Suggestions for steering damper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for steering damper?

The Ohlins that came with my bike works, but isn't super-great and is > 10 years old. It's the type that mounts on a standoff that bolts through a hole drilled in the frame and then goes to the left fork with 150mm stroke. It has lost oil through the years and needs to be turned up quite high to function, and then there's definitely a fair amount of the travel that's compressing air without much effect. It has a damper rod that likely needs to be replaced because of chrome pitting, so a rebuild ends up being about the price of brand-new. At about $450, that seems quite dear to me.
    Amazon has wildly fake Ohlins on it for $60 where half of the reviews say it leaked even before they mounted it. Then there are the myriad versions that mount on the top of the triple clamp with very little stroke.
    One other thing I'm not wild about is the limited stroke of it, even though it's likely the longest possible. The PO mounted aluminum blocks on the headstock to limit max turning and not hyper-extend its stroke. It's not like doing a 7 point turn in the Queen Elizabeth, but the U-turn radius isn't small.
    I feel that some dampening helps if I do something ham-fisted on acceleration, and with no dampening I feel it's too twitchy. Says the guy whose other bike is an NSR50R obviously without a damper.

Suggestions?
    Hawk with many differently shaped fuel tanks.

If you can find one, I would recommend a Toby steering damper.
    ASMA #139

Comment

I have a clamp on steering damper that fits the Hawk. It clamps on both ends, so no drilling necessary.

I don't know offhand what brand it is. I can take some pics if you're interested.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Pics appreciated as well as your feedback on how well it works and longevity.

Comment

if you're not racing, have good tires and head bearings, damper isn't needed on a hawk, just don't hold the bars too tight.
          "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

In addition to the Toby damper, I have a no name unit that is non-adjustable yet works really well. The body of the damper is 235mm with a stroke of 147mm.
            Attached Files
            ASMA #139

Comment

behindthetimes has a nice compact one on top of the top triple clamp.

Comment

I don't remember what brand we have on the race bike ATM. If it even is a brand. I have been through a plethora of random piston style dampers and I truly believe that is the way to go over the top mount. Wouldn't hesitate to buy a random $50 unit and throw it on.

You are not looking for detailed adjustability to dial in specific damping, right? You just want tank slapper protection? If so that can be done easy and cheap ime.
                Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Originally Posted by Talon View Post
                  In addition to the Toby damper, I have a no name unit that is non-adjustable yet works really well. The body of the damper is 235mm with a stroke of 147mm.
                  The one I have attaches at the same points but clamps on both ends.

It also has a twist adjustment for dampening... BUT I can't find the #^@%%! thing yet!

I was almost certain that it was on a shelf in the garage. The same garage that was burglarized for my bicycle. I will continue to look for it. I don't think the bicycle thief stole it, so I have to have it somewhere.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Originally Posted by ParcNHawk View Post

The one I have attaches at the same points but clamps on both ends.

It also has a twist adjustment for dampening... BUT I can't find the #^@%%! thing yet!

I was almost certain that it was on a shelf in the garage. The same garage that was burglarized for my bicycle. I will continue to look for it. I don't think the bicycle thief stole it, so I have to have it somewhere.
                    I would be interested in seeing the frame side clamp. Does it go to that little down bar?

Comment

I ordered the style C: https://www.amazon.com/JFG-RACING-Mo...7GKRGCW7/?th=1
                      Among all the terribly reviewed, leaky, cheapo, off-brand, fraudulently labeled Ohlins dampers, it looked the best.

Comment

Originally Posted by Henway View Post
                        I ordered the style C: https://www.amazon.com/JFG-RACING-Mo...7GKRGCW7/?th=1
                        Among all the terribly reviewed, leaky, cheapo, off-brand, fraudulently labeled Ohlins dampers, it looked the best.
                        I've had that damper. Thought it was great.

I know some people say "hawks don't need dampers".

My truck doesn't "need" posi traction... But it's nice to have and although I'm never entirely sure when it's helpful, I'm sure it has been many times and I've never wished it wasn't there.

Comment

So.... It's too short. The original real Íhlins has a stroke of 150mm and the PO put in shims on the steering head which limit the steering the exact amount. With this I can usually do a U-turn on a 2 lane road, but barely. Pushing it around the garage has me doing many 5 point turns. The JFG (from above link) would be "probably" fine on a track, but any hairpin curve you'll need to get good lean angle so you don't use all the steering angle.

Íhlins JFG
                          Total length 415 360
                          shock body 235 215
                          stroke 150 125
                          calculated seal null space 30 20

Íhlins has more space for I assume seals. Were JFG to have a longer one, it would need to be at least 385mm.

Searching Amazon is a shit-show. More transverse dampers than I can shake a stick at. Keywords LONG or linear or 15" or 16" or 5mm increments from 385 to 415 get me nowhere. Their search function is legitimately terrible for doing this. eBay at least tells me there are 0 matches for all the same searches. Tons of Yamaha MT09 types.

I have difficulty believing something with a 150mm+ stroke doesn't exist. Anywhere. But here we are.

Anyone have any links or can search better than me?

Or make recommendations on a transverse type, because it's possible my damper doesn't exist (under $600).

Comment

I finally found that damper I have. I can take measurements and get pictures a little later on

Comment

The X-Long might fit the bill.
                              https://www.economycycle.com/shop/ya...er-stabilizer/
                              ASMA #139

Comment

Working...
                              X