Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for tips to reduce clutch hand pain.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Looking for tips to reduce clutch hand pain.

    A few years ago I tripped on a broken paving stone and hurt my left wrist. After physiotherapy it got better and I didn't really think about it for ages. This year I have been having troubles to the point this morning I did a quick spin to the plumbers merchant and when I got back home my left wrist and thumb were simultaneously numb and on fire.

    Currently using Oxford super grips but have some slimmer Renthal grips in a cupboard I can swap over. Clutch cable is new but clutch itself is a bit heavy might see about getting softer springs.

    I have ordered a wrist support but any tips from fellow sufferers would be great.

    PS I am right handed so self abuse is not the problem

    #2
    I have arthritis in my hands. My VFR750 was the worst the Hawk is not bad but can be made better. My 2 Hawks have this modification. It just extends the arm about 5/16 to 3/8 of an inche. I have seen these advertised on ebay but it was years ago.

    clutch arm.jpg IMG_4244.jpg
    Bill,
    88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

    Comment


      #3
      I don't have your same issue, but I shattered my left hand (compound in one spot. Ick.) and also pulled my thumb off braking the hand again in two separate bike related incidents.

      The l Home thing I have found to help with pain/comfort is the perch/lever combo, the grips and most important, the angle I set my levers at.

      I'll spend a substantial amount of time setting and dialing in my lever position and all the ergos.

      My favorite upgrade are the things I touch, they are now you interact with the bike. Levers, grips, foot pegs/rear sets, seats... It's amazing what a bunch of small changes can do.

      I'm sure you have already spent the time setting up the ergos, but had to mention it.

      Longer lever pulls easier. For my clutch I like a close lever, because I can't always trust the thumb for grip.
      Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

      Comment


        #4
        ParcNHawk opted for a HealTech QSE Quick Shifter Sensor to solve the need for even pulling the clutch...
        My pronouns are she/hers.

        To ride is to live.

        There, and back again. (photos from the epic journey)


        '88 Hawk GT (Rekka)
        '07 Shadow 600 (Gremlin)

        '90 Hawk GT (Fireball/red-tailed hawk) RIP

        Comment


          #5
          Originally Posted by Enigma T View Post
          ParcNHawk opted for a HealTech QSE Quick Shifter Sensor to solve the need for even pulling the clutch...
          Quick shifter you still need to clutch downshifts and stop/go.

          You also can/should upshift with no clutch, with or without a quick shifter, with just good throttle control.

          Beniifit of a quick shifter is WOT upshifts with no need to roll of for the shift, keeping rpm up and shifting "quick". Doesn't l reduce the number of clutch pulls. Awesome mod tho. Would love it on the racebike.
          Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally Posted by BillnOroville View Post
            I have arthritis in my hands. My VFR750 was the worst the Hawk is not bad but can be made better. My 2 Hawks have this modification. It just extends the arm about 5/16 to 3/8 of an inche. I have seen these advertised on ebay but it was years ago.

            clutch arm.jpg IMG_4244.jpg
            That looks like a great modification. I have searched eBay but the only ones seem to be for Yamaha yzf dirt bikes. I might see if I can make something to do the job. You haven't got a better photo of the arm have you

            Comment


              #7
              Originally Posted by Fastmongrel View Post

              That looks like a great modification. I have searched eBay but the only ones seem to be for Yamaha yzf dirt bikes. I might see if I can make something to do the job. You haven't got a better photo of the arm have you
              Here is a closeup of one I did on my 97 Magna. Same design and principle. The hard part is getting the rivet out of the swivel the cable goes into. I have reused the rivet or you can used small short bolt with locknut. Notice I have a lip hanging over so it rests against the original arm. This is to reduce twisting forces that might loosen the mounting bolt next to the swivel.

              IMG_6512.jpg IMG_6513.jpg
              Bill,
              88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally Posted by BillnOroville View Post

                Here is a closeup of one I did on my 97 Magna. Same design and principle. The hard part is getting the rivet out of the swivel the cable goes into. I have reused the rivet or you can used small short bolt with locknut. Notice I have a lip hanging over so it rests against the original arm. This is to reduce twisting forces that might loosen the mounting bolt next to the swivel.

                IMG_6512.jpg IMG_6513.jpg
                Heeeeyyyy.... I like this! Now if only someone could machine a betta looking one that would be great! *cough cough* This plus the geezer knees upgrade, and we could all ride into our 90's!!!!

                Comment


                  #9

                  I have a similar arthritic problem with my left wrist from an old injury... so I installed on of these: https://www.mooseracing.com/products...ctGroup/382213

                  Its been installed for about a year now and works great. Looks kinda weird (not bad) when installed on the bike coz it makes the clutch cable longer, but reduced my clutch pull squeeze pressure by about half. I would have been happy with any lighter clutch pull, but half the effort; ill take it! I can take pics of it on my bike if you are interested in seeing it. The clutch lever extension is an awesome idea also, btw.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I had seen those when looking for clutch levers, I didn't investigate any further when I saw they were for off road use only. A picture of it on your bike would be very interesting.

                    DrPMC has very kindly sent me a clutch arm extender which I haven't had a chance to fit yet. So far I have fitted thinner Renthal grips and some Chinese made adjustable dog leg levers to try out. With a wrist support I hope these little changes will ease the pain

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Did a 78mile ride last evening and I still had some pain but it was nothing like the last couple of rides. I woke up this morning with stiffness in my left wrist and thumb but still nothing like the last time when I could barely buckle up my trouser belt.

                      Still some way to go next thing I will try is alter the angle of the bars there seems to be a few degrees of movement available. The bars are pushed forward to the stops at the moment I will try all the way back next time.

                      Last night I tried to grip the tank more with my knees to take a bit of pressure off my hands. Still a work in progress I might investigate to see if there's anyway to improve the grip of my knees maybe some grippy rubber tape.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally Posted by Fastmongrel View Post
                        Did a 78mile ride last evening and I still had some pain but it was nothing like the last couple of rides. I woke up this morning with stiffness in my left wrist and thumb but still nothing like the last time when I could barely buckle up my trouser belt.

                        Still some way to go next thing I will try is alter the angle of the bars there seems to be a few degrees of movement available. The bars are pushed forward to the stops at the moment I will try all the way back next time.

                        Last night I tried to grip the tank more with my knees to take a bit of pressure off my hands. Still a work in progress I might investigate to see if there's anyway to improve the grip of my knees maybe some grippy rubber tape.
                        The hawk tank allows for very little let purchase. The best I've ridden as far as that goes is Chuck's with the Revere tank. Vast improvement afaiac.

                        Over gripping will be brutal on your hands, wrists and forearms. I try to ride with my hand just wrested in the grips, not actually gripping to hold on. Tis all about the core.

                        Also adjusting the throttle grip position so that your crusing throttle position is straight wrist, not tilted down. Start with an over grip (wrist pointed up) so crusing is straight. Same with the clutch, angle the lever so you can pull it with a straight wrist in normal crusing position.

                        There are a lot of tank grip pads available that can be trimmed. Foot position (balls of your feet on the pegs) also has a good bit to do with how much effort it takes to hold yourself on the bike.

                        (These may all be things you already do, but never know who reads this thread next so it never hurts repeating in a thread about these things.)
                        Last edited by 6; 04-14-2022, 10:03 AM.
                        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I found a roll of stretchy silicone tape in a DIY shop it's meant to stop kitchen equipment sliding about on work tops. I have wrapped a layer round the levers and a quick ride round the block it seems to work taking less effort to pull levers. Needs a proper ride but I am busy this weekend so it will have to wait.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            May or may not be a practical solution but I have seen some of the wheelie guys on supermoto bikes recommend the Righteous Stunt Clutch but I have not had the opportunity to try one out. My understanding is they have a bearing in the assembly and a slightly different angle of attack that makes clutch pull feel easier or something like that and it pretty much reduces clutch pull on those bikes to single finger pulling. https://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/

                            Definitely not a cheap solution though after looking at their website. They net around 145 USD or so.
                            Last edited by rpcraft; 04-15-2022, 09:44 AM.
                            88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                            89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                            90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
                              May or may not be a practical solution but I have seen some of the wheelie guys on supermoto bikes recommend the Righteous Stunt Clutch but I have not had the opportunity to try one out. My understanding is they have a bearing in the assembly and a slightly different angle of attack that makes clutch pull feel easier or something like that and it pretty much reduces clutch pull on those bikes to single finger pulling. https://www.righteousstuntmetal.com/

                              Definitely not a cheap solution though after looking at their website. They net around 145 USD or so.
                              Certainly look good but the price

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X