I almost bought another Hawk "non-running"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I almost bought another Hawk "non-running"

The ad said it was an intermittent runner, but currently had electrical woes. It was advertised for $1K and said 31K miles. The ad also said, it had a $1000 shock.

I go to check it out and ask the guy about the title, he says it’s in the mail and should be here in a few weeks. That’s a deal killer for me and I told him that. He asked, if I would give him an opinion on why it’s not starting since I’ve owned Hawks before. He tells me about a litany of things he’s done to address the electrical woes. After checking all the usual connections, I put the key and turn it on, I can hear the fuel pump working away (he jumped it) and hit the start button, I got the click of low battery and that was it.

Then it dawns on me, I shouldn’t have heard that fuel pump working as hard as it was. I turn the petcock to reserve and turn the key, the fuel pump starts to quiet down and slow. I tell the guy, I think you ran out of gas. Told him how to jump it with a car and left.

20 minutes later I get a text “It runs!! Lol I can’t believe it was that easy”

Long story short, I almost got a $1000 “non-running” hawk that only needed it’s fuel turned to reserve and a battery charge.

I should it add it actually had 51K miles.
    sears

What shock was it?
    Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

It was one of the Penske's that doesn't have a remote reservoir. Ride height seemed stock, so probably the one that isn't adjustable for ride height. And it was new. I reckon the bike is going to be back for sale, on craigslist, in about 2 weeks and twice the price. I should bill they guy, haha.
      sears

Comment

Originally Posted by halfast View Post
        It was one of the Penske's that doesn't have a remote reservoir. Ride height seemed stock, so probably the one that isn't adjustable for ride height. And it was new. I reckon the bike is going to be back for sale, on craigslist, in about 2 weeks and twice the price. I should bill they guy, haha.
        Or wait till the tile comes then go offer him the grand.. Hard to say no to the dude who got it running.
        Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Working...
        X