Flock of Hawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flock of Hawks

A confession. Quit riding at age 86. Sold my last Hawk and anything related. Thought it was all over.

But it is difficult to look out and not see a Hawk in the carport. There is an itch that can not be scratched.

Now at 91 I have two 89 Hawks....one is mechanically solid with 35 thousand on the clock. The other is a beauty with 14 thousand . It's been in storage for 10 years plus. Pl;an to keep it as is.

Started out in 1939 with a used board bike, two speed and 12 HP........of the many bikes I have enjoyed the Hawk remains my emotional favorite..

Ancient Rider

At 91 if you can throw a leg over a bike, you are doing extremely well. You must be in amazing shape.

Comment

yeah, can still get on....but no longer riding

At 91 things are slowing down.

Comment

But still moving, great to hear you have the itch.

Comment

Well, at least you can touch and feel your history of appreciation and experiences they have given you. They can be a work of art and nice to gaze at so that's good too. I will be 74 so that time to hang up my helmet is coming closer. No sure what happens when I stop riding. Every time I sell a very nice one, I miss it. Now just have 1 left that I have had for 7 years. Maybe get a friend to ride one up to a favorite spot and you drive up in a car. Take a nice picture of you and the bike and get a large picture or posters size done to hang in your house or above the bike in the garage. Maybe the bike would like one of you two where it is parked.
          Bill,
          88 Blue Hawk (bike #39), 89 Red Hawk, 2021 Rebel 1100 (bike 41) Some Past/sold in reverse order:,FZ09,97 Magna #1&2 , 97 VFR750F, 87 VFR400R, 88 Hawk, 86 SRX 600, 77 RD400, 79 CB650, 04 VFR, 88 Blue Hawk, 89 Red Hawk, Yamaha SRX600, Harley 1200C, Yamaha RD400, Harley 883R, Yamaha 750 triple, Vlx600, Honda 450, Honda 400, CB550F, Kawasaki H1, BMW R69US, Yamaha R5C 350, Honda 160, Bridgestone 175, 1950 Harley 74 w/sidecar, 65 Harley 250 Sprint, 1948 Harley and my 1st bike-1941 Harley 74 knucklehead my dad gave in1963.

Comment

There’s no need to explain the passion about these bikes to anyone that’s here; we all have it. It’s a 30+ year old bike that even young kids fall in love with.
            Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
            I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

My son has the bug and so do I. We argue on who get's the Hawk when we both want to ride. It's his but sometimes I steal it before he get's out of bed. It's that fun. So I get it 100% and I hope to still be riding well into my 90's.

Comment

Al, glad to hear you are back into Hawks. Haven't seen you for a while. I'll have my '89 Hawk at the Oregon Vintage Motorcycle Show and Picnic at Oaks Park, Portland, Sunday, August 7.

Comment

Originally Posted by ancient rider View Post
                  A confession.
                  Started out in 1939 with a used board bike, two speed and 12 HP........of the many bikes I have enjoyed the Hawk remains my emotional favorite.
                  Gino
                  Chain Roller

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY

2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
                  2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
                  2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
                  LRRS HAWK GT Racer CCS Expert #929
                  ECK RACING

Comment

Massive respect sir.

Getting to 91 and still having passion for motorcycles, is something the rest of us should strive for.

Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

...but now you've posted one for sale on CL?
                      My pronouns are she/hers.

To ride is to live.

There, and back again. (photos from the epic journey)

'88 Hawk GT (Rekka)
                      '07 Shadow 600 (Gremlin)

'90 Hawk GT (Fireball/red-tailed hawk) RIP

Comment

Really only need one.....to look at .....not to ride

Comment

I hear you 1000%. You don't even have to necessarily look at it--you just have to know that it's there waiting for you....
                          Hawk with many differently shaped fuel tanks.

Comment

Originally Posted by Henway View Post
                            I hear you 1000%. You don't even have to necessarily look at it--you just have to know that it's there waiting for you....
                            The feeling of having a motorcycle, even if you never ride or see it, is better than not having one.

It's a thing..
                            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Working...
                            X