Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First ride impressions of the Hawk and Thanks to all the members who helped here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First ride impressions of the Hawk and Thanks to all the members who helped here.

OK so we have our 88 Restomod about 85% tuned and riding. So far it is a pleasure to ride, it's down right fun. It's planted, stable, torquey, comfortable and not scary which is all the things I read and for a 17 yr old first rider super stoked about. Our fueling/jetting is off from 0-1/4 and at less than 1/2 cruising. It's just not exactly right and so on the weekend we'll be sorting it. It's likely all air screw adjustments and idle stop settings from the new jets and pods. We started the tuning with a baseline from the Jetting database and it's a lot closer than if I started from scratch. Thanks to all the folks here who helped so far. We'll keep chiming in as we progress! So right now it starts, idles, but has a slight hesitation until 1/4 then it hauls ass right up to redline. I've maxed it out at 90MPH on the freeway once and It had a little left with my 215 lbs on it and not tucked out of the wind so that seems close to right for the factory claimed 110MPH top speed and 90 is too fast for a 17 yr old with a probationary license anyway. it has a slight surge as you coast/cruise at 1/4-almost 1/2 throttle at speeds of 35-55MPH after that it's smooth. So close and loving this bike so far, I think it's going to be like the GL, never be sold barring dire straits LOL.

Originally Posted by Maritime View Post
    OK so we have our 88 Restomod about 85% tuned and riding. So far it is a pleasure to ride, it's down right fun. It's planted, stable, torquey, comfortable and not scary which is all the things I read and for a 17 yr old first rider super stoked about. Our fueling/jetting is off from 0-1/4 and at less than 1/2 cruising. It's just not exactly right and so on the weekend we'll be sorting it. It's likely all air screw adjustments and idle stop settings from the new jets and pods. We started the tuning with a baseline from the Jetting database and it's a lot closer than if I started from scratch. Thanks to all the folks here who helped so far. We'll keep chiming in as we progress! So right now it starts, idles, but has a slight hesitation until 1/4 then it hauls ass right up to redline. I've maxed it out at 90MPH on the freeway once and It had a little left with my 215 lbs on it and not tucked out of the wind so that seems close to right for the factory claimed 110MPH top speed and 90 is too fast for a 17 yr old with a probationary license anyway. it has a slight surge as you coast/cruise at 1/4-almost 1/2 throttle at speeds of 35-55MPH after that it's smooth. So close and loving this bike so far, I think it's going to be like the GL, never be sold barring dire straits LOL.
    For sure start with the air / fuel mix screw. I had the same issue with hesitation with below 1/4 throttle at cruising speed. Turned the air/fuel screw out by 1/2 turn (you may want to start with 1/4) and it immediately fixed issue.

Comment

Originally Posted by harpo View Post

For sure start with the air / fuel mix screw. I had the same issue with hesitation with below 1/4 throttle at cruising speed. Turned the air/fuel screw out by 1/2 turn (you may want to start with 1/4) and it immediately fixed issue.
      Yep, We're at like 500' above sea level and started based on BK94si having a very close setup and 300' elevation did 2.5 turns on each screw. 1/4 in or out and likely sort it.

Comment

There is a procedure in the FSL manual to set the screws. It's usually called an idle drop test.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Originally Posted by ParcNHawk View Post
          There is a procedure in the FSL manual to set the screws. It's usually called an idle drop test.
          read it last night and have done it many times. It's the worst on my 4 GL1000 carbs and the easiest on the CB125 single, hawk shouldn't be too bad.

Comment

I was just looking at that that adjustment a couple days ago and got a little confused:

First off, there is a different baseline between 88 and 89+. Is that because of a difference in the engine or the carbs? Because I think my carbs are a Frankenstein of the best parts from my 88 and 89 carbs (unless I'm mistaken).

INITIAL OPENING: 49 st, model

'88:
            2-1/8 turns out

After '88
            Front: 1-1/2 turns out
            Rear: 1 turn out

And then after the baseline is set:

4. Adjust the idle speed with the throttle stop screw
            Q: I'm guessing to 1200 +/- 100 RPM?

5. Turn each pilot screw 1/2 turn out from the initial setting.
            6. If the engine speed increases by 50 rpm or more, turn
            each pilot screw out by an additional 1/2 turn until engine
            speed drops by 50 rpm or less.
            Q. This part really confuses me. So let's say my idle is set to 1200. I turn both screws out (counter clockwise) by 1/2 turn. If it increases less than 50 RPM, I just stop? And if it does increase by 50 RPM, I keep turning it until it drops back to 1200 again?

7. Adjust the idle speed with the throttle stop screw.
            Q: After doing steps 5 and 6, shouldn't the idle be back to 1200?

8. Turn the rear cylinder carburetor pilot screw in until the
            engine speed drops 50 rpm.
            9. Turn the rear cylinder carburetor pilot screw 1 turn out
            from the position obtained in step 8.
            10. Adjust the idle speed with the throttle stop screw.
            11. Perform steps 8, 9 and 10 for the front cylinder carburetor
            pilot screw.
            12. Drive new pilot screw plugs into the pilot screw bores
            with a 7 mm valve guide driver (PIN 07942-8230000).
            When fully seated the plug surfaces will be recessed
            1 mm.
            Last edited by FFWD; 05-14-2022, 07:55 PM.
            My Hawk Build:
            https://www.hawkgtforum.com/forum/ho...832331-build-1

Comment

They don't say it but you find the point of highest idle with pilots then back off 1/4 and reset idle with knob. Rinse repeat for second carb. That should give best 0-1/4 response and running. So start at the base. Open screw by reccomended turns. Blip throttle, let it settle. Is rpm up, yes do if again, no stop back off 1/4.

Comment

We didnt get a chance yet to try it. Son over slept then had to work. Raining today.

Comment

So rain stopped, I went to ride the GL to work and the starter button is shot again. May need to buy a new RHS control. Anyway I stole the Hawk. It's more fun than the GL on the commute for sure. I took turns are much higher speeds than I would on the GL and it was solid. I still haven't done the fuel screws yet and will right when I get home tonight all warmed up from the ride home. My commute is 14 miles on a 50 MPH road. I was doing 70 and it felt slow. That being said I tried to open her up on a long straight to see what she could do and I couldn't get over 80 in 4th at WOT so may need to look at the jetting too.

Comment

OK so got home and adjusted the Pilots, well one so far, turned it out a half turn and it made things better but holy hell the Left side, sitting on the bike is not easy. Found Spa posted this:

"And if you're making adjustments on the bike you'll need a really short custom cut stubby to fit in between the frame and carbs"

so I need to go make that and see if I can get the other screw turned a bit. I know the reason is the carbs are not supposed to be tuned with the Pilots because they come factory set but Jeebus it ain't easy.

Comment

I have a different tool now but I have used just a screwdriver bit put into a socket (the kind with the hex end for putting in a screwdriver).
                      Brian - Richland, WA
                      1991 Hawk GT
                      1997 VFR

Comment

I went and made this. got a 1/2 turn on that screw. will need to ride it again to see if it's right now but I bet it will be,

Comment

So, my son took it to school today, Report by text. It runs awesome. Job done LOL. If only it didn't cost over $30 to fill it now, Jeebus gas sucks. I also fixed my GL, again. the start button was so worn it stopped making contact. I stretched the spriing under the plate and it works again for now but I think a new RHS control is needed. Glad they make repops for $45 vs the $145 OEM.

Comment

$30 to fill? Are you adding your own ethanol... in the form of Johnnie Walker blue label?

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Nope. Gas here is 2.17 L which is 8.21 Gal.

Comment

Working...
                              X