Tailight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailight

Converting my race bike back to street/ maybe occasional track day. I don’t have the stock rear bodywork or taillight. I’m wanting to go stock(ish) look with hopefully a Fabian rear solo cowl, no taillight cut if necessary. I haven’t seen any stock taillights anywhere so I’m assuming they are rare.
    Curious if there is anything else that people have used that is not too aftermarket/ hokey looking? I really want to stay with something that has an OEM look to it. Long shot maybe, but that’s where I’m at right now. I’ve been searching period bikes to see what might work with the angle that the Hawk rear mounts it at but haven’t really come up with much.
    I also ran across posts about the Grom taillight but that would have to be flipped to work with the rear cowl angle, so I’m not sure if that is optimal for how it is designed if it affects the viewed projection.
    Also, if I can’t find stock, I was hoping for a bit of a more modern look than the late ‘80’s, solid, opaque look.
    Just throwing some feelers out there to see if anybody else has been down this road.

after an irresponsible bitch in a bronco hit my hawk in the rear (1992) i had to come up with a taillight. i had some spare parts from my '86 yamaha radian so used a taillight from that, ez fit, good size, cheap and available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26541167745...AAAOSwtARhlpnc

Picture1-12-2020_151.jpg.1fd9bc5b3210f99a1d394c9b111e524b.jpg
    Last edited by squirrelman; 07-24-2022, 03:34 PM.
    "It's only getting worse."

MY rides: '97 VFR750, '90 Red Hawk, '88 Blue/Black Hawk, '86 RWB VFR700 (3), '86 Yamaha Radian, '90 VTR250, '89 VTR250 (2), '73 CB125, '66 Yamaha YL-1

Sold: '86 FJ1200, '92 ZX-7, '90 Radian, '73 CB750, '89 all-white Hawk, '88 blue Hawk, '86 FZ600, '86 Yam Fazer 700 , '89 VTR250, '87 VFR700F2, '86 VFR700F.

Comment

Stock taillight should not be too hard to find. I'd post up a wtb.

I know I had a few in a box up in pa that's now at Chuck's. Not saying those are for sale (they are probably not mine), But the amount of guys that like doing tail swaps leads me to believe I'm not the only one who has them kicking around.
      Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

[QUOTE=squirrelman;n962236]after an irresponsible bitch in a bronco hit my hawk in the rear (1992) i had to come up with a taillight. i had some spare parts from my '86 yamaha radian so used a taillight from that, ez fit, good size, cheap and available.

Funny, that’s actually one I saw that I thought “that might work, angle looks correct”

I’ll try a WTB for stock one too. I was assuming since nothing was coming up on ebay or any salvage sites that they might be hen’s teeth.

I’d still take input on anything more modern if someone has come up with something. Bright and attention getting is a goal in case this bike gets put to early morning commuter use. I have a couple of ideas that may work out as well since I hope to get a no taillight cut rear cowl. So still open to more ideas.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sloco;n962249]
          Originally Posted by squirrelman View Post

I’d still take input on anything more modern if someone has come up with something. Bright and attention getting is a goal in case this bike gets put to early morning commuter use. I have a couple of ideas that may work out as well since I hope to get a no taillight cut rear cowl. So still open to more ideas.
          I made a tail light for a cb350 cafe tail (ya, i know) out of red led strips from the internet (i don't remember if amazon was a thing back then.. ) because that tail had no provision for a light.

It worked better than you would think. One was tail light two where brake lights. That was in 2005/6 ish. It wasn't perfect, but I also wasn't a great fabricator back then by any means. . I bet the quality of LED has improved drastically since. May be fun looking into making something, depending what you are looking for. Just a thought.

Comment

These poking out of two holes might look good on the Hawk tail section.

taillight.jpg

Did something similar on a busted up 1000R tail section I'm using on a VTR250. I wanted something like the original dual round 1000R tail lights but a little smaller so I could tuck them a little higher.

resize_tail.jpg
            The license bracket is removable.
            "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

Captain 80s I agree, that would look really cool.. Looks pretty darn-sweet on that viffer tooo.

Comment

Working...
              X