Bl/W from IG2 that feeds the ignition coils. I had already checked the spark unit voltage multiple times also the resistances of the primary/secondary coils front and rear and pulse generators. ALL are within spec. But my spark unit voltage drops from ~ 12.9VDC to 12.1 right as I hit start switch even with starter (+) disconnected. I believe I need minimum 12.6? Do the Bu/Y and Y/Bu coming back to the spark unit from the ignition coils get grounded by the spark unit assuming the pulse generators are working properly? I know the pulse generators need the engine cranking to work but with the starter (+) disconnected should my spark unit voltage (Bl/W) be dropping so fast? Holy smokes this is a mess of text. This is my first bike and I’m grasping at straws at this point to get this thing sparking. Thanks to anyone who reads all this.

Nick

Hi nick,

Curious, Did you try and sign up as Zero_Cool first?

I'm not looking at the schematic, so I'm not following your troubleshooting method well enough to advise you on it, but did oyu check the kill switch contacts? we find the majority of "cranks fine, but no spark" issues are corroded wires in the kill switch.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

You should crank the engine to check the ignition.......You need to check resistance values of the ignition pick ups..I have been down this road with other bikes and unfortunately it led to a bad ignition module...

Comment

Working...
      X