Ergonomic Shop Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ergonomic Shop Setup

I starting to get sick and tired of being destroyed after a long day in the shop/garage. My low back is about to blast out and im perpetually on edge, bracing for a muscle spasm to cripple me the next day. So i think im goin to start investing/investigating in comfort driven upgrades, ie a tool box thats a bench (not a small roll around stool) and a lift. I know that sometimes you just gotta round you back and crawl on the ground but doing it 80% of the time isnt a sustainable movement anymore. My question is, what are you guys using to help yourself out in the shop. Whether its a lift, bench, roller, whatever.

I constantly fight back issues. To help combat that I 'borrowed' (OK, stole) an idea from behindthetimes a while back. Instead of investing in a lift (and having to store it when not in use) I build this 'lift' from plywood w/a 2X2 frame. It rests on plastic milk crates and when not in use, it's on hinges and folds up against the wall like a 'Murphy' bed. Of course you'll need a ramp, but most of us already have one. I use a DeWalt folding work table to keep tools and parts in reach.

Not the best image, but you'll probably get the basic idea...

IMG_1818.jpg
    This forum is entirely dedicated to wasting time and money modifying a slow motorcycle. - joel

Nothing like a project to keep you busy, slowly draining funds out of the wallet! - spacetiger

Our Hawks have all the power any mature, sensible rider can use on any street or highway without carrying around excessively unnecessary big-bore weight and power - squirrelman

Bike builds can be and most time are art and expression. To take something mass produced and impersonal and make something personal that you can't stop staring at as you walk away. There is nothing I find more satisfying than looking at something cool and beautiful and thinking "I made that". - 6

Comment

I have a not great back, but my biggest issue is staying on my feat on a hard floor, kneeling in a hard floor, sitting on a hard floor, etc. a foam snap together floor. ITs a HUGE help with how long i can stay in the shop working. Benches are nice, but to me floors are the key to comfort.
      Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

I do like the idea of a fold up platform. I dont have much room to work. It would then be around chest height. And you dont have to pay out the ass for lift. As for foam mats, ++1 love em. Just takes one time kneeling on a nut to turn a good shop session upside down. I think there is no getting around a proper tool box. This thing is not for grown humans.206680-p3.jpg
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post
          I have a not great back, but my biggest issue is staying on my feat on a hard floor, kneeling in a hard floor, sitting on a hard floor, etc. a foam snap together floor. ITs a HUGE help with how long i can stay in the shop working. Benches are nice, but to me floors are the key to comfort.
          I first did the foam floor for a combination of comfort and insulation on the shed floor at the old house, but it really makes a difference on my knees and back. Now I have it on half the garage.
          Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
          I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post
            I first did the foam floor for a combination of comfort and insulation on the shed floor at the old house, but it really makes a difference on my knees and back. Now I have it on half the garage.
            Link?

This forum is entirely dedicated to wasting time and money modifying a slow motorcycle. - joel

Nothing like a project to keep you busy, slowly draining funds out of the wallet! - spacetiger

Our Hawks have all the power any mature, sensible rider can use on any street or highway without carrying around excessively unnecessary big-bore weight and power - squirrelman

Bike builds can be and most time are art and expression. To take something mass produced and impersonal and make something personal that you can't stop staring at as you walk away. There is nothing I find more satisfying than looking at something cool and beautiful and thinking "I made that". - 6

Comment

If you don’t have a lift don’t be dissapointed, I have a cart I keep near the bike that is for keeping tools on and parts and then I have a thick ergonomic Matt I bought off amazon or Walmart that is made for going in front of a sink. It is one of those thick cushion ones for reducing foot stress. I have a couple actually and throw one on each side of the bike. I also switch from Nike’s to Skechers that have the memory foam and that went a long way on extending working on the concrete floors. Obviously the more you can stand and reduce leaning the further that will go to help but not being in direct contact with concrete is a big bonus as well.
              88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
              89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
              90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

Originally Posted by flyinelvis View Post

Link?
                BalanceFrom Puzzle Exercise Mat... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IDRWPGI...p_mob_ap_share
                Flock of Hawks | '13 Tacoma | '69 Falcon (currently getting reassembled!)
                I've spent most of my money on women, beer, cars and motorcycles. The rest of it I just wasted.

Comment

Another area of comfort assist are the eyes. I purchased this which works wonders on the small stuff. Jets, screws etc.. The light alone helps a lot. The magnifying glass is the icing. (Link to the below product: https://a.co/d/eJ4ABmP )

Screenshot 2022-09-27 070836.png

​​Magnetic bowls also help to keep from stooping down to pick up screws and metal parts.
                  Last edited by Tusk; 09-27-2022, 07:42 AM.
                  Mark
                  88 HawkGT (original owner)
                  99 Concours
                  02 VFR800

Comment

Originally Posted by 69Falcon View Post

That's where I got the idea to do the Litchfield Township Floor, from you. Since then it's an absolute nessesity in may shop I'm working out of for any length of time.

Comment

Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
                      ]

​​Magnetic bowls also help to keep from stooping down to pick up screws and metal parts.
                      Yup, comfort and sanity.

I just Facebook Marketplace'd myself a large rolling tool cart. I don't have a shop that can fit a car so I'm doing the injectors on the 4 runner in the driveway. Being able to haul all the tools out and back at once, as well as have a work surface is key, but the magnetic trays are possibly the biggest benefit to that. No more picking bolts up off the ground or finding them wherever they bounced to on the engine bay.. bug help. Have 4 magnetic trays and usually am utilizing at least two on any job.

Comment

Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
                        Another area of comfort assist are the eyes. I purchased this which works wonders on the small stuff. Jets, screws etc.. The light alone helps a lot. The magnifying glass is the icing. (Link to the below product: https://a.co/d/eJ4ABmP )

Screenshot 2022-09-27 070836.png

I just added the same thing to my Lathe bench. It's an old style but I swapped it to a brigher LED bulb and loving it.
                        88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction but rideable (guest approved)
                        89 BlackHawk 2.0 - On the lift and being assembled
                        90 Hawk GT (color as to yet be determined) - Still on the shelf in crates

Comment

Lights im good. I just put up 4 harbor freight LED lights. best upgrade yet, its amazing how much the ability to see what youre working on helps. As for the magnifiying glass thats good stuff, i have one of those with a bunch of adjustable arms for soldering work.
                          01_a850aca2-bc9b-443e-be1f-755da0f55459_large.webp

Comment

Working...
                          X