Vapor digi dash (PPR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vapor digi dash (PPR)

Well it was a bit like Christmas today, goodies galore turned up.
    One Item was the Vapor Digi speedo, Tacho etc
    However in the set up section it mentions Pulses Per revolution (PPR)
    QUOTE:
    Every time the engine revolves it sends a pulse to the Vapor letting it know how fast the engine is turning.
    The number of ignition pulses per revolution varies across different engine types.
    Select from 0.5, 1.0 or 2.0 PPR. This setting is critical.
    Default for 4 stroke is 1.0PPR
    Consult your bikes user manual or the manufacturer for details
    HELP
    So Close to the finish line.
    ARCIE31
    If your not livin' on the edge your taking up too much room

same dilema here!
    -NEVER LET YOUR FEARS STAND IN THE WAY OF YOUR DREAMS-
    Most of the pics I have of my Hawk/Mods: http://gallery.me.com/stevenhowell

"Arseing about with my bikes will end in tears." -Keno04

"Dress for the slide, not the ride" - ParcNHawk

Comment

pretty sure it'd be 1... 1 spark at both plugs in the same cylinder per revolution. Meaning, 1 spark at the compression rev, there's also a wasted spark on the exhaust revolution as well... I seem to remember JD saying...

Bill

Comment

I am definitely not an expert on this. Hopefully JD or someone can confirm, but...

What does the vapor unit wire into for pulses?

I would guess the same as bill that it is 1 PPR at *each* coil. Looks like from the wiring diagram ( http://www.fastgm.com/travis/hawk/ha...ng-diagram.gif ) the stock tach is wired to the back coil and so it gets 1 PPR. So assuming the vapor is wired in to the stock tach send 1 PPR it is.

My guess is if you got the setting wrong nothing would catch fire, but the vapor tach would be off times 2 or 1/2. So if you are idling and the tach reads ~600rpm or ~2400rpm, you will know the PPR is not right

Comment

The tach operates off induction... it just wraps around a spark plug wire 10 times. My version does anyway...

Bill

Comment

There 2 options for connecting the RPM tacho cable
            Connect it to the coil
            wrap the cable round the spark plug wire
            Looks like i will connect it to the coil and set it to 1
            Cheers for the help.
            ARCIE31

Comment

Arcie

Did you get that thing to work connecting it directly to the coil??

Mine is being wacky but I have not had much time to fidle with it yet.

Has anyone else connected right to the coil?
              ARRH Don't mind me, that's just the scurvy talkin!

Comment

I did connect it to the coil
                However it's very tempremental.
                When Not ridden hard it shoots way up and off the scale.
                When I ride it harder it tends to be a bit more accurate but not always.
                Last night on the way to a meet it never went above 2000 on the way back it hovered between 4 & 7
                After reading the forum it appears that no matter how we attach the tach it's never going to be great.
                It would be cool if somebody did solve the problem.
                ARCIE31

Comment

Thanks Arcie

That is about where I am at with it.

Totally off the wall. I thought it would settle into a pattern but it never did.

I might try wrapping around the plug wire to see if that helps calm it down a bit.

A

Comment

The plug wire does seem to be the way to go... having tried both.

Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill

I'll be moving it over to the plug wire this weekend.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Comment

so i connected it to the front coil. it was way off. on idle it was maxed out.
                        From what i gather, this thing will always be unstable and innacurate?
                        Which is better: connecting to front or back spark plug??? or rear coil???
                        Thanks

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Thanks

Comment

heres what i would do.

take the nicer cleaner tach signal that is from the low side of the coil (not induction pickup, but the same method as the stock tach)

put a resistor on that line.. ( 1M should do nicely)

feed that into the vapor...

then the vapor has a cleaner, more stable input... (the resistor is incase the vapor is poorly designed and cannot handle a 12V input when its expecting a lower voltage induction generated signal.)

Comment

Working...
                              X