Reasons to use your petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons to use your petcock

I’ve gotten lazy about using my petcock. Thankfully I’d accidentally left the rear garage door open last night. When I went out to the garage this morning I found the fuel filter nipple had cracked and was in the process of emptying my tank on the floor. Stepping in puddles of gas to move the bikes outside also dissolved the soles of my shoes.
    Attached Files
    Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
    I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

ouch. That sucks man. Truck stink like gas? What bike let go, your main one?

Hopefully your day only gets better from here.
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Yeah, my main bike. I didn’t even dare to start the truck because the fumes were so strong.
      Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
      I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post
        Yeah, my main bike. I didn’t even dare to start the truck because the fumes were so strong.
        Taking the 2 up bike to work today

Comment

I haven't closed mine in years....
          Brian - Richland, WA
          1991 Hawk GT
          1997 VFR

Comment

had the same thing happen, woke up to the smell of gas in the house, (Garage is in the basement) and came down to the floor saturated with what was left of the fuel in the Hawk. The main fuel line shit the bed. It sat dry for 2+ years and looked ok, but after gas was in it again it split and failed. We swapped the lines all out but now we religiously turn the fuel off. Wife was not happy to have to air out the whole house.

Comment

Yep, been there, done that. I turn the valve to off after every ride now as a result.
              ASMA #139

Comment

Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
                I haven't closed mine in years....
                Me either. Have had bikes that don't even have them.

Comment

That's one scary pic!

Ever since getting mandatory ethanol-laced (crap) gas, I always turn off the petcock and run the carbs dry every time I come back from a ride,
                  I also put Stabil in with each fill up, just in case the bike will end up sitting for a while.

Comment

Working...
                  X