Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sept/Oct HOTM = High Mileage Hawks

Who has the highest mileage Hawk?

Who knows how to keep a machine running and looking good for the long haul?

Who has an iron butt and short (or at least cramp free) enough legs to pile on the miles?

Inquiring minds want to know!

If you survived tens or even hundreds of thousands of miles of wind buffeting and wishing for a 6th gear, you might as well enter below and be recognized for your commitment!

Rules:
    • The bike must run and drive.
    • You must be able to take credit for at least 3000 of those miles
    • You must still own the Hawk in question

Drop you nominations below. Remember photography wins!
    Entries will close Oct 4th (or as soon as I get round to it after that)

Great idea! Looking forward to the entrants
    Bi-Coastal U.S.A.: Los Angeles, CA and Long Island, NY

Comment

What about TMU hawks? may they be estimated?

Good idea here.

Can i enter my old van or my current dually?
      Don't spend money and buy, spend time and learn.

Comment

Ok. This month I would again like to enter the Daisy Hawk... (I'ma keep doing it till it wins something).

She shows 20,652 on the clocks. Impressed? I figured you would be.

Now, although we are unsure what hawk originally did those 20k, I'm very certain that if you where to add up the miles from all the bikes that contributed their parts to this hawk its true mileage is over a million.

In the last three years ALONE we have put between 15 to 20 miles a year on it!!! Racking those bad boys up!! Plus ALL of those miles where done on top of this hill. Yes sir they where. So those are all "High" miles. Every last one. 2k ft altitude at least!

But wait, there's more!

Before we moved here and before the bike needed a tank swap, thus repaint, it was used as a commuter. During that time we lived seacoast NH, where although at sea level, I was traveling exclusively at high speed!! (That has to count....)
        ​​​​​
        So this beautiful little 20k mile Hawk (that's had more hours put into bodywork than riding in the last few years) has done exclusively high miles for the last half decade or so.

Yes, yes she has folks.

So with that I would like to submit her for the high miles HOTM.

She is a ground up Piston Pit South build with some tasteful mods and is borrowing a Penske from the race bike atm.

Edit: riot
        ​I keep trying to upload pics and am not having much luck. I don't know if it's my phone or this thread or what.
        Last edited by 6; 09-30-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Mine has 32k on it.
          Put on when I was using it to commute daily when the bike was new.
          But it's not running right now, carbs are off.

Comment

My guess is that the highest mileage Hawks are in the SouthWest where they are ridden year-round ... not just five or six months like NorthernEastern Hawks, weather permitting.
            I recall Tom (Hackitup) had more than 100,000 miles as discovered at a WCHR a few years back.
            Bi-Coastal U.S.A.: Los Angeles, CA and Long Island, NY

Comment

Really guys? No one can beat 20,000 miles here??

Comment

I have to check the vapor and add the miles to the stock speedo. My Hawk crossed the continent, so it's go some miles. Not 100k, though.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

41,116 on Rekka, which I got at 12,223 in Sep 2017... but who's counting?
                  Last edited by Enigma T; 09-13-2021, 12:53 PM. Reason: looked at wrong spreadsheet tab
                  My pronouns are she/hers.

To ride is to live.

There, and back again. (photos from the epic journey)

'88 Hawk GT (Rekka)
                  '07 Shadow 600 (Gremlin)

'90 Hawk GT (Fireball/red-tailed hawk) RIP

Comment

I've got about 56k on mine (on 2 speedometers). I bought in 1992 with about 3k on it.
                    Brian - Richland, WA
                    1991 Hawk GT
                    1997 VFR

Comment

I got a total of 60k between the original speedo and the vapor. And if the deadline is October 4th, there will probably be another 1k on there, if not more. So: yes to still owned and still running.

This is the Hawk that I rode across America (and into Canada) and back.

If my first Hawk weren't killed in action, it would have had well over 100k. It died with 70+.

If you were looking for a support group you're barking up the wrong tree. This place is fulla enablers dude. - Shooter77us

The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the thrill of a low price has gone. - RacerX450

Comment

Ok team,

I'm not sure you're getting the whole HOTM thing going on here:

We need pictures of the bike!

It's not all about mileage, impress us with your fastidious maintenance! Or alternatively, show us some sweet battle scars!

Comment

Mine has about 78000 i think. I'll check when i get home, i didn't ride it to work today

Comment

how about lowest miles?

Comment

My apologies. I was way off with the 78000. It's 72969. My daily rider to work. Up and down Mt Tambourine most weekends too. But I'm starting to get scared riding it at any kind of speed. The longer it goes without something breaking, the closer I get to something breaking. I'm about to strip it down and give it a freshen up

** edit ** oh I'm an idiot I've just realised you're all talking miles and I'm talking kilometres.
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 2 photos.
                              Last edited by ggdav; 09-28-2021, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X