Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eileen’s cowl

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Eileen’s cowl

    When her last Hawk was stolen, it had a Fabian cowl custom reinforced to support the weight of her saddlebags. Fabian has since taken this approach on his latest runs. Fast forward, she picked up one 3goldens’ Hawks, and ordered another Fabian cowl for it. Finally got around to painting it with Andy today. One thing we learned is that our Honda Italian Red is the same as GM 62U Red Hot. For less than $30 got a pint made up and sprayed it today.
    Attached Files
    Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
    I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

    #2
    Was fun hanging out today my friend!!!
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

    Comment


      #3
      Nice! I wish I could paint that well. My painting skills stink.
      Brian - Richland, WA
      1991 Hawk GT
      1997 VFR

      Comment


        #4
        Not to detract from Andy’s skills, but it’s all about the prep work, being patient/not rushing, and knowing when to say “good enough”. We used a harbor freight gun, filter and pressure regulator with some quality paint, and got pretty good results.
        Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
        I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

        Comment


          #5
          I'm not good with the "being patient" part. I'm a get 'er done kind of guy. I rush the prep, don't even out well in between coats, sometimes spray too much and get some alligatoring, don't spray enough and get rough coverage, etc....
          Brian - Richland, WA
          1991 Hawk GT
          1997 VFR

          Comment


            #6
            Looking good Andy.
            A painting tip. Wet the floor area where you are painting. This will help to keep dust and dirt out of the air and thus helping to keep dirt out of the wet paint.
            Acta non verba


            '88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
            '88 Restomod
            '22 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

            Comment


              #7
              Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post
              When her last Hawk was stolen, it had a Fabian cowl custom reinforced to support the weight of her saddlebags. Fabian has since taken this approach on his latest runs. Fast forward, she picked up one 3goldens’ Hawks, and ordered another Fabian cowl for it. Finally got around to painting it with Andy today. One thing we learned is that our Honda Italian Red is the same as GM 62U Red Hot. For less than $30 got a pint made up and sprayed it today.
              Wait, wait, wait... did I miss the part where you're spraying 2 pack paintjobs??? Or did we have this discussion??

              That GM 62U Red Hot looks... well, red hot!!! I wish I had the time for such things...

              You spraying it with clear after that?
              1988 "BlackHawk" project
              1989 "RallyHawk" is Chuck's now!
              1988 "The Gray" Tempest Gray Metallic stocker

              I can't tell you how peaceful it is. Shinya Kimura
              People who know ride Hawks. Riot

              Comment


                #8
                Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
                Looking good Andy.
                A painting tip. Wet the floor area where you are painting. This will help to keep dust and dirt out of the air and thus helping to keep dirt out of the wet paint.
                We usually do, but the shop uses radiant heating in the floor and it just evaporates quickly. We’ve also been known to make a paint booth by hanging plastic drop cloths to make a clean room.
                Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
                I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally Posted by dagus View Post

                  Wait, wait, wait... did I miss the part where you're spraying 2 pack paintjobs??? Or did we have this discussion??

                  That GM 62U Red Hot looks... well, red hot!!! I wish I had the time for such things...

                  You spraying it with clear after that?
                  You missed it.

                  it got primer, 4 coats of color and 4 coats of clear, if my memory serves.

                  Thers an auto paint supply shop by Andy, we ordered the Honda Italian Red, and they told him about the GM cross reference.
                  Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
                  I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Very nice job, as usual! So, I plan to give it a try myself on my Fabian cowl. I'll report separately once I do. I have to work on the seam on the back where the tail light cutout is.

                    Great job! I love fresh paint!
                    Eric Y.
                    NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
                    Yuzon Designworks

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
                      Looking good Andy.
                      A painting tip. Wet the floor area where you are painting. This will help to keep dust and dirt out of the air and thus helping to keep dirt out of the wet paint.
                      Like chuck said, normally we would have cleaned the shop, swept and wet the floor, put a drop cloth down, and a lot more. Normally painting a set of body work start to finish would take us a week. Not this one. Leandros set was at least a month of weekends from first hit if sand paper to buffing out the clear.


                      This is more of a spray and pray job. This tail is going to NYC to be used as a daily that's parked outside on the street. It's the third or forth tail we have done for this bike.. it keeps getting hit.


                      There is some dust in the paint, some roughs spots where the over spray dried rough, a little bit of peal here and there. But it's nothing that won't wet sand out.

                      We can do some great paint work. And no offense meant to Eileen's who I love dearly, but if you want our best work, and you are not direct family, it's going to cost some $$. It's painstaking.

                      This one is more a quick favor for a friend.

                      ​​​​​​​I did a little wet sand today with 800. It comes flat, dust came out and there is plenty of clear left. 69Falcon glad we called it when we did.. it's thick..

                      Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally Posted by eyhonda View Post
                        Very nice job, as usual! So, I plan to give it a try myself on my Fabian cowl. I'll report separately once I do. I have to work on the seam on the back where the tail light cutout is.

                        Great job! I love fresh paint!
                        That seam is a bit if a bitch. And on this one there are some spots in the gel coat that are not perfect. If you are going for a great outcome id probably at least start with a good sanding then a filler primer and sand thay flat, if yours is like this one.

                        Love the bracing and the metal tabs he uses. The rubber mount tail light tab is also a very nice touch.

                        We are lucky to have that man building these bad boys!!

                        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Thanks for the tips Andy, and yes these are awesome pieces. Well made!!
                          Last edited by eyhonda; 01-17-2022, 04:30 PM.
                          Eric Y.
                          NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
                          Yuzon Designworks

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X