Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Fluid

I've seen it mentioned on here but for clarification:

Is the stock fluid DOT 4? I've only used DOT 3 in cars and thats all I have lying around. I don't think I've seen DOT 4 at the autoparts store, is it off to the dreaded Honda dealer?

I have always used either Dot 4 or Dot 5 in my cars... I got my Dot 4 at a auto parts chain store.
    Rob
    88 Street Hawk
    F2 tank, Aztec8 dual 4", Duc seat and CF cowl, Stage 3 jet, Uni Pods, M4 stubby, SV650 clips, controls & fuel pump, GSXR front mc and CFB1000 front caliper, F3 forks upper and internals, Penske 8983, Gino RCR, rear jump plates & R6 pegs and Vapor gauge...
    04 CRF50 pit bike and stunt runner...
    91 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (she's a runner now...)

Comment

I don't think dot 4 and 5 mix.

Dot 3 and 4 mix.
      BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
      Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
      "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

correct me if im worng but if they dont mix you should rebuild and replace all the seals on the calipers, right?
        1988 & 1991 hawkgt, 2005 rc51

Comment

I never mixed the 2. I used Dot 5 in my more hopped up cars (GTI, turbo A4, Quattor Coupe) and Dot 4 for regular brake work.

as for changing out seals...never done it and never had a problem.
          Rob
          88 Street Hawk
          F2 tank, Aztec8 dual 4", Duc seat and CF cowl, Stage 3 jet, Uni Pods, M4 stubby, SV650 clips, controls & fuel pump, GSXR front mc and CFB1000 front caliper, F3 forks upper and internals, Penske 8983, Gino RCR, rear jump plates & R6 pegs and Vapor gauge...
          04 CRF50 pit bike and stunt runner...
          91 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (she's a runner now...)

Comment

From the Hawk Manual: Use only Dot 4 Brake Fluid.
            -----------------------
            88 Bros
            93 Supra TT 6sp
            03 Sh*tbox Opel Combo
            -----------------------

Comment

http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html
              BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
              Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
              "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Good link Doc, Thanks

Comment

DOT3 and DOT4 are both identical hydraulic fluids... the major diff is the required minimal wet and dry boiling points.

because of this, they can mix... and most good fluids say " for DOT 3 and/or DOT4 brake systems"

DOT5 is silicone based... its not superior in anyway other then it does not attract water. applications for it are show cars that sit around for months and years... some marine craft, ect...
                  it is NOT a higher performing fluid.. look in the best race cars/bikes in the world, they all run some form of racing hydraulic fluid or DOT3/4 style fluid.... they do not run silicone fluid....
                  DOT 5 cannot be mixed with any other brake fluid. DOT5 generally needs the system rebuilt to be clean enough for it

Comment

Working...
                  X