Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

40hp on the Dyno, Is my new Bros 650 Sick?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    40hp on the Dyno, Is my new Bros 650 Sick?

    I just bought a BROS 650 Razz over here in japan for about $2000. 1988 26000km, excellent condition (best condition i've ever seen a bros in real life). Moriwaki full exhaust system and either new or very fresh consumables all round (from tires to chains, sprockets and fork seals). Also the bike has tube handle bars and a fly screen ( pics as soon as i get it home from the shop on Friday). I'm not sure about the handle bars yet but i can always switch back to clipons, they could come in very handy for a 400km each way trip to Tokyo i'm doing in May.

    My question is, I got them to put it on the Dyno as over here test drives aren't allowed. The Hp curve is beutifully straight all the way up to it's top of 40hp. I would have though that the bike would have been getting at least 45hp considering the exaust system installed although I can't find any evidence of anything other than a stock airbox and i'm assuming stock jetting.

    Do these details and hp figures all tie up or should i be worried?

    I have a few immediate modifications at hand and would really appreciate some advice as i'm pretty sure you all have them done already.

    1 - new jetting and air intake to go with the moriwaki system.

    2 - Race tech cartridge emulators.

    3 - new tires to replace the Dunlop whatevers the previous owner had on the bike.

    please keep in mind my disposable income is at an all time low right now so ohlins fork recommendations will do nothing but tease me.

    Thanks all for any advice you can muster.
    '88 BROS 650
    Race Tech Springs + Emulators
    Factory Jet Kit + UniPods
    Moriwaki exhaust
    Ohlins Shock
    Want : corbin gunfighter, black pearl wheels, 916 chain guard and lot's lot's more.

    http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1410547/

    #2
    Hi Rory,
    I have been told the Bros in stock set up performs peak HP
    as low as 42 HP.

    Minding your low budget
    the best temporary solution would be to
    insert a 145 main jet into the front cyl carb and a 140 jet into the rear carb. The Honda dealer asks no more than 10.- EUR for these parts.

    Furthermore use one or two tiny spacer to lift the stock needles by about 1mm.

    Stick with the stock air filter.
    I think Hord said these would breathe better than the K&N.

    Comment


      #3
      It could be poor jetting or it could just be that dyno reads low,you'd really have to know what other bikes on it were making.

      I'd love to see that Moriwaki pipe.

      Comment


        #4
        Hi Joel,
        looka right here
        http://www.hawkster.de/modules.php?n...showpage&pid=7

        Cheapest way to use an aftermarket muffler
        is to buy a BOS y-piece of a SV650 that slips on the stock headers.
        Quote 2nd SuperTrapp sample at the bottom of the list.

        Comment


          #5
          What does it take to become your own mechanic?

          Cheers For the help, it's put my mind to rest knowing the kind of stock hp you guys have heard of. I know it's not all about power but the hawk is a bike that will really make great use of every little improvement.

          I pick up the bike on Friday and probably start ordering my race tech emulators, factory stage 3 jetting and some unipods to make use of the moriwaki.

          Quick question to anyone who's done much work on carbs and forks, especially novices.

          Does it take nerves of steal to ride the bike after you just tore it apart replaced some internals and put all back together? or is it all fairly logical with a quick learning curve.

          Thanks again
          '88 BROS 650
          Race Tech Springs + Emulators
          Factory Jet Kit + UniPods
          Moriwaki exhaust
          Ohlins Shock
          Want : corbin gunfighter, black pearl wheels, 916 chain guard and lot's lot's more.

          http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1410547/

          Comment


            #6
            Re: What does it take to become your own mechanic?

            Originally Posted by rorycooney
            Does it take nerves of steal to ride the bike after you just tore it apart replaced some internals and put all back together? or is it all fairly logical with a quick learning curve.

            Thanks again
            depends...
            if your confident in what you're doing, you tear into it, rebuild it, and feel better about it.
            if you doubt your abilitys, or you hackjobed somethign, then you might not feel as good.


            but really, it is all fairly logical.. if you have a mind for mechanics at all, you can look at it and see how it works for the most part.... its a quick learning curve IMO.

            Comment


              #7
              Front fork conversion can be a bit daunting, but the race tech instructions are good, just long and detailed.
              Just take your time, and slowly do one. The second fork leg will only take you 1/2 to 1/3 of the time to do!
              -I'm sorry....I did not know she was your sister.
              -If Buckleys cold mixture went rancid......how would anybody know????
              -Dont piss off the quiet guy with the chain saw.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally Posted by NT696
                Front fork conversion can be a bit daunting, but the race tech instructions are good, just long and detailed.
                Just take your time, and slowly do one. The second fork leg will only take you 1/2 to 1/3 of the time to do!

                would you happen to have a copy of those instructions to post up???

                all the online write-ups i have found are not had detailed has i need
                1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

                Comment


                  #9
                  Would be glad to post the instructions. - Just got to figure out how. What is the easiest method?) If needed it could be a sticky for future users.
                  -I'm sorry....I did not know she was your sister.
                  -If Buckleys cold mixture went rancid......how would anybody know????
                  -Dont piss off the quiet guy with the chain saw.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    scan or snap a picture

                    if you have the picture on the web some where
                    right click on the image, go to properties and find the address for the picture

                    copy and paste
                    [img]example address[/img]

                    surround address with the [img] code

                    if that don't work pm me and I will send my email and I will post for everyone, in the "how to" section that doc started
                    1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally Posted by NT696
                      Would be glad to post the instructions. - Just got to figure out how. What is the easiest method?) If needed it could be a sticky for future users.
                      get the pic, email it to me, and i can even put it on the hawkGTforum server...

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Ill try to scan and e-mail soonest.
                        -I'm sorry....I did not know she was your sister.
                        -If Buckleys cold mixture went rancid......how would anybody know????
                        -Dont piss off the quiet guy with the chain saw.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          16 hours till I get my BROS!

                          if only there was someway to squeeze a few more hours daylight after work.

                          Thanks for the info. on the forks, These Japanese Engineers over here are teaching me all about the kind of mind numbing procedures that might get me through a fork rebuild smoothly.

                          I definitely think i'll be tackling the forks asap but not before I get a good reference point of the old forks.

                          One last paranoid question. How easy is it to slightly mess up a factory 3 jetting and end up with a lump of scrap metal (possibly while riding)? How long do you reckon it would take for a newbie to install the kit assuming all goes well?

                          Sorry for all the questions, I'll be sure to take lots of pics of everything I do to add to the googol of info. you guys already have out there.
                          '88 BROS 650
                          Race Tech Springs + Emulators
                          Factory Jet Kit + UniPods
                          Moriwaki exhaust
                          Ohlins Shock
                          Want : corbin gunfighter, black pearl wheels, 916 chain guard and lot's lot's more.

                          http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1410547/

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: 16 hours till I get my BROS!

                            Originally Posted by rorycooney
                            if only there was someway to squeeze a few more hours daylight after work.

                            Thanks for the info. on the forks, These Japanese Engineers over here are teaching me all about the kind of mind numbing procedures that might get me through a fork rebuild smoothly.

                            I definitely think i'll be tackling the forks asap but not before I get a good reference point of the old forks.

                            One last paranoid question. How easy is it to slightly mess up a factory 3 jetting and end up with a lump of scrap metal (possibly while riding)? How long do you reckon it would take for a newbie to install the kit assuming all goes well?

                            Sorry for all the questions, I'll be sure to take lots of pics of everything I do to add to the googol of info. you guys already have out there.
                            once the carbs are out, the jet kit is easier then the forks. IMO
                            worse case, you drop the carbs and break the casting.. or you put it together and it leaks....
                            the jet kit is pretty simple... take the carbs off, take the bowl off, unscrew some jets, screw new ones in.. clean everything just because you're there... and its almost done.. then pop the tops off, swap needles, and done...

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X