Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CB-1 front fender retrofit...Any pictures out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB-1 front fender retrofit...Any pictures out there?

Does anyone have any pictures of the CB-1 CB400F front fender installed on a Hawk?

I think my stock fender is a goner and want to see what alternatives there are. The stock fender is kind of fugly.

THANKS!

https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/ho...085#post417085
    ASMA #139

Comment

I just got out the saw and sander and reshaped (an extra) stock one until it looked more like a classic Ducati or Rickman.

Tokico Hawk MED.jpg

Comment

Here are pics of my bike with one of Fabian's CB-1 fiberglass fenders (same as Talon linked to) and the other fender is a cut down stock fender on my backup bike.
        deuce fender.jpgimage_52503.jpg
        Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
        I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by ricksax View Post
          I just got out the saw and sander and reshaped (an extra) stock one until it looked more like a classic Ducati or Rickman.

Tokico Hawk MED.jpg
          WOW, that looks great! I DO NOT have the skills to do that!

Comment

Originally Posted by Realred96 View Post

WOW, that looks great! I DO NOT have the skills to do that!
            Oh yes you do. Disassemble. Keep the metal brace. Clean everything. (The inside of a Hawk fender is pretty nasty.) Get some 1/4" or 1/8" plastic masking tape, mark the center line and then mark the shape you want. Then rough cut it with a coping or sabre saw. It will look bad. Then shape it with a cheap HF or Craftsman belt/disc sander, a little at a time. If uncertain, sand and prime it and look at it for a while. It takes some time to get it right. Well, easy to get one side right, a little harder to make the other side symmetrical. Then repaint. Hey, give it a try. I mean its winter up here.... And no, you can't pay me to do another one.

Comment

Originally Posted by ricksax View Post

Oh yes you do. Disassemble. Keep the metal brace. Clean everything. (The inside of a Hawk fender is pretty nasty.) Get some 1/4" or 1/8" plastic masking tape, mark the center line and then mark the shape you want. Then rough cut it with a coping or sabre saw. It will look bad. Then shape it with a cheap HF or Craftsman belt/disc sander, a little at a time. If uncertain, sand and prime it and look at it for a while. It takes some time to get it right. Well, easy to get one side right, a little harder to make the other side symmetrical. Then repaint. Hey, give it a try. I mean its winter up here.... And no, you can't pay me to do another one.
              Yeah, thank you for the vote of confidence and run through on the procedure!

Getting that guy symmetrical is the issue....I am so OCD that it would drive me insane if it was off even a millimeter.

Comment

I reshape front and rear fenders a lot, using pretty much that technique. Getting them symmetrical is the final hardest step, but not really that bad. Measuring, holding up to the light and comparing the profiles, even taking a "rubbing" of the profile I like and cutting it out as a comparator. Why don't you start on your "goner" and hone some skills. Guarantee, when you get decent you will want to do it on more things and get even better.
                "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

Pretty happy with mine.

You can see where I narrowed the rear to lose the speedo cable bracket hole. I kept a little of the original Hawk shape which helps keep things symmetrical cuz you're mostly just marking in on the profile with a pen or tape the same amount on each side. Then after your rough cut you can widdle away a bit on each side to finalize the shape.
                  Last edited by Captain 80s; 11-28-2021, 08:07 AM.
                  "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

That looks pretty nice....Gives me some ideas on how to do this.

Thanks everyone who posted up on this.

Comment

Originally Posted by Realred96 View Post
                      That looks pretty nice....Gives me some ideas on how to do this.

Thanks everyone who posted up on this.
                      First you have to take the fender off, gently separate it from the metal brace, and clean and degrease. Then see my previous detailed post above. You can do it all by hand, but a cheap belt sander will have a thousand other uses in your workshop.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=951904&d=1640180730&type=thumb
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.
                        88 Hawk GT, Tempest Gray, California Model, desmoged, Wilbers 640 rear shock, CBR600f3 front internals, F/R custom springs, SS Brake lines F/R through SSA, CB650F Nissin 3-pot caliper, CB1 front fender, Factory Pro Jet Stage 3, Ram-Air Pods, CBR600f3 clip-ons, Fuel Diablo MicroMini exhaust, 17T/44T F/R sprockets, CBR600f2 speedo, frinesi2's chainroller, Reload's framesliders, F-110/70 R-160/60 Michelin PR3 - location: Utrecht Holland (NL)

Comment

Very nice bike...thanks for posting that!

Comment

Working...
                          X