Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat cover painting

OK just got my seat cover today and it has some scratches in it
    I guess I have to use some primer first and sand and primer again before painting.

Does that sound right? can some one point in the right direction
    Thanks

you can get prima filler in a rattle can, most paint suppliers sell it, if not halfords do a rattle can of it, i think its called UPOL! there one is very good for final filling and losing the odd scratch! It even went over a mudguard i was painting after etch primer had reacted on it, cleaned it up very nicely!

cheers
    Robs

Comment

I'd fill the deeper scratches with glazing- spot putty,sand smooth then use the filler primer.If you've never painted before,surface prep ends up being 80% of the job - do it right and you'll get good results.There are many tutorials online as to how to get the best results from a spray can,like http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_repaint.htm

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the info, I am reading it now.

Comment

Yep... they are unfinished covers... just a coat of high build primer isn't going to cut it. Like was mentioned, spot putty and then prime is the way to go.
          I filled, sanded, primed, painted, and cleared, sanding in beween color coats. Turned out very nice.

Good luck!
          Bill

Comment

Ya it looks good in your picture..
            It seems like a lot of work. I might ask a friend who who restores classic cars..Ill ask him first before I start work.

Comment

It's really not a pile of work... but I already had a bunch of body supplies from working on my Jeep.
              The biggest time saver was using actualy automotive paint that I got put into spray cans... it's dries so much faster than your typical spray bombs.

But, if you've got a buddy who's already setup... so much the better... won't take him long at all.

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X