two gas tanks ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

two gas tanks ??????

I have a 88 hawk, the tank i have is all rusted out and came with the bike . the bike came with a extra tank . but when i started to look at the bottom of the extra tank. i notice that it is defferant on the bottom one goes up and the other hangs down .. is there a differants in tanks from year to year.. please help summer coming fast ......

I believe they are all the same, only varied in color. Not positive though. I am in a similar boat I have a rusted out 88, and another tank, but not sure what year the second is. Since both are off the bike right now. I took a quick look and they look identical on the bottom to me. I could post pics if that helps. It is possible you have a tank from a different bike, but I can't think of anything that would look similar. cbr f2/f3s are used sometimes, but are wider.

Does that tank fit on the bike? What area is different, can you post pics?

Comment

i got a 91 tank and IF any year would be diffrent 91 would be it.

i can post some pics if it would help
      1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

ya i could use some pic .. i do have two differnt tanks .. and i thought all the bikes where the same ...

Comment

Here is a pic of my tanks. The right one is an 88, the left is my "new" one that has been repainted multiple times ( badly ), but now that I see a nice pic of the bottom I would guess it was originally the 88 blue one. In US grey and blue were the stock 88 colors. 89-91 were all red. HTH.

Comment

I just looked at the part numbers to the subframe and it seems that there is a small difference in the '88 versus '89-'91 models. The tanks have different part numbers between all the years with the exception of the '91 models sharing the same part number with an '89 california tank. My best guess is that Honda may have changed the angle of the rear tab. I honestly don't think that this will be too much of a problem to compensate. You might have to modify the subframe a little.
            It's scary how slow I am!

'88 HawkGT - crashed as all hell - Hiperform subframe, VFR rear wheel, F3 front end, Penske shock.

'05 Ducati S2R - Monstrack mirrors, CRG levers, Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder, ProItalia tail chop, Arrow damper, Nichols flywheel, Suburban Machinery bars

Comment

i will post a pic of my 91 tank tonight

Comment

I just tried to put my 1988 Fuel Cap onto my 1990 Hawk but it wouldn't fit
                because there is a cut out in the 1988 filler neck, to accept the Fuel Cap

1990 Tank

However the 90 fuel cap will fit the 88 Tank
                "Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
                • Ohlins Rear Shock
                • F2 front wheel
                • VFR750 rear wheel
                • Hiperform seat&headers
                • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
                • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

sorry about the wait

this is a 91, looks the same to me?

Comment