Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unfortunate Regrets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Unfortunate Regrets

    I purchased my 1990 Hawk last fall, put some money and work into it to get it road worthy, reliable, and moderately enjoyable to ride (it handles amazing, especially with the larger tires). But I need to move onto something a bit bigger, as the "50 HP" engine is just not enough for me to feel safe while riding on the freeway for my commute. I've posted it for sale, but have gotten literally no bites. It's the cheapest bike on CL, and FB marketplace with a title and in running condition. I really don't understand what is going on.

    Any ideas on what I can do to make this thing sell? Currently asking $2500, and already taking a huge loss at that price (which I was ok with the investment initially, so wasn't concerned about the cost) Anyone on the West Coast looking? lol

    #2
    Do you have any pics of the bike or a link to the ad? I'm not sure why it's not getting any interest, but we could take a look and see if anything may stand out.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally Posted by MrSpoo View Post
      I purchased my 1990 Hawk last fall, put some money and work into it to get it road worthy, reliable, and moderately enjoyable to ride (it handles amazing, especially with the larger tires). But I need to move onto something a bit bigger, as the "50 HP" engine is just not enough for me to feel safe while riding on the freeway for my commute. I've posted it for sale, but have gotten literally no bites. It's the cheapest bike on CL, and FB marketplace with a title and in running condition. I really don't understand what is going on.

      Any ideas on what I can do to make this thing sell? Currently asking $2500, and already taking a huge loss at that price (which I was ok with the investment initially, so wasn't concerned about the cost) Anyone on the West Coast looking? lol
      Maybe link the CL post in the For Sale off site section?

      Comment


        #4
        Here's a link to the post

        https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/d/re...474352219.html

        Comment


          #5
          That would sell here in 5 mins at the CAD equal Approx $3250.00 it would likely fetch $3500-4000.00

          Comment


            #6
            The ad looks good.

            If I where looking I would prefer some better pics. All the pics are kinda awkward angle shots. A dead on side shot of both sides, a close up of the paint on the tank and tail, the guage cluster, tires, chain and gearing, etc.

            You can NEVER have too many pics.

            if I where hawk shopping and saw that I would think it's hard to tell if the bike is nice or if somthing is being hidden in the pics.

            Other than that, looks good.
            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

            Comment


              #7
              I agree about the pics, the angles and the lighting are bad. More and better.

              I don't think that's keeping it from selling. The bike is nice and the price is good, but it is a niche bike. I just think you hit a weird lull.
              "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

              Comment


                #8
                I had my restored Hawk for sale for approx. 6 months with no results.
                Took the bike to a Classic Bike ride in and put a For Sale sign on it.
                Sold it in less than an hour for full asking price to a collector for his collection.
                YRMV
                GLWS
                Acta non verba


                '88 Blue 99% stock SOLD
                '88 Restomod
                '22 Yamaha Tracer 9 GT

                Comment


                  #9
                  If you were closer I would definitely take a look.
                  Not that I need another vehicle since I am trying to thin the herd because I will be moving within a year.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    How fast are the roads out there?

                    A stockish Hawk can top out at 120 MPH and get from 85-110 fast enough that only a sports car or modern regular car would give you trouble... if you were both racing.

                    I'd love it if you could keep your Hawk.

                    But underpowered is only really a problem if you're racing.

                    If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

                    The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Here's my original ad that's about to expire, it has more/different pics: https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/d/re...465617644.html

                      It does great to about 85, between 85 and 105 ish it takes a bit. The other day I was on my way home going around 85 up hill on the freeway and some lady decided she needed to be in my lane more than I did and I didn't have any more throttle to get out of her way. First time I was on a bike and felt that hopeless.

                      Don't get me wrong, in turns and around town it's one off the most fun motos I've ever owned, and if I had the money/space I'd just buy a second bike for commuting....but I can only have one so this is the predicament I'm in.

                      I'll look into some local bike nights with a for sale sign. I have a feeling when people see it in person (and hear it....it sounds amazing) it'll sell.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally Posted by ParcNHawk View Post
                        How fast are the roads out there?

                        A stockish Hawk can top out at 120 MPH and get from 85-110 fast enough that only a sports car or modern regular car would give you trouble... if you were both racing.

                        I'd love it if you could keep your Hawk.

                        But underpowered is only really a problem if you're racing.
                        I had the same thought but didn't say it. Hawk will outrun a mustang. I'm not sure how the power can be unsafe.
                        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally Posted by MrSpoo View Post
                          Here's my original ad that's about to expire, it has more/different pics: https://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/d/re...465617644.html

                          It does great to about 85, between 85 and 105 ish it takes a bit. The other day I was on my way home going around 85 up hill on the freeway and some lady decided she needed to be in my lane more than I did and I didn't have any more throttle to get out of her way. First time I was on a bike and felt that hopeless.

                          Don't get me wrong, in turns and around town it's one off the most fun motos I've ever owned, and if I had the money/space I'd just buy a second bike for commuting....but I can only have one so this is the predicament I'm in.

                          I'll look into some local bike nights with a for sale sign. I have a feeling when people see it in person (and hear it....it sounds amazing) it'll sell.
                          Something is wrong with your bike then. Going up a hill shouldn't be a problem. Going up a steep hill should be a concern ... for pulling an accidental wheelie.

                          If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

                          The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Lack of top end power due to Calif emissions?
                            When my bike was new, I commuted in So Cal traffic almost every day.
                            Never had an issue with a lack of power.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I dunno, it seems like it runs great. And it was gone through from a local shop that I know WW has a great report with. We are around 5500 ft in elevation so even fast stuff isn't as fast as it is at sea level.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X