Spring 2020 Spindle Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Gweenz View Post
    The new interceptor uses the same spindle through a bearing carrier arrangement as both the hawk and older VFRs, so it may be possible to adapt either the spindle or carrier to the Hawk swingarm. Or, adapt the whole new swingarm to the Hawk. I just don't think anyone has tried it yet or has the parts hanging around to take measurements. I'm guessing though that the 2014+ wheel might not clear the Hawk swingarm without modification or going down a tire size.
    5 lug rotor mounting too...someone (not me) should try it!

WW/R
    Life is a journey, not a destination.

Comment

The bearing carrier has the same part number as the 1998 - 2001 VFR: 42500-MBG-000

Hawk, Gen3 (90-93) and Gen4 (94-97) VFRs all use the same carrier: 42500-MN8-000

I'm sure someone on here knows the exact difference between the two.
      Last edited by Gweenz; 06-21-2020, 11:36 AM.
      88 Hawk GT

Talk big. Think small. Do nothing.

Comment

The bearing carrier has the same part number as the 1998 - 2001 VFR: 42500-MBG-000

Hawk, Gen3 (90-93) and Gen4 (94-97) VFRs all use the same carrier: 42500-MN8-000

I'm sure someone on here knows the exact difference between the two.
        We're hijacking a vendor thread, but that's fine with me.

There's more to consider than that. The rotor offset, reluctor(?) ring for ABS, diameter, etc. means you would need a different brake hanger. Possibly you could adapt the 14+ pieces, possibly not. Someone will have to pioneer this and I suspect the CB1000R parts might be similar but I'm not certain. It is also a 6" wheel, is it not? In my opinion anything over 5.5 on the NT650 is a mistake, and ideally 5-5.25" is perfect.

WW/R

Comment

Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post

We're hijacking a vendor thread, but that's fine with me.

There's more to consider than that. The rotor offset, reluctor(?) ring for ABS, diameter, etc. means you would need a different brake hanger. Possibly you could adapt the 14+ pieces, possibly not. Someone will have to pioneer this and I suspect the CB1000R parts might be similar but I'm not certain. It is also a 6" wheel, is it not? In my opinion anything over 5.5 on the NT650 is a mistake, and ideally 5-5.25" is perfect.

WW/R
          Whoops sorry about the threadjack. Definitely a ton of work to get it to fit. Probably "easiest" to just adapt the whole thing, swingarm and all.
          88 Hawk GT

Talk big. Think small. Do nothing.

Comment

Whoops sorry about the threadjack. Definitely a ton of work to get it to fit. Probably "easiest" to just adapt the whole thing, swingarm and all.
            Or just buy the whole bike, and ride that bike while you modify the Hawk more!

WW/R

Comment

Wrapping up 2 now...well, in an hour from now or so.

Small window next weekend. I have one complete Ducati modded spindle I can offer on exchange at the moment.

WW/R

Comment

message sent!

Comment

Bill, just wanted to thank you for the ducati mod'd spindle I ordered back in June! Installation went smoothly, and the quality of your machining work is top notch... so nice that I almost felt bad about putting it on my well worn hawk. Looking forward to seeing how it'll feel at the next track day, with nearly 2 lb less unsprung weight, and the 180 bridgestone.
                  Alfred

20200726_152032a.jpg
                  http://sites.google.com/site/alfredjweb/hawk-gt

Comment

Originally Posted by alfredosauce View Post
                    Bill, just wanted to thank you for the ducati mod'd spindle I ordered back in June! Installation went smoothly, and the quality of your machining work is top notch... so nice that I almost felt bad about putting it on my well worn hawk. Looking forward to seeing how it'll feel at the next track day, with nearly 2 lb less unsprung weight, and the 180 bridgestone.
                    Alfred

20200726_152032a.jpg
                    Thank you for the kind words. Bike looks great!

WW

Comment

To add some more options for thoughts. A triumph 1050 axle will fit the Hawk/VFR eccentric. Need to machine new threads, add a wheel spacer, and make longer drive pins to compensate for the spacer. Did this for my VFR750 track bike to fit an 848 rear wheel. Used all triumph parts, but think the VFR parts swapped too. Wanted to swap the whole swingarm, but it was 10lbs heavier than the VFR.

Comment

Originally Posted by Yoshihns View Post
                        To add some more options for thoughts. A triumph 1050 axle will fit the Hawk/VFR eccentric. Need to machine new threads, add a wheel spacer, and make longer drive pins to compensate for the spacer. Did this for my VFR750 track bike to fit an 848 rear wheel. Used all triumph parts, but think the VFR parts swapped too. Wanted to swap the whole swingarm, but it was 10lbs heavier than the VFR.
                        thank you for sharing. There are a lot of options for these style of modifications. Yours is not one I offer or am interested in offering at this time.

Regards

WW/R

Comment

This may have been answered elsewhere, but I’ve got a friend in japan looking for an NC35 rear wheel for me. I already have a 94-97 vfr wheel setup I can use if I sent my unmodded spindle off, but I’m not a fan of the looks of that wheel.

Is it possible to drill the holes for the 400 wheel pcd, and let me press drive pins into those holes once I acquire a wheel? Using it with the hawk wheel in the meantime? Wish I had another spindle so I could leave one standard, but I quite like the look of the RVF400 rim. Would match my VFR800 w/ 8 spoke. Don’t want to miss out if this offer isn’t gonna be around forever. I have 3 rear rims and don’t want to make them useless.

Comment

Originally Posted by rpm10k View Post
                            This may have been answered elsewhere, but I’ve got a friend in japan looking for an NC35 rear wheel for me. I already have a 94-97 vfr wheel setup I can use if I sent my unmodded spindle off, but I’m not a fan of the looks of that wheel.

Is it possible to drill the holes for the 400 wheel pcd, and let me press drive pins into those holes once I acquire a wheel? Using it with the hawk wheel in the meantime? Wish I had another spindle so I could leave one standard, but I quite like the look of the RVF400 rim. Would match my VFR800 w/ 8 spoke. Don’t want to miss out if this offer isn’t gonna be around forever. I have 3 rear rims and don’t want to make them useless.
                            Yes. The way I now do the 85mm PCD mod is to drill and ream 8 new holes rotated from the original holes. This allows rotor and RVF400 wheel (for example to be used) and also to revert back to stock Hawk wheel (100mm PCD). In both cases the stock NT650 brake rotor pattern is retained.

WW/R

Comment

Reminder again - please put a note inside your package telling me what mods you want, your name/address, and contact information.

I have two spindles that arrived, neither have notes for modifications inside. I kind of feel like making table lamps out of these...and sending them to Spa.

Comment

Cool. I haven’t had the time to swap my vfr setup on so I can box up the stocker but hope I will this weekend.

Wish I had another spare spindle for a ducati modded one. Did ducati ever do a 5” rim? If anyone reading this has one for sale...

Comment

Working...
                                X