This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fuel cap leaks gas from keyhole

I just got a new gas cap and after riding around I get gas bubbling out of the keyhole.

I figure it has something to do with the vent. How is that vent supposed to work? There is a rubber piece that lines up with the gas tank vent hole at the bottom and a hole in the cap at the top of the rubber piece. I cannot figure out if the vented gas fumes are supposed to go up that rubber piece, then into gas cap and then out the side of the gas cap, or if vented gas is supposed to then vent out the center of the gas cap.

There is a piece of rubber that seems to be keep the vented gas from exited the gas cap to teh outside of the gas cap.

First question is why did you change your cap, and the new one you
    bought, is it EXACTLY the same or are there some slight differences?

The cap can be taken apart and inside there is a small spring loaded valve
    which I assume allows any pressure to be diverted via the valve to the
    vent shown above in the tank.

Maybe I'll do a step by step picture process to show you how to take the cap apart incase anyone wants to change the barrel for their key.
    Let me know
    "Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
    • Ohlins Rear Shock
    • F2 front wheel
    • VFR750 rear wheel
    • Hiperform seat&headers
    • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
    • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

They are exactly the same. All three of them (This is the second one I have bought; the first one was painted black). I keep assuming stock means unpainted so I have not been clarifying that when I buy these caps.

I changed the gas cap because my bike did not come with an ignition switch. So I wanted to buy a new ignition switch, so I figured I would try and get the gas cap and helmet lock to match so I would have one key.

Unfortunately it seems like the gas cap has been painted silver and now it is stained from the gas that leaked.

I would like to figure out how to fix this gas cap since I already spent $15 on a new Honda key.

Comment

Can you give some instructions on how to disassemble the gas cap? It would be very appreciated.

I am afraid to mess up the round rubber seal.

Comment

Another question , are tha caps you are buying from Honda New? Its just
          that you can buy aftermarket caps, this one looks OEM but it has a picture
          of a gas pump on the key flap.
          http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures/fuel/tap019.jpg

OEM or Stock are normally painted silver.....

If I ever need a cap I normally get one from a breakers. Drill out the
          old barrel carefully and replace it with my key barrel.
          I'll show a step by step guide later today

• Ohlins Rear Shock
          • F2 front wheel
          • VFR750 rear wheel
          • Hiperform seat&headers
          • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl

Comment

The previous owner had removed the ignition switch.

I wanted to put an ignition switch back on the bike that would also open the gas cap and seat lock, so I bought a set. Then I got a genuine Honda key from a dealership. I like to have one key on it's own keychain for my bike so I don't have the rest of my keys rattling around.

The gas cap that was on my bike looked like cast Aluminum. It is the same color as the underside of the gas cap. The one on my bike right now (that matched the ign key) looks like it is painted silver.

I took off the rubber piece that goes from the tank to the vent hole and the gas no longer bubbles from the keyhole. I am sure something is clogged because it bubbles from the keyhole when I put that rubber piece back in.

Comment

FWIW here is how I disassembled my fuel cap to change the barrel and
              the catches which had become seized. This is not an official guide and so if you attempt this it is at your own risk.

Make sure the cap is in the unlocked postion
              The ring that holds the rubber seal in is friction fitted and will pop out
              gently when encouraged with a screedriver, becarefull not to cut the rubber seal

The ring that holds the rubber seal in is friction fitted and will pop out
              gently when encouraged with a screwdriver, becarefull not to cut the rubber seal

Now you can remove rubber seal

and the ring underneath the seal

Undo the three screws

The catch Mechanism will now seperate from the cap

Some caps have a small spring valve here do not lose it

You can use the key to remove the barrel but leave the key in the barrel
              otherwise the barrel will seperate into lots of tiny pieces
              At this point you can replace with a new barrel and reassemble in the reverse order.
              If your catches are seized then continue as below with barrel removed
              MAKE SURE YOU HOLD THE CATCHES WHEN YOU PRESS DOWN THE
              RING WITH YOUR OTHER HAND OR THEY WILL FIRE OUT

Should end up like this if you were reading instructions

When you start assembly and insert catches back in by pressing down on ring compress the catches into the locked postion and ring when released
              will hold them in place. Inserting the barrel will stop the catches flying out
              if you accidently push the ring down.

• Ohlins Rear Shock
              • F2 front wheel
              • VFR750 rear wheel
              • Hiperform seat&headers
              • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl

Comment

Wow JR! Thanks for the work/support!

Hey Cafe,

Where in Baltimore are you? I'm just up the road in Harford County.

I've never had my cap off, but if you need it, I may be able to lend a hand in diagnosing your leak.
                Mark
                88 HawkGT (original owner)
                99 Concours
                02 VFR800

Comment

Bonus.
                  I thought it all had to start with that ring.

I found a subframe latch with the same key code as the ignition and tank latch. I did not have to dig any deep into the gas cap. That is what you call LUCK.
                  Last edited by nt650hawk; 08-20-2009, 07:31 AM.
                  Gino
                  Chain Roller

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE PREDICTABILITY OF STUPIDITY

2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
                  2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
                  2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
                  LRRS HAWK GT Racer CCS Expert #929
                  ECK RACING

Comment

Unsticky
                    BIKES: Honda: RC31 Racebike/ NT650 Streetbike, DUCATI: None at the moment.
                    Former MSF Rider Coach / Trackday Instructor/ Expert Roadracer #116
                    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow."

Comment

Very,very nice.Thanks JR.

Comment

Thanks for the thread JR. I was at the gas station today freaking out because my cap wouldn't open up. Came home and found this. I took it a step further though and took my tumbler apart. Be careful if you do that, there are 5 TINY springs in there. I pulled all the bad pins out that make it a keyed item. Now there is only one pin so a screwdriver would open it up but it prevented me from having to buy an aftermarket one and thats what I really care about at the moment.
                        - Doug
                        1988 Hawk GT

Comment

thanks for the info. i was trying to pry the rubber out first then found this thread!

Comment

what would you guys use to lube all the parts in here on re-assembly? wd40? silicone spray?

Comment

quick question for anyone who has done this. took mine apart, soda blasted it and put it back together. works well (although a little tight) until i put the final retaining ring on it. any thoughts on why that might be? i took it apart and put it back together probably half a dozen times now. everything moves freely and works as it should...

Update. works fine without the final brass-y retaining ring. i dont' see any issue in running without it, anyone disagree?
                              Last edited by gamorg02; 10-02-2012, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X