best bang for the buck on a rear shock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best bang for the buck on a rear shock

i just did the f2 conversion on the front end of my hawk which i have had for less than a year now, and i want to make a good decision about the rear shock in terms of the best bang for the buck.

the bike is going to see 95% street duty, but the 3 or 4 times a year i hit a track day, i would like to see a pretty good improvement in terms of suspension.

choices seem at this point to be:

a used fox twin clicker ($300 - 500) - on and off e-bay all the time
    a new progressive - what i have seen calls for reusing the original spring but on a 20 year old bike that seems like a bad idea to me (is it a bad idea?) ...($400 - 500 with new spring if progressive has one for me)
    penske ($600 - $700)
    ohlins ($750)
    leaving the existing shock in place?

thoughts?

thanks
    '88 hawk with sporty mods
    '76 bmw r90 with sporty mods
    '71 honda cb 350 racebike

you got it in the right order has far as i understand it. from worst to best but you did forget one the 900 shock and hawk spring can be done for about 60 and belong on the top of your list

this is a parfect example of "you get what you pay for"
    1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

bang for the buck

is the progressive even worth doing or is it best just to save my money and jump into a penske?

thanks,

Comment

Having owned a Lindemann reworked stock shock, Fox shock, Penske shock (rebuilt several times and resprung) the only shock that I bought twice was the Ohlins (for a second bike). I feel that it represents the most bang for the buck but that is in a race track setting where anything that makes you faster is worth the money. Having said that I would still buy a new Ohlins for a street bike over a used Fox shock that has limited adjustments and may require rebuilding anyway. At least when you buy new you know what you are getting. From what I have heard from others on this forum the CBR900RR shock is not worth the effort to modify but I have no personal experience with them.
        Faster than your mother... She's what the pros use.

Comment

Please answer this for me. Why would a shock that cost 500 or more require rebuilding? Are they worn out or are you adjusting them for track conditions?

Comment

They wear out, Just like your front forks, They need to get recharged and or have new oil or springs put in them.

I have the Ohlins on the Racebike but have you to experience the ride.

I have ridden a Hawk with the stock shock and the 900rr, For 60 bucks I would say the 900rr is worth it for the ride height (if done right) but that is about it.

There is also Wilburs that makes a shock. I think they are better than progressive but not as good as Ohlins.
            BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
            Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
            "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

I have short legs I don't need anymore ride height. I was just wondering about the shocks because I constantly read about guys needing to rebuild their shocks more often than seems prudent.

Comment

I was at the same situation and ended up with penske. Like other had said, if you buy a fox, you probably have to rebuild it. The cost of a used fox and rebuild=new penske that is built for me.

Comment

conclusion

yeah, i put in a call to j.d. hord today to just ask advice.

in the end, the progressive is seen as not much more than a stock replacement - so much so that it uses the stock spring. on a 20 year old bike, somehow i don't see investing in a solution that involves a 20 year old stock spring.

so i will save my $$ and purchase the lesser of the 2 penskes. it's not cheap, but it's a better solution to me than buying a shock that may need to be rebuilt with god knows what spring.

that should suit my needs for the next couple of years and should i wish to upgrade the shock, i can send it back to penske.

thanks for everyones input and hope to see you around.

Comment

Pay close attention on ebay if you want a shock. I won a new Ohlins for my hawk for $400. The guy had it listed as "ohlins shock", he did not know what bike it was for, some honda f3 guys bid it up, Im not sure they knew what it was...
                    whatsoever your hand should find to do, do it gladly, because there is no work, love, knowledge, or wisdom in the grave...

Comment

I went with and love my Wilbers shock. You give them your weight, height, riding style and they will even raise or lower the shock 1 inch at no extra cost. It's not as good as the Ohlins but with the limited choices out there I'd rather go with a new shock built just for me then a used beater off of ebay. Just my 2 cents.
                      The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred traveling speed to the number of bad scars on his body.
                      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Whilst removing my swingarm on my Honda Deauville I thought I'd take a picture of the shock and compare it to my OEM Hawk one.

"Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
                        • Ohlins Rear Shock
                        • F2 front wheel
                        • VFR750 rear wheel
                        • Hiperform seat&headers
                        • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
                        • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

just curious before i make my final decision.

what was the cost of the wilburs shock?

what is the shock in the picture next to the stock shock?

thanks

Comment

Originally Posted by tlewis33
                            just curious before i make my final decision.

what was the cost of the wilburs shock?

what is the shock in the picture next to the stock shock?

thanks
                            The one on the left is from a Honda Deauville. A UK Hawk shafty drive with bags.... well, loose description.

Check with Steve Lenac ( [email protected] ) for quotes on Wilburs shocks. He offers a discount to Hawk owners I believe.
                            Mark
                            88 HawkGT (original owner)
                            99 Concours
                            02 VFR800

Comment

Then... the Deauville shock can be used in our Hawk's ?

Sorry for the question but don't know too much yet about my '88 Hawk (I bought it in May).

Comment

Working...
                              X