Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

March 2018 nominations - dirtbikes and dual sport bikes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
    I've seen Ken's Transalp. A complete POS...
    No Doubt, having seen other stuff he's touched...

Comment

Originally Posted by k-os View Post

Ken's post was "Unapproved" for some reason. I fixed that.

Rob, it looks like the image links in your post are messed up. Care to fix them?
      Looks like the photo uploader was referencing files locally. Let me know if it's not working. Probably why it was giving me fits earlier. I started adding a couple of photos and the IMG stream was going off the page to a point where I could click on the post reply buttong.
      88 Blue Hawk GT - Under construction
      89 Red Hawk GT - Still on the shelf and in crates
      2000 DR650 (Thumper)

2002 DL1000 V-Strom

Comment

hmmm, which one of my dirty bikes should I enter...

in chronological order

got the bike...

took apart...

put it back together....

rode it to some epic places....

broke it,

fixing again

http://www.facebook.com/VaporBlast

Comment

Still have my 2004 CRF250X Street Legal park rooster, as posted originally in April 2016 BOTM:

IMG_6037_zpssapa00wh.jpg
          IMG_6036_zpsuw06c4ux.jpg

Now has an Acewell Gauge, Trailtech fan, shaved seat, and a few more scratches. I also bought a rotopax tail pack, but have not gone on a long enough trip to use it.

Comment

Originally Posted by riot View Post
            Still have my 2004 CRF250X Street Legal park rooster, as posted originally in April 2016 BOTM:

IMG_6037_zpssapa00wh.jpg
            IMG_6036_zpsuw06c4ux.jpg

Now has an Acewell Gauge, Trailtech fan, shaved seat, and a few more scratches. I also bought a rotopax tail pack, but have not gone on a long enough trip to use it.
            Ewww.,.... Take the license plate off that thing and get it warmed up for me ; )
            Respectfully 6

Originally Posted by ParcNHawk
            Aren't they sometimes named after people who've had spectacular crashes there? Don't worry, dude; almost every track has a "turn 6."

Comment

Originally Posted by 6 View Post

Ewww.,.... Take the license plate off that thing and get it warmed up for me ; )
              You don't wanna ride that boring old thing. It is good enough for my newb-is MX skills (and way better on the MX track than any other Dual Sport you might get), but it is just practical - not thrilling.

We'll see if I can't get that SXV restoration done before you show up. 10 min on an SXV is better than a threesome! You have to promise not to wad it though - which is actually a pretty tall ask

Comment

You don't wanna ride that boring old thing. It is good enough for my newb-is MX skills (and way better on the MX track than any other Dual Sport you might get), but it is just practical - not thrilling.

We'll see if I can't get that SXV restoration done before you show up. 10 min on an SXV is better than a threesome! You have to promise not to wad it though - which is actually a pretty tall ask
                Phuk SXV! That hand grenade is too fragile to properly enjoy it... All the big boys ride ORANGE bikes My filthy tired old two-fiddy will pull 3d gear wheelie like nothing, I'd imagine 300 might loft it in 4th (NO CLUTCH!) Rode some old 525 and that thing was even more nuts, power delivery of 250 smoker and low end of a proper 4T thumper, could not stop giggling, finally gave it back before it blew up or I got arrested.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apes, but only Rotax powered ones

Comment

Originally Posted by k-os View Post

Ken's post was "Unapproved" for some reason. I fixed that.

Rob, it looks like the image links in your post are messed up. Care to fix them?
                  Thanks k-os!!! Thought it had disappeared on the World Wide Web

Comment

Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
                    I've seen Ken's Transalp. A complete POS...he rides it like it's on rails and stays in the pack regardless of how much HP he's chasing. It's insane quite frankly.

WW

IMG_3652.JPG
                    LOL - thanks Bill...

BTW picture credits go to Bill and Dale- those guys take the best pics!
                    Last edited by socalrc31; 03-02-2018, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post

Phuk SXV! That hand grenade is too fragile to properly enjoy it... All the big boys ride ORANGE bikes My filthy tired old two-fiddy will pull 3d gear wheelie like nothing, I'd imagine 300 might loft it in 4th (NO CLUTCH!) Rode some old 525 and that thing was even more nuts, power delivery of 250 smoker and low end of a proper 4T thumper, could not stop giggling, finally gave it back before it blew up or I got arrested.

Don't get me wrong, I love Apes, but only Rotax powered ones
                      I dunno, I think the SXV has a bad rep from initial build quality. They have sorted out the majority issues buy now, and they're getting pretty cheap. Rotax Priller's are OK, if you wanna put 30k miles on a sportbike. You only ride an XV for 20min at a time, because that is all your butt can take.

Modern KTMs are the hotness no doubt (especially the blue ones), but I could buy 4 of those CRFs for the price of the FE501 (my dream). I'm just not good enough to need one now.

Comment

I dunno, I think the SXV has a bad rep from initial build quality. They have sorted out the majority issues buy now, and they're getting pretty cheap. Rotax Priller's are OK, if you wanna put 30k miles on a sportbike. You only ride an XV for 20min at a time, because that is all your butt can take.

Modern KTMs are the hotness no doubt (especially the blue ones), but I could buy 4 of those CRFs for the price of the FE501 (my dream). I'm just not good enough to need one now.
                        SXV engine rebuild intervals are 10,000km or 6,200 miles, they usually grenade long before that.... sure they fixed some problems, but still they just don't last and cost of rebuilding a 4T is much higher than 2T

Comment

Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post

SXV engine rebuild intervals are 10,000km or 6,200 miles, they usually grenade long before that.... sure they fixed some problems, but still they just don't last and cost of rebuilding a 4T is much higher than 2T
                          Yer tellin' me. I have 2 of them But it takes years to get to 6200 miles 100 miles at a time.

Still let's just say you wanted to take a 1989 RS250 fitted with a cruiser engine, and modify it to compete with a stock Aprilia SXV. You're gettin into super pricey grenade territory now. And that's even without considering putting jumps in the mix!

Comment

I dunno, I think the SXV has a bad rep from initial build quality. They have sorted out the majority issues buy now, and they're getting pretty cheap.
                            I've noticed the prices are actually going UP as people realize they were just put together wrong from the factory and that with a PROPER rebuild AND setup, some have made it to over 20,0000 miles with only valve adjustments. Yes, MILES. Noland is to XV's like Hord is to Hawks.

Comment

81 Elsinore 450,down in the basement. Will trade for a pallet of imitation crab meat and lap dance.

I guess my Zero counts as a dual sport too? I was hoping something with no vibration would let me ride some but not really. I'll take Olive Garden gift cards for it. Mmmm $7000 of doughy breadsticks and limp salad.

Comment

Supermini 16 CRF150RB. Purchased Used/Stock.

List of Parts;
                                New Plastics W 17 Graphic
                                OEM Wheels & Hubs Rebuilt w Gloss BLK PC
                                Yoshimura Full Exhaust
                                Dunlop MX32ís
                                DID Gold Chain
                                JD Jet Kit
                                TMD Skidplate
                                Force Radiator Guards BLK ANO
                                Tokyo Mods Engine Block Off/ Vent Kit
                                Motoseat
                                Footpegs, Kickstarter Lever Gloss BLK PC
                                Renthal Bar Pad
                                Forged Levers
                                DID Sprockets Front/Rear

BEFORE

TEARDOWN

AFTER

Last edited by Petree Dish; 03-18-2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X