Leaky fork seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky fork seal

I noticed today after coming back from a long ride that one of my fork seals is slightly leaky. I don't have a stand to take the fork off so I guess it's a job for my local garage.

Is this something that needs addressing ASAP or can it wait 6 weeks until my annual MOT / service is due. Will putting this off 6 weeks cause greater damage? I only use the bike at weekends (I average around 100 miles). I know the seals are fairly inexpensive but how many hours labour do you think a garage would charge me to replace one seal?
    '88 Bros NT650J
    Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
    Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
    Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

ill let you know tomorrow, my other half came back this afternoon with her right one blown and oil all over the radiator, so ill be changing both! ive told her not to out brake them R1s!

cheers
    Robs

Comment

Swipe the info on how to do it is in the "Sticky" at the top of this section

here is the link:-

http://www.geocities.com/bender647/forkseal/

Last time I enquired my local dealer wanted 35 a side but that was a few years ago. But when I went to get the parts they only sold it in a kit with
      new Dust seal etc. But the guy behind the counter said if you only want to change the seals he suggested some Yamaha seals !!! They had the same number on them as the Honda seals and a fraction of the price of a full kit.
      "Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
      • Ohlins Rear Shock
      • F2 front wheel
      • VFR750 rear wheel
      • Hiperform seat&headers
      • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
      • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

Thanks for the link JR. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment to prop the bike up to get the fork off and I wouldn't trust myself actually replacing the seal. I've seen some Jap seals on wemoto for 8 ($16):

http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?u=25266qqq3622478

So I'm contemplating buying them and then paying for fitting at my local bike shop.
        '88 Bros NT650J
        Progressive fork springs, '93 CBR600 F2 fork caps, CBR900RR rear shock, Puig 'Raptor' fly screen
        Fabitappi Monoposto seat cover, Heated grips, Braided brake lines, Buell indicators/turn signals
        Ceramic coated stock headers with custom Yoshi shorty muffler & Muzzy collector

Comment

all you need is a block of wood or a small trolly jack under the front sump! a few spanners and allenkeys and your sorted! start to finnish i did it in 3 hours and that included 2 coffees and a bacon sarnie!

cheers
          Robs

Comment

Sometimes getting the cheap ones may not be the best option as they could need doing again sooner than you think, but this is just my opinion
            "Life may begin at 40, but it doesn't get real interesting until about 150."

• '88 in Candy Flair Blue + '90 in Italian Red
            • Ohlins Rear Shock
            • F2 front wheel
            • VFR750 rear wheel
            • Hiperform seat&headers
            • MSMotorsport Seat Cowl
            • Steve Lenac Tokico six pot caliper

Comment

i had the seals and bushings replaced in my old hawk.... the parts cost $80 canadian... and it takes no more than 40min on each fork for labour

Comment

Working...
              X