916/996 bodywork on a hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

916/996 bodywork on a hawk?

now, im most likely NOT going to do this.. but i stumbled across some repo fairings....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ducat...QQcmdZViewItem

and well... i like the naked look on the sides, and i like all this cool streetfighter parts... but that thin eyed 996 nose is kinda sexy... and i do kinda want a fairing for wind protection, even if i wont admit that out loud, and its never stopped me from a long ride.

Like-a zeez, perhaps?

http://www.meccanicacorse.net/galler...MOJUL3106_1071
    J.D. Hord
    Keeper of Engine Nomenclature, 9th Order

Comment

The 916 bodywork actually fits very well. I have used it on 2 seperate hawks. The first time I only used a early version of a race upper (it was pretty short) and on the second bike I mounted full sharkskinz which is a race upper and AMA legal lower with the split at the mid-line. It looks really good as the proportions are very similar, (the 916 is a very narrow bike like the hawk). It doesn't offer super wind protection as its prettly low but the newer upper designed by sharkskinz offer more wind protection as it extends lower. Also if you desire more chest/head protection you can always get a taller windscreen. All pics are from my predigital days but I can dig them out and scan them and or take more pics if you would like. The nice thing about crashing alot of hawks is that you can experiment with lots and lots of bodywork. I have used NSR250, RC30, RC45, RS250 (both honda and Aprilia), R1 (sharkskinz for hawk), 916, Aprilia Mille, and some TZ250 stuff. The key is to choose from bikes that are small and narrow (that means twins) because narrowing the bodywork is a pain and then the stock windscreens end up being too wide. -C
      Faster than your mother... She's what the pros use.

Comment

cool..

now, ive noticed alot of the race fairings are just two pieces... the upper fairings and nose are one piece, and the bottom is another.

is there a reason they keep the sides connected to the nose?

whats the common way to mount them anyway? anyone have pictures?

Comment

Lower production costs. Also on a race bike its faster to simply unbutton the pan then pull off the upper. In the old days uppers, mids, and seperat lowers were the norm as in oem panels. With the AMA and its fluid retention rules it makes sense to make bodywork in the upper/lower style.
          Faster than your mother... She's what the pros use.

Comment

Working...
          X