Newbie: Looking at new front ends...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie: Looking at new front ends...

So, I see alot of you are putting new forks and stuff on the front end... F2's and F3's. Is this a pretty easy transition? Any retro fitting? What all's involved?

Thanks guys...
    1989 Hawk Gt Red(now project BlackHawk)
    1999 CBR900RR
    1996 XR400
    2002 Corvette

Ok, just read the sticky and the FAQ's...
    1999 CBR900RR
    1996 XR400
    2002 Corvette

Comment

That's a CRAZY BIG avatar

Comment

Yeah could we maybe make that smaller?
        BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
        Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
        "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Doc, How are we supposed to concentrate on posting with your avatar constantly distracting us!

Comment

Re: Newbie: Looking at new front ends...

Originally Posted by Choadtx
            So, I see alot of you are putting new forks and stuff on the front end... F2's and F3's. Is this a pretty easy transition? Any retro fitting? What all's involved?

Thanks guys...
            My opening note: If you want to go with a different front end because you feel the need for better brakes and feel that twin calipers and rotors are better you are on the right path as long as your front tire is up to the better brakes. Your brakes are only as good as the tire! So run good rubber front and rear!

It depends on what you want to do and why.

If you want better handling for your bike you can start with the stock fork being that in its day a 41mm fork was way big and stiff. So if you want to improve the ride you could go with RaceTech Gold Valves Emulators, correct springs for your weight and correct oil and new seals and bushing and you will have a better handling bike and still the stock Hawk look.

With the stock fork you can add different clip-ons if you want a lower riding position and you could use Honda items such CBR600f2/f3 items which will lower your riding position or you can go with aftermarket items Pro-Flo, Vortex etc for the same ride position but the custom look.

Still keeping in the stock look you can improve the feel of the stock brake by installing a stainless steel brake line and new brake pads such as the EBC-double-H.

When you decide to lower your bar position you will need to make sure that the new bars do not hit the tank unless you like dents in your tank. This is a big issue mainly if your bike gets bumped in a parking lot or you drop it since these tend to be the most common bar hits tank issue when you change your bar position and forgot about the steering stops.

On to other forks:
            The most common conversion seems to be the CBR600F2 because if you find a complete fork assembly with brake calipers, master cylinder and f2 front wheel this is plug and play type setup. You slide your old forks out and slide the cbr f2 forks in place hook up your speedometer drive and you are more or less ready to ride.

The F3 fork is better and more or less is a bolt-on but I think the f3 front wheel is not setup with a speedometer drive so you need to figure that one out.

VFR750 forks will also allow you the use of twin calipers and sorry am not sure about the speedo drive on their front wheel but again this should slide right into stock Hawk triple clamps.

The set-up that I like the most is not common in the USA so you will have some problems finding the parts but it uses the forks from a NSR250mc21 and a CBR600F2 or other Honda wheel that allows the use of a speedometer drive at the front wheel. With the NSR250 forks you will need to change springs and while you are at it why not do a racetech conversion. The plus to the NSR250 fork is it is designed to mount your clip-ons under the upper triple clamps only which many on this site appear to do with their F2/F3 conversions but with the NSR forks the fork tubes do not stick out above the upper triple being that they were designed for the clip-ons to be mounted between the triples. The other plus is that the NSR250 comes with twin 4-piston calipers that mount straight to the fork unlike the stock Hawk and CBRf2/f3 two piston floaters. Another plus is the stock Hawk fender bolts right up to the NSR fork as does the CB-1 fender and the stock NSR fender looks better than both.
            With a CBR600f2 wheel you will have a speedometer drive at the hub.

Still sticking with Honda items you can find a CB-1 right fork leg with brakes, use a cbr600f2 wheel, and find another Hawk rotor so they look the same and you will have an easy upgrade to twin disk. Again with any of these fork conversions it is advised if you want the most out of your new front end to replace the springs, racetech valves, install new seals, bushing and oil. If the racetech gold valves are not in your budget at lease replace the seals, oil and install a correct spring for your weight.

If you go with a 41mm Honda fork you will be able to keep your stock triple clamps, headlight, gauge cluster, fuse box and everything else in their stock locations. It will make your life easier not having to deal with "how do I mount this stuff" to a R6 fork.

I could keep going!

Below are images of the CBR600F2 fork and the NSR250 fork on my other ride just so you can see how the forks might be differnt but both forks would slide right into the stock Hawk triples for a bolt and play set-up other than changing some control cables that might now to long.

NSR Forks CBR600f2 wheel on my other bike
            http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9.../rsideview.jpg
            http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...amenomotor.jpg
            http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/tkm433/RZ.jpg
            Clean look with no fork tubes sticking above triple clamps
            http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b91/tkm433/tach3.jpg

Complete F2 front end on my other bike with clip-ons below upper triples. That does not look good to me thus the NSR fork.
            http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...3/rz111111.jpg

I have a plan in the works that would allow the NSR look as far as no fork tubes above the upper triple but would allow easy to get USA parts source to do the conversion so that I can use the stock lower hawk fork legs to allow the use of the stock wheel to keep the hawk more looking like a hawk.

Here is my new front disk for my Hawk. It even weights less than the stock disk.
            http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...ondonDisc2.jpg

Comment

Awesome advice up there.^^^
              BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
              Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
              "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Could try this:-
                http://www.hawkworks.net/tips/F3forks/F3forks.html

and add these:-

http://www.hawkworks.net/listerpix/steve_lenac/
                "Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
                • Ohlins Rear Shock
                • F2 front wheel
                • VFR750 rear wheel
                • Hiperform seat&headers
                • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
                • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

Cool guys, thanks for the advice... I will look into it...

PS, got the avatar fixed... Sorry, I'm an idiot...
                  1999 CBR900RR
                  1996 XR400
                  2002 Corvette

Comment

Working...
                  X