Funny thing happened on the way home….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny thing happened on the way home….

After fighting the effects of the ‘rona over the last two weeks, I was needing to get out of the house. Finally some cooler weather has (temporarily) rolled into the Piedmont of North Carolina, so I contacted a riding buddy for a little Hawk time. A beautiful 100-miler under my belt, I was (literally) a block from home when a woman pulled out in front of me. I caught her just behind the drivers side front wheel, hit the A-post with my helmet, clamored across the windshield and hood onto the pavement below. All happened in the blink of an eye. I know there are those that say twin discs on a Hawk are overkill, but I scruffed off a significant amount of speed prior to the impact. At almost 65 years of age, I’m not one to fly. Or should I say not one to “land”. Fortunately other than feeling like a twisted mess, I’m OK. My beautiful Hawk on the other hand - not so much. She basically split in two at the steering column as we loaded her on a friends trailer (I wasn't going to trust a tow service w/my pride and joy) I have another titled frame, but don’t know if I’m up to the task at this time. I’m sure I’ll have an upward battle w/insurance over a 33-year old bike. At least, (other than the balls and groin area) I’m OK at this point. Tomorrow is another day, we’ll see.

BTW, I was commended by a witness for wearing my armored gear on a warm day. I saw so many riders today in T shirts, shorts and flip flops. If I had been dressed that way, it may have been a much different outcome…

Ride safe my friends…

-tom
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    This forum is entirely dedicated to wasting time and money modifying a slow motorcycle. - joel

Nothing like a project to keep you busy, slowly draining funds out of the wallet! - spacetiger

Our Hawks have all the power any mature, sensible rider can use on any street or highway without carrying around excessively unnecessary big-bore weight and power - squirrelman

Bike builds can be and most time are art and expression. To take something mass produced and impersonal and make something personal that you can't stop staring at as you walk away. There is nothing I find more satisfying than looking at something cool and beautiful and thinking "I made that". - 6

Holy crap, Tom, so glad you're okay!
    Suzondacati Build Thread

Chain rollers, swing arm chain guides, brake hangers, etc.

Various parts for sale

Comment

,,,damnit Tom, you coulda been literally flying home from Chuck's instead...what a shitty alignment of circumstance!
      Let us know what you need/want. Hawk family has your back.
      Last edited by Enigma T; 08-01-2022, 07:58 AM.
      My pronouns are she/hers.

To ride is to live.

There, and back again. (photos from the epic journey)

'88 Hawk GT (Rekka)
      '07 Shadow 600 (Gremlin)

'90 Hawk GT (Fireball/red-tailed hawk) RIP

Comment

Such a pity about the bike but so good that you’re in one piece. Seeing the damage to the bike…

l always wince when I see someone semi naked on a bike. Well done for dressing appropriately.

Comment

Last pic off my girl as she was. So sad…
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          This forum is entirely dedicated to wasting time and money modifying a slow motorcycle. - joel

Nothing like a project to keep you busy, slowly draining funds out of the wallet! - spacetiger

Our Hawks have all the power any mature, sensible rider can use on any street or highway without carrying around excessively unnecessary big-bore weight and power - squirrelman

Bike builds can be and most time are art and expression. To take something mass produced and impersonal and make something personal that you can't stop staring at as you walk away. There is nothing I find more satisfying than looking at something cool and beautiful and thinking "I made that". - 6

Comment

Hey Tom! Glad it wasn't worse and that you survived with minimal injuries! The old Hawk will be back on the road in due time. But wow what an accident!
            Eric Y.
            NT663/VFR800/CBR600F4i
            Yuzon Designworks

Comment

Jesus christ!!! Glad you're ok dude.
              "I couldn't afford NOT to buy it!"

Comment

This news was not what I wanted to hear this morning. At least you are okay.

Comment

One of the best looking Hawks out there. Hopefully, you can buy it back from the insurance company (I'm sure they will total it) and reuse all those nice parts.
                  Brian - Richland, WA
                  1991 Hawk GT
                  1997 VFR

Comment

Tom, so sorry to hear, but glad you’re pretty much okay. Let me know if there’s anything from the stash you might need.
                    Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
                    I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Glad your OK,and that you had your riding gear on.Such a shame to such a great looking machine.

Comment

Glad to hear that you’re okay!
                        Bi-Coastal U.S.A.: Los Angeles, CA and Long Island, NY

Comment

Glad to hear that you are OK('ish?) and too bad about the bike - has a lot of nice stuff and lots of effort put into it. Maybe it can be replicated...

Comment

That sucks dude. I'm sure you are very disheartened.

Take some time, take a breath, and you can build it back..

Hope insurance has you covered at least.
                            Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

I was commended by a witness for wearing my armored gear on a warm day.
                              I really give it to you for having all the protection. Bikes can be easily fixed or replaced, your body parts... not so much. I was in an accident about a year ago, If I had proper boots and knee protection, I would not have broken bones that I still am trying to recover from. . So good to hear you are OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X